Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EGR deactivation

Richard Jackaman

I'm trying to improve the performance of my 1995 24V 4.2 Diesel.
I've made the fuel pump mods mentioned on LCOOL which significantly improved the low speed pickuup. There is still a slight hesitation at around 1800rpm. Problem is that I've not been in any other 80 series so don't know what to expect. My 2.4 LJ70 feels significantly quicker but is also a lot lighter.

Next thing to try is to deactivate the EGR. I know this has been discussed on a number of occasions but all the posts I can find seem to be lacking photos.
So, with reference to the attached pic:

2010-04-29_1010367.jpg

1. The rusty pipework shown is the EGR?

2. I should reroute the vacuum pipes between the valves and the solenoids to deactivate it as shown by the yellow curve.

3. The solenoids are shown on the right of the picture pointed to by the yellow arrow?

Anything else I should be aware of?
Cheers

Richard

Thanks. I've seen that link and was wondering if the pipes etc mentioned were the ones shown in my photo.

Cheers

Richard

I think you are correct. It's been a while since i did them on the 24v i had last year. I recall joining the 2 covered by your yellow arc. and the remaining pipes i think i put a small bolt or similar in the ends of each, folded them over then cable tied them tight. just to the right of your arc.

Guys - its been a while does that sound about right?

Sorry to ask, but just for beginners: What is EGR and what effect has the deactivation?

EGR - Exhaust gas recirculation - daft idea. Pulls dirty air from your exhaust back into your intake air. On the 80 it's only on the 24v so your truck is fine.

BTW Richard when you have time you can take off your air intake and get all the gunk out of it from the EGR.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
adrianr said:
EGR - Exhaust gas recirculation - daft idea. Pulls dirty air from your exhaust back into your intake air. On the 80 it's only on the 24v so your truck is fine.

BTW Richard when you have time you can take off your air intake and get all the gunk out of it from the EGR.

Is that to improve the emmission? Something like that on my old Porsches. They have a pump blowing fresh air into the exhaust gas.

Have to change my details, dont have a truck anymore :(

It is supposed improve emissions

Forgot about your truck - sorry

If i made up some blanking plates to remove the egr would anyone be interested?

Does anyone know if there are gaskets in the flanges? Part numbers?

There are gaskets under the egr manifold. They are a metal compressable type. 3 off required

Part No. 25627-17010

When I did my valve clearances last year I took all of the inlet manifold/pipe & EGR system off, you will not believe the amount of crud that the EGR system builds up in the intake pipe (The part that says "Turbo" on it) I cleaned it all out with brake cleaner & a nylon brush before reassembly.

I'd be interested in some blanking plates, how much do you want for them?

If you look at this post on the other site you will see the result of blanking off.

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6738&highlight=egr

Paul would you make thin ones and keep the egr in place or thick ones like the ones in the link above?

Perfect pics, just what i was thinking of doing, i see the earth strap mod too, is that to turn of the heater light on the dash.
What i will probably do is remove my egr and just give it to an engineering firm i know to make plates, not sure on cost but will make up a few.
Out of interest, does anyone know if the 3 plates are the same size?

Hi rob, just seen your post. I was thinking of thicker type and removing it completley to give some room in the engine bay for possible compressor location or even just storage. As i will have them made its just a case of sayiing how thick if you want to fit them and leave egr there.
My only other concern is a possible build up of gunk as the end of the manifold/pipe has a slight downwards angle.

the heater on the intake pipe earths through the egr and when not present it tries to earth through the fuel pump and causes sparks. Julian V wrote this some time ago on the other forum.

could i have some too?

Paul said:
My only other concern is a possible build up of gunk as the end of the manifold/pipe has a slight downwards angle.

The 1HD-FT supplied for some other markets (e.g. Australia) don't have EGR & the intake pipe doesn't have the extra bit on the side for the EGR connection. Fitting one of those would be the cleanest solution I guess.

Brett said:
Paul said:

The 1HD-FT supplied for some other markets (e.g. Australia) don't have EGR & the intake pipe doesn't have the extra bit on the side for the EGR connection. Fitting one of those would be the cleanest solution I guess.
but do they have the heater? also very hard to find

I think the first step is to do the vacuum pipe mods then add to the ever growing list of things to do blanking off and EGR removal.

So I'd also be interested in a set of thicker blanking plates to use with the EGR totally removed assuming I can get the nuts off the manifold.

On the subject of EGR I have to ask the question WHY?

Ok so it recycles exhaust gas back into the system to try to mininise emissions. But, and this is the odd part, you've already uses up all the oxygen in the gas first time through the cycle so your comprimising the combustion second time through. Just a thought.

Cheers

Richard

Back