Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof problem

Simon5030

Country Flag
great_britain
Well its been a while but something had to go wrong!
With only 6 weeks to my European tour my sunroof decided to go with a clunk when one of my Scouts decided to meddle! :angry-screaming:
Had a look at it and looking at the runners it is clear to see that the left and right are not aligned!!
IMG_20160503_200949.jpg
IMG_20160503_201152.jpg
This is when the roof is fully tilted open, i didn't dare push it any further as its already at the end on the RHS,
I am guessing that something has slipped and caused one of the drive tracks to jump position as one side of the sunroof lifts before the other!
Any suggestions on re-aligning the sides? had a look at the manual but its a bit vague and i cannot work out if i need to disconnect the drive motor then re-align then reconnect?

Thanks
Simon

PS, like the new site!!! well done admins!

Managed to get this sorted,
1) Remove trim from the sunroof mechanism
2) Remove the light cluster, this was the tricky part as it took me a while to work out you need to pull down from the window side and not the switch side!
IMG_20160507_141428.jpg

3) Undo the 2 bolts holding the motor in place, this will just drop down
IMG_20160507_141403.jpg

4) Inspect the drive gear and worm tracks for damage or wear
IMG_20160507_141344.jpg

5) Align each side runner (one marked L and one marked R, not sure what these mean! :lol:) with the alignment marks on the runner guide (see below), once both are correctly aligned then pop the motor back in!
IMG_20160507_141446.jpg

It seemed like the problem was actually caused by being a little dry on the tracks, reset it once and ran it though and it just did the same again, checked all the sunroof gaps and alignment and it was spot on, greased the tracks and bingo!

Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job!

I need to do an all round lube run around the 120 soon. Will hit up the roof as well.

Regards

Good news that you have it fixed. So what actually happened? Did it jump a tooth on the drive? I wonder if there was a "special" way to reset this - like with the auto windows.

Good news that you have it fixed. So what actually happened? Did it jump a tooth on the drive? I wonder if there was a "special" way to reset this - like with the auto windows.
Well done for fixing it, and for such a nice write up on how to correct the problem. :)

Because i reset it several times and it did the same thing i was expecting a stripped spot on the 'worm' track or the drive sproket but it was fine so i guess it was just a tight spot that grease sorted out?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Many thanks indeed Simon. Will be greasing those tracks when my vehicle finally gets here.

Great write up, thank you for taking the time to share, very much appreciated!

Back