Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thatcham Cat 1 security

Yes, one was fitted to my 80 when I bought it. Had it removed - in my opinion the last thing you want while overlanding is an electronic box that has the ability to immobilise your vehicle should it fail in the middle of nowhere. By all means have the worlds loudest siren alarm system but think about the +ves and -ves of an immobilser.

Ian

If it was me I would at least consider the old school method (which we used as kids) - hide a simple switch away somewhere (loads of places in the 80). break the circuit for the fuel and the starter motor. costs you a few pounds in parts and maybe an hour in the truck. fit a flashing led (very cheap from Maplins) (they'll flash for a decade ) - I used to throw my hat over mine at night (left it flashing all the time).

Nothing to go wrong, aside from the switch going faulty and you can easily yank the wires and twist them together again.

Thanks for this!
Well, I could just have an immobiliser fitted and not the rest!
It was hard to swallow that the b****rs had spent at least 20 minutes trying to get l'beast to move! definitely need an immobiliser and an electronic circuit breaker thingy.
My mate in Algeria also had a gadget fitted which registered that the fuel was zero (in both tanks) and he demonstrated it once, so it didn't start, I can't recall (it was a few years ago) how he'd engineered it, but I guess it would put off opportunists stealing his Patrol. The other thing he'd done was that he's somehow electronically cut off the fuel supply, so the car would 'run out of fuel' within about 10 feet or so; not that he ever had it broken into, but you are right, there are ways and means and I'm open to any reasonable suggestions and ideas because I figure it pretty crucial that I get this sorted sooner rather than later.
Cheers
Renate

HauptRenate said:
Well, I could just have an immobiliser fitted and not the rest!
It was hard to swallow that the b****rs had spent at least 20 minutes trying to get l'beast to move! definitely need an immobiliser and an electronic circuit breaker thingy.

Not sure on your logic here. I would go for an alarm but NO immobiliser. The very fact they spent 20 minutes trying to get it going means (a) they were very bad at stealing cars and (b) an immobiliser would have been no help - it was immobile anyway!

As Adrian said, a simple hidden switch would do the job.

Ian

Ian
Well, lets put it this way Ian, I need to do something. Yes I know it was immobilised! that much was obvious, but it would have been nice knowing that they couldn't have broken in, in the first place.... or that it would have taken them even longer to get in then a few misplaced seconds when they used a rusty metal bar to break the small window; the small windows on the rear windows behind the driver and front passenger seems to be a particularly weak point; this is how they broke into it the last time....
They couldn't force the lock either, so I'm thinking of making the locks stronger.
What about polymer moulded to the glass? Any information whether this is a useful thing? as I said, I'm open to suggestions.
Or maybe 'lectric shock....
Hey! why not!
Cheers
Renate

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
HauptRenate said:
The other thing he'd done was that he's somehow electronically cut off the fuel supply, so the car would 'run out of fuel' within about 10 feet or so;

A common method in SA. That way the car is stranded in an awkward place. Your chaps spent 20 minutes in a nice parking bay. Assuming they had got it running, if it had run out on the main road, they would just abandon it because it now looks dodgy.

Why not get a tracker?

If a competent thief wants your truck, he'll get it. Some kind of visible deterrent to put off the opportunistic thief, then a tracker for the thief that really wants your truck.

My old man had a VW Caravelle and it took the b**rds 3 attempts within the space of a week to steal it. 3rd time lucky. They would break in to see his unorthodox anti-theft measures (eg heavy duty chain around clutch,brake and acc pedals :D ) and just returned and tried again until they got it.

(Yes, he was prepared for the 3rd attempt: silent alarm to wake him when they entered the garage, loaded .45 next to his bed....but they are smart.....they came during the day when they finally got it ;) he was relieved he didnt actually have to use the gat...it is only a car after all)

I'm just using one of those steering wheel locks from halfords (with flashing LED) and have a tracker installed, but not yet activated.

HauptRenate said:
Ian
Well, lets put it this way Ian, I need to do something. Yes I know it was immobilised! that much was obvious, but it would have been nice knowing that they couldn't have broken in, in the first place....
They couldn't force the lock either, so I'm thinking of making the locks stronger.
Cheers
Renate

Renate,
Why don't you look into using one of these?
http://www.mecklocksystem.co.uk/index.php?content=cars
Imho, it would be pointless upgrading your locks as they didn't succeed in forcing them. If a thief really wants access to your property they will get in, the more blocks you put in the way the more damge you'll probably aquire in the process. :cry:
The mechlock I've posted, loads of people have fitted these to Land Rovers & they work very well.

Renate, I have a Clifford Cat1 alarm fitted & to be Cat1 it must immobilise at least two circuits, before mine was fitted I asked if I could be shown where the splices would be & if they had said no, I would have found someone else, This will allow me to bypass the alarm if I get stuck in the middle of nowhere with a rare alarm fault, as I said I could bypass it which would allow me to start the engine & as for the siren I could if desperate leave it behind or wrap it in some cloth to silence it.

do you have a manual or an auto?

If you have a manual you can fit a lockable line lock- what it does is prevent hydraulic pressure release in a line- so you activate the device then when someone steals the car they depress the clutch pedal to put it in gear and the clutch won't come back up- hence the car is impossible to drive.

The best bet is to fit the device in the brake system on a port near the master cylinder so that when someone presses the brake pedal the brakes lock on and you can't do anything with the car. Being hydraulic the device is totally reliable and is as likely to leak as the rest of your braking system- BUT there are question on whether or not it would be legal in the UK

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Meck_Lock.shtml

could be a good solution for your problem!

Pugwash
Its an auto.
If it were feasible on an auto it sounds a pretty good idea for the brakes to lock
My only concern is will any of these security devices effect its offroading ability? Especially in sand? I suspect not really, but just checking
I'm thinking along the lines of something that is in operation system-wide, electronically and mechanically.
I drive a lot in sand; I used a newish (it was at that time) Nissan Patrol(?) when I worked in Zambia; the hydraulics and electrics stopped working after a couple of days, so we had to get in another from the British Council in Lusaka, which in Africa-time takes ages (it actually took several days).
Security devices need to be able to withstand hyper-arid zones, obviously, but I'm not adverse to discussing serious options from those in the know, and probably an awful lot of you peeps know shed loads more than me...
Cheers
Renate

I like the look of that mech lock, wondering which connections I would use to plumb it into my auto 80's brakes though.

Stuff the legalities of it, ................if somebody is trying to nick my truck & this prevents it, what the hell!!!!

Andy

"Stuff the legalities of it, ................if somebody is trying to nick my truck & this prevents it, what the hell!!!!"

Ooops, maybe I shouldnt have said that, you never know if poor little Johnny the car thief may have had a deprived childhood & his latest Giro turned up on the doormat of his 'free' house/flat/ bedsit a day or two late ;)

Legal is not important. Lawful is. Course the robbers and thieves that make up the legal stuff will tell you otherwise.

It the man is having off with your truck thats a very nice way to disable him. your tranny / drivetrain might take a beating though as he tries to get it moving again. And i suspect he could get it moving, but not quickly.

just make sure the unit can be got off quickly if insurance ever take a peak post accident, or complete deniability that you know what it is since it was on there when you bought it - all you know is it is an anti theft device but have no idea how it works.

Hi, Not legal to fit a brake lock in the UK unless it is approved by VOSA, Anyway I Doubt it work on a LC due to each wheel having its own fluid line unless of course you fit four, the thief (no offence meant to criminals, please do not shoot me or worse contact your legal aid claims direct lawyer) would just keep going until the pads give out or worse.

On an auto, wouldn't you just put a hidden switch in the brake pedal switch to gearbox ECU circuit so it would be stuck in park?

adrianr said:
A good plan from JW. Simple. (urm not Jon, the idea!!)
That as well :lol:

Do they still do handbrake to gear stick locks? How effective are they and I wonder how easy it would be to get one of those to work on an auto.

Years ago a friend had designed a security box for LR defenders that bolted into the drivers footwell. It was a frame that went around the footwell opening with a fold down door on the bottom that lay flat on the floor. To secure the car you put any valuables on the pedal side of the box and then shut the door, securing the pedals and your valuables. Always thought that was quite a good idea but sadly the friend died and I don't think anything more was done with it.

Back