Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Write Off???

Gilbert v H

Well that was a brief enjoyment.

My father crashed my Landcruiser today. Trying to avoid a head on collision on a single track road he went with the front into a big hedge and the other car crashed into the rear driver side.
Damage (as far as (can see):
Front: bumper, passenger side headlight, indicator and mirror
Rear: wheel arch dented in, rear bumper pushed to passenger side, exhaust broken, foglight brocken, top tailgate does not shut, pieces of the other car are sticking in the tyre and the bolt which holds the body on the chassis is missing. There might obviously damage to the drive/ suspension, but I did not drive it after the accident.

The car goes in the insurance garage tomorrow. When I phoned the garage and told them my umber plate (K239MAS) he said "private plate", me:"no k reg", he:" aha, write off then".

My only worry now is, how much is the insurance going to pay out and where can I get a new one? I hope the insurance pays out Chequered Flag prices then.

btw. I filled the car up with diesel yesterday. How can I get it out? I tried a hose, but do not seem to get it deep enough in the tank. After about 1.2 meters the hose does not get in any further, I suppose there must be a bend.

Damn - bad luck there, Gilbert! Really sorry to her your news.
Obviously hold out for the best deal you can with the insurers and point out that finding a decent 80 is nigh on impossible right now. Your best bet might be to take the (good) payout that you've forced out of them and buy back your 80 and then fix it up. Assuming there is no major structural damage like a bent chassis and the body can be panelbeaten ok, you could pick up most of the parts you need from a breaker like Stef and rebuild yourself. Not ideal but you do what you have to in situations like this :cry:

Andrew Prince said:
Damn - bad luck there, Gilbert! Really sorry to her your news.
Obviously hold out for the best deal you can with the insurers and point out that finding a decent 80 is nigh on impossible right now. Your best bet might be to take the (good) payout that you've forced out of them and buy back your 80 and then fix it up. Assuming there is no major structural damage like a bent chassis and the body can be panelbeaten ok, you could pick up most of the parts you need from a breaker like Stef and rebuild yourself. Not ideal but you do what you have to in situations like this :cry:

I thought about this, but probably the payout will be low and the buy back really expensive the way the market currently is. Time will tell.
The problem is those truck are so hard to come by, especially in Scotland.

Hesos christos - sorry to hear this Gilbert...

Hope you get sorted out - at least (it sounds like) no-one was hurt...

Hang in there & let us know how you go on...

Al the best

That's bad luck, that will be a write off :( sounds like quite a bang. To get the fuel out, flip the 2nd row seats forwards, pull the carpet forwards and there's an access hatch in the floor on the passenger side - remove that and you see the top of the tank - remove the tank access plate and you'll see your fuel.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bad news Gilbert. But....

I had my UK 92 TD auto 176000 miles written off in Dec and when the chap from NFU came round I was expecting the worst (and with less damage than yours). He was a really helpful bloke!

A good look at the vehicle (even after the approved repairer had inspected it), questions about new parts fitted, work done, servicing and then a frank discussion about price. He'd done some homework and stated that his guide suggested about £2050... but using a look at Auto Trader as his evidence (not mine) he said that clearly the market was more buoyant for 80s and that ultimately they would offer £3250 minus any excess etc... Very pleased and quite quick.

For once the silly prices worked for me - he even used the advert for the one I bought to replace it as evidence to pay me more! :lol:

I really hope you're as lucky as I was and wish any injured parties well.

PS I did the seat/fuel tank access thing and pulled out 70 litres and took my tyres and other farkles with me to the new one! :mrgreen:

shame about the truck but if you want to get the fuel out then there is a drain bung on the tank

Sorry to hear about the truck Gilbert

Good luck with the insurance

x_shaun said:
shame about the truck but if you want to get the fuel out then there is a drain bung on the tank

Thanks, but I did not have the time this morning, so it went off with £90 of Diesel :evil:

The workshop did not look at it today, so I'll have to wait till Monday.

Only just seen this, I use to work for a recovery firm and we collected damaged cars.

From the damage you have stated, if I was a betting man, I would say you will not get it repaired. Due to age and cost of Toyota parts.

Paul

I think the clincher from the description is the rear wing being damaged badly enough to pop the body mount bolt? Tthat's not a panel you can just unbolt and bolt a new one on and you won't be able to just push it out so that alone is a major repair :(

Jon Wildsmith said:
I think the clincher from the description is the rear wing being damaged badly enough to pop the body mount bolt? Tthat's not a panel you can just unbolt and bolt a new one on and you won't be able to just push it out so that alone is a major repair :(

I am not really thinking that they are going to repair it. I am just hoping for a half way decent insurance payout. If you browse through autotrader just now, there is no 80 under £3990,-.

Update:

Damage £4080,-, don't have a valuation from the insurance yet.

Annoyingly, there is a Cruiser in my area up for sale now and I am abroad for the week and can't look at it. Probably gone by the weekend :evil:

Bad news, got the first offer from the insurance: market valuation £2000.
I was on Glass myself and even they came up with dealer retail price £3000.

I rejected the offer and send them a couple of adverts from autotrader. I am interested to see what they come back with.

Even if they do write it off, make sure you can buy it back for £100 or less. You could get £700 for the axles if the lockers work. I might be after a few bits aswell!!

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Even if they do write it off, make sure you can buy it back for £100 or less. You could get £700 for the axles if the lockers work. I might be after a few bits aswell!!

Paul

It is written off and it is company policy not to allow to buy the car back. It is already at http://www.hbc.co.uk/ and will be auctioned as soon as the insurance and I come to an agreement.
It's an import with no lockers.

Back