Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to change window rubbers

Rob

Garage
I finally decided to do my window rubbers today and was delighted to find that it was rather easy. Here is the guide for the benefit of others.

First wind down the windows and remove the original rubbers, some pliers are useful. Take note to how the original rubbers go quite deep into the door along the guides. You can try fitting the new ones without taking off the door panel by sliding them down the guides, but if it gets sutck then you will need to remove the panel. To remove it you need to undo 3 bolts marked in red below, and then remove the bit of plastic behind the door handle (green).
08032010019.jpg

Now you can gently pull the panel off, making sure you don't break the plastic clips.

Now remove the plastic sheeting and pull the new window rubber down
08032010018.jpg

Also if you remove the door panel it may be a good idea to grease the electric window mechanism guides.

Once you know how to do this then it takes 15 minutes per door. Also the rear door have screws in similar places to the front.

Now that i have replaced the window rubbers the windows rush up and down, like new :cool:

Makes a big difference having windows that will go up as well as down and at a decent rate :D

Am I right in remembering that the arm rest pad that covers the two right hand screws in the picture is just held on with clips so prising upwards releases it?

Yup no more pulling the window up :lol:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Am I right in remembering that the arm rest pad that covers the two right hand screws in the picture is just held on with clips so prising upwards releases it?
Yes that's correct. Thanks Jon

And was there a screw holding the door handle plastic trim on :mrgreen:

And for those of you that want new window rubbers I happen to have a pile of them available, just like the ones Rob fitted, well below dealer price ;)

PM for details.

Ian

Jon Wildsmith said:
And was there a screw holding the door handle plastic trim on :mrgreen:
you got me again!

Right, to further improve the windows i decided to clean the contacts on the switches. I have been told by Julian at Overland Cruisers that this alone will improve the speed of the windows. I have just done the drivers one but i will do the others as well. Be warned though, if you don't trust yourself to take something apart with tiny springs for fear of not having the patience to put it back together then don't try to do this.

Prise the panel with all the switches off the door panel and unplug it from the wiring loom. Undo all the screws on the back to remove the front plastic trim and then turn it over and remove a further 3 screws (this is straightforward so no pics).

Right when removing the buttons be very careful, keep the assembly horizontal and remove the buttons vertically, and make sure you don't press the rear window lock switch. Once removed take note of how the tiny spring is attached to the window lock switch in case it decides to fly across the room :roll:

Now you will see this:
DSC07962.JPG

Remove the springs(red) and the metal contacts(green). Clean all the contacts (the above photo was taken after cleaning btw) You can see one of the contacts bellow before cleaning:
DSC07960.JPG

Once clean move onto the drivers window switch:
DSC07957.JPG

Here you need to clean the contacts on both sides of the copper leaver (marked in green) I found cotton buds very useful.

Now put it all back together, you may have to gently compress the contacts on the window lock switch CAREFULLY to get it back in place. Once in place replace screws and check if all the switches feel right.

I haven't tried it yet but im sure it will make a difference.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very nice write up Rob. These get talked about a lot but I don't think I've seen a proper how to before and with pictures too :D

So the rubbers are round the door top - and not inside the door itself?
Is there anything inside the actual door which might need cleaning? (pictures please)

The rubbers go down the channel to about half way down the door Andy but they slide in and out from the top.

Andy Walker said:
So the rubbers are round the door top - and not inside the door itself?
Is there anything inside the actual door which might need cleaning? (pictures please)

you can see here how far the rubbers go into the door
09032010020.jpg

And in this pic you can see how you push the new rubbers down into the guides
09032010021.jpg

Hope that helps

Did my rubbers today, & what a MASSIVE difference, should have done it ages ago, I cant stop opening & closing the windows now!!! They whiz up & down

Really easy to do.

Many thanks to Ian Rubie for supplying them and his super fast delivery.

Andy

U mention having a pile of new window rubbers? How much r they going for as could consider following what u guys have done. Cheers

Toyota main dealer.
Not aware of any after market sellers.

Chris

I just ordered mine through Ian Rubie only today :thumbup:

Another job to add to the ever growing list. Improving the LC each day. At this rate it will be a complete new truck :D

Ah, perhaps Ian has a few left.

Chris

He had 2 sets left when I spoke to him a few days ago. Only 1 now ;)

Back