Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS light again

Gilbert v H

Hello

My ABS light does not come on, although the ABS does not work. The buld is in the dash, so is the fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay. What else could be the reason for the light not to come on?

Cheers
Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,
Are you sure your model ('92) came with ABS? You could check the top of the knuckle housing (next to the top king-pin/trunnion) for the ABS sensor - the wiring sticks out the top and has a dark grey rubbery insulation. If you don't have the sensors, then you don't have ABS.

Otherwise, if you do have ABS, all I can suggest is that you check whether the bulb in the dash is working, i.e. not dead. AFAIK if the fuse is pulled (or blown) or the ABS wiring is broken somewhere, the ABS light should show on the dash.

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
Hi Gilbert,
Are you sure your model ('92) came with ABS? You could check the top of the knuckle housing (next to the top king-pin/trunnion) for the ABS sensor - the wiring sticks out the top and has a dark grey rubbery insulation. If you don't have the sensors, then you don't have ABS.

Otherwise, if you do have ABS, all I can suggest is that you check whether the bulb in the dash is working, i.e. not dead. AFAIK if the fuse is pulled (or blown) or the ABS wiring is broken somewhere, the ABS light should show on the dash.

Cheers,

Well I am not sure it should have ABS and I did not check for the sensors yet, I just thought if the light is in the dash and there is a bulb in there, it should also have ABS. But I am going to have alook for the sensors. I have to take rebuild one caliper anyway.

Gilbert v H said:
[quote="Andrew Prince":20ckn0jh]Hi Gilbert,

Cheers,

Well I am not sure it should have ABS and I did not check for the sensors yet, I just thought if the light is in the dash and there is a bulb in there, it should also have ABS. But I am going to have alook for the sensors. I have to take rebuild one caliper anyway.[/quote:20ckn0jh]

And I also have the fuse for ABS in the engine bay!

Just had a look on ToyoDIY at a '92 VX Ltd Auto t-diesel and it shows the ABS system, so your LC presumably does have it, and my speculation above is all rubbish :oops:

So you're going to have to follow a process of elimination to figure out where the problem lies. The FSM might have some tests you could do to isolate where the problem might be.

Cheers,

Andrew Prince said:
Just had a look on ToyoDIY at a '92 VX Ltd Auto t-diesel and it shows the ABS system, so your LC presumably does have it, and my speculation above is all rubbish :oops:

So you're going to have to follow a process of elimination to figure out where the problem lies. The FSM might have some tests you could do to isolate where the problem might be.

Cheers,

Well, you might be right after all. I was working on the brakes today and there do not seem to be any ABS Senors. The the V5 says 1992, but it's an import so maybe there is a mistake in the document.
But why is there a lamp and a fuse for ABS then??? Strange...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Gilbert

Just a thought do you have the ABS pump in the top right of the engine bay near the wiper motor?

I dont see the pump in that pic. its about 6 inches across with brake pipes coming out of it.

Pic of mine just now (poor quality - mobile phone)

19042010140.jpg

So what is the black can in the back then, which is also connected to the brake circuit?

If it's the ABS Pump which should be connected to those plugs, the question is has it been taken out (there are also no sensors and rings), or was ABS an extra at some point and has just not been put in the car, as I have all the wiring, fuses and light in the dash?

I dont think its part of the abs pump. part of a vacuum circuit - i've never really paid much attention to it. Brake servo?

Regret dont know answer to your other questions.

adrianr said:
I dont think its part of the abs pump. part of a vacuum circuit - i've never really paid much attention to it. Brake servo?

Regret dont know answer to your other questions.

Thank you for the help.

The brake servo is on the other side.

adrianr said:
noticed that - still could be part of the vacuum system though.

Your probably right. Just had a look at the workshop manual. The vacuum pump seem to look a bit different, but it must be something along those lines.

Anyway, one thing is clear. I do not have ABS, so the light does not need to come on :lol:

I am just wondering if some one took it out. I hope my mot is not going to complain, because if it is a 1992 it should have ABS. I probably have to argue it's an import and there is a mistake in the V5.

If it was me i would cross the bridge if i ever get to it. you might find they dont bring it up.

Back