Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can I upgrade from the 92 to post 93 brakes...?

Lorin

The brakes on my 92 are still pitiful despite just being done. What would it take to upgrade to the bigger brakes from a 93 onwards? I'm not worried about ABS. Is it simply a case of bolting on the larger calipers and bigger discs or is there more too it, such as changing the master cylinder etc?

Are there any other realistic (affordable) options to get bigger brakes - can other calipers be bolted on from later landcruisers?

Hi Lorin and welcome here!

I think you can simply bolt on the bigger discs and calipers. I am not aware that the bolt spacing on the calipers is different (maybe you can even use the <92 calipers?). You will probably need the later dust cover too I would imagine.
Regarding the master cylinder, I think you should be ok with your current one as I seem to recall people making the switch and not replacing the entire braking system :twisted:

I presume you've tried using fancier aftermarket brake pads - although the jury is out on whether EBC etc are actually better than the OEM ones. After spending some money on your current set-up and not getting very far, I would think that you'd be better off spending money on the bigger discs and calipers and seeing how you go rather than trying fancier discs or pads in your current spec. You should be able to get some >92 calipers off Stef and you can rebuild them yourself using the Toyota kit (I have the part no's somewhere if you need them) - that way you'll have virtually new calipers to match your bigger discs and new brake pads :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Cheers Andrew,

I think you're right. It's not worth messing about with better discs or pads if the brakes are simply too small to start with. Regarding what you said about the bolt spacing, am I right in thinking that the actual caliper is also bigger on the post 93 model and not just the discs? If so, I'll contact Stef and start with getting some of tha later calipers. If you have the part numbers to hand that would be a big help. I'll just go straight ahead and order the rebuild kit as soon as I've got some calipers.

Best wishes,
Lorin

Hi Lorin

You might be in luck - I know Stef has a truck just in which i think has the bigger calipers , dust covers etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As in my last post on your other thread, get hold of Ian Rubie about the caliper rebuild kits. I got front and rear kits from him, so he knows the part no's. Stef will be able to tell you what the differences of the older and newer calipers are and if they can be easily interchanged.

I believe the part numbers for the (>92) cylinder refurb kits are:
Front -04479-60020
Rear - 04479-60030

Cheers,

Cheers Andrew I will do. Thanks for the help.

Adrian, do you know Stef's username on here or how I can contact..?

Cheers

Hi Lorin,
Welcome, Steff's username is Stefoil.
Chas

If anyone is looking to contact stef btw i find its best to ring him since he does not often check on here. Busy pulling trucks to bits.

Yeh, I second that. Just spoke to Stef and seems he's pretty busy at moment and not getting much time to check messages etc

The calipers are the same for old and new trucks. The newer ones just got bigger discs and the mounting points for the caliper moved further out giving the pads more leverage. On the front you would need swivel housings from the newer truck to bolt your calipers onto and for the rear you would need the backing plates. The rear backing plates may be the expensive part as a seller might only be willing to sell the whole casing.

If you haven't rebuilt the calipers I would do that first as you might be losing out from the pistons not moving freely. Even with the bigger discs and calipers further out the brakes are not great with big heavy wheels (tyre size makes a big difference) so before you go to a lot of trouble it might be worth getting a drive in a newer truck with the same size tyres as yours. My old 80 hated stopping :D

I'm going to get a quote tomorrow from Toyota re the backing plate for the rear. I didn't realise I'd also need the front swivel housings so thanks for that Jon. Regarding the wheel size thing, I'm sure my current 37s aren't helping but I am dropping to 33s (285/75/16) this Saturday. I'm just mindful that in planning for the overland trip to come, the current brakes are really going to suffer with a fully loaded truck, so I may as well get the bigger brakes and upgrade the pads and discs with them. I will rebuild the bigger calipers before I put them on to ensure they're working as they should.

I got a lift in Julian's truck a few weeks back, which more than illustrated just how much better mine could be.....

You will find quite a big difference in stop & go between the 37's and 33's I think. The backing plates are very expensive from Toyota, can't remember the figure but you won't want to pay it! Swivels and backing plates need to be second hand really to make it economical. THE CALIPERS ARE THE SAME. Sorry for shouting but not sure you noticed that in my last post, you already have the right calipers only their position changes.

Lorin if after changing to smaller wheels your still not happy with the brakes and want to go ahead with the bigger disc upgrade get some grooved discs as they are same price (maybe cheaper) as OEM. Try TBR and ask for the 'landcruiser forum' 10% discount and they should be £150 inc VAT.

Nice one for shouting Jon, I did miss it - totally! Reckon I've got more wrong than just the dementia I was beginning to fear. My ignorance and total lack of knowledge is not in question here but are the front calipers really the same? I was told the rear were the same but the front calipers were actually bigger on the post 93 model. I then assumed they were a bigger front caliper due to housing bigger pistons. If they are the same that definitely simplifies things further.

Back