Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

442F Gearbox ID

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
How can I tell if I have the all electronic A442F or the hydraulically controlled only A442F gearbox?

My 80 is a 1992 and the shift leaver has a L-2-3-D-N-R shift pattern if that helps with the ID?

If it has an OD button on the side of the shifter it is the electronicly controlled one and if it doesn't have an OD button it is the older hydraulic unit.

Jon Wildsmith said:
If it has an OD button on the side of the shifter it is the electronicly controlled one and if it doesn't have an OD button it is the older hydraulic unit.
Bugger....... I have the old one then, do they have any know issues?

And don't you dare say overheating when going up Shropshire hills :D

AFAIK they're essentially the same box with no specific problems. Neither of them is great in the cooling department and could do with some extra help when you add big tyres and lots of weight. AFAIK there's no lock up kit option for your box though and that's something that can be a big help by holding it in 1st but manually locking the TC. When the TC is locked there is negligable heat produced, it's all the slipping of an unlocked TC that causes the heat plus as the TC's get older I believe they get slightly less efficient making the problem worse.

I feel like I am doing some thread mining but there isn't too much around the 442F Gearboxes and thought I would throw something in just to see if there is anyone with advice out there...

I have a 1991 HDJ80 5 speed manual and have just purchased a second hand 442f Hydraulic gearbox and transcase to convert mine... Also have a new part time kit to install...

I have been very busy getting auto bits and there are a few...
- Drive/prop shafts
- Flex plate
- Shifters
- transcooler
- etc

I have pretty sourced all those but the bloody kickdown linkages on the side of the diesel fuel pump are a bit of a problem... good thing I am in no hurry

Another way to identify a Electronic or a Hydraulic gearbox.
An Electronic Gearbox has on the left side of the gear box just above the small blue ID badge there is a step which has a power plug. On a Hydraulic it is blank...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IMHO the older box is the better one! it lock up much easier, doesn't change down or unlock so readily or every time you lift off for a corner. In fact i'd say its way way better than the newer one.

I'd be interested in the manual bits your taking out........

Kiwipete said:
AndycruiserguyLomas said:
Plus a pair of auto diffs!!

Andy(TTG) :thumbup:

Manual and Auto's are both 4.1:1 in Aus anyway, not sure about you guy's...

Well you learn summat new every day, yes in the UK manuals have 3.9 autos 4.1. Just shows the regional variations.

Andy(TTG) :thumbup:

Back