Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to fit Mile Marker hydraulic winch?

Rob

Garage
Carring on from http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6929&start=10

I have come to the conclusion that i have everything i need to mount my winch. All i need know now is how to fit it.

Here is the diagram from the manual:
pipe%20diagram.JPG

According to the diagram the red goes to power steering pump and green goes to the box.
DSC08029%20-%20Copy.JPG

Do i replace the original banjo with the new one on the pump and box or do i keep the original pipie and mount the new one on top? The streeing valve seems to be missing from the diagram above so would i need to plug it in somewhere else? I know where the PS pump connection goes as the guy who i bought i from pointed it out but i don't have a clue where the right connection is for the other pipe.

Will i need to completely drain the PS system before installing? Do i need to bleed the pipes in a specific way?

Can i use cheap DEXRON II to fill it?

Also i assume it runs on 12 volts not 24 volts as in the diagram, i would need a 30 amp fuse right?

Anything else i should know?

Right i have called around and found out that i need to plump the winch in series so i need to replace the original pipe. Looks like i will need to drain the complete system before connecting the new pipes.

D'oh! I have just realised that Jon has answered my question about were the other pipe goes, on the origional this means that i dont need to replace the original pipe:
Jon Wildsmith said:
The pipe with the banjo will replace and existing pipe connection and the other pipe you attach the original pipe banjo to.
Makes so much more sense. I need to plump it in on the PS pump, on the pressure pipe (the one with the banjo).

When bleeding the system i assume need to bleed as per fsm and then do it all again but instead of turning the wheel i need to run the winch.

What i cant find any information on is what type of fluid to use apart form the Toyota user manual. Will the winch put enough extra heat/load on the system to cook cheap non synthetic dexron oil?

Pretty sure I just used ordinary ATF without any problems and I didn't drain the system, just let it drip a bit :mrgreen: Ian has done this most recently though so perhaps he will have something to say?

Jon Wildsmith said:
Pretty sure I just used ordinary ATF without any problems and I didn't drain the system, just let it drip a bit

Same here, got the winch pipes all lined up and went for the quick swap technique - did not leak that much.

Ian

I fitted the winch originally and you should be able to just plumb it into your existing power steering circuit - undo the high pressure oulet from the pump and plumb in the winch there using the connectors in your photo.

The solenoid valve requires a 12 volt feed.

I missed the fuse size comment Rob, should only need to be a 5 amp tops!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just spoke to First Four and they said i need a 5amp fuse for the non Mile Marker remote then are sending me. (you beat me to it Jon)

All i need to check now is if the solenoid bracket i have fits my 24 valve engine, next to the fuel pump according to they guy i got it off.

Back