Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto Box Filter

Gilbert v H

Hi

My truck has roughly 150kmiles. As I do not have a service history, I am currently replacing all fluids and filters. I did some research, but could not find anything on the replacement on the auto box filter. Should I replace that as well? If yes, where apart from Mr T can I get one?

Cheers
Gilbert

From what i know changing it is not part of the toyota service itinerary. I have read that a good clean is usually enough. I don't have an auto so i could be wrong...

Hi Gilbert,
The autobox "filter" is just a wire mesh screen. Unless it's broken or cracked, a good clean will be as effective as replacing it. If it is showing signs of damage, then you may be in for real problems as the pieces of metal will be wandering around the gearbox doing all sorts of damage. :? So the answer to your query is just give the screen a good clean and replace as much of the ATF as you can :D

Cheers,

I can confirm it's just a mesh filter/screen that can be cleaned and put back.

When you drain the ATF, helps to measure how much you drain so that you can refill with the exact amount. Not all the fluid comes out, especially if you have an additional oil cooler fitted somewhere. It's very easy to overfill the box.

Jeremy L-Jones said:
I can confirm it's just a mesh filter/screen that can be cleaned and put back.

I can confirm that too.... had that done when I bought the truck.... I do that once a year.... not needed but hey I like to look after the truck when in service because I abuse it the rest of the time.... :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I missed this post last night :oops:

I emailed this question to Julian earlier but I suppose 'the masses' might have some thoughts too:-

I am going to remove the sump from my autobox on my 92 80 series Land Cruiser and clean the filter in there, I am lead to believe it is the hydraulically controlled box as opposed to the solenoid controlled one.

If I refill with fully synth AFT is there any risk involved that might ‘bugger up’ what might be a tired gearbox? I posted a few weeks ago that the ATF temp light came on during a moderate hill climb, it looks like this was down to driver error as I just left it in ‘D’ instead of selecting a lower range.

The mileage is allegedly 107,000 km.

We are off to Morocco in late August and I just want my truck to be as prepared as possible.

Fully-synth is supposed to be good for your gearbox, particularly as it's less likely to degrade under hot (overheating) conditions. I don't see how or why fully-synth would be a problem for an old 'box. AFAIK the fancier grades of ATF supercede the older grades - i.e. you can use Dexron III if Dexron II is specced for your truck but not the other way round.

If there is something on the point of failing in your box, presumably you would rather find this out before Morocco than when you're 3,000 miles from home? I don't think new ATF (provided it meets the minimum grade requirements) will be the difference between your box being fine and not.

My 2c anyway! Let us know what Julian suggests!

Cheers,

Thanks Andrew, I plan on dropping the pan off the box Mon/Tue next week so, I will keep you posted.

Just got to find out where to get the fully synth ATF from first
doh.gif

Why not try our resident oil supplier Oilman at Opie Oils Paul?

Back