Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

geargox update

Mark Whiteside

finally got around to removing my auto gearbox (4 weeks in the making)
im sending off the torque converter to be overhauled (fingers crossed) the gearbox is ok
due to the length of time the lc has stood i cant see where the leak from the bell housing is
coming from so by chance when i ordered the torque seal i ordered the front cover gasket and o ring so hopefully this will cure the leak
allso found that my breather system is blocked which wont be helping the situation

im moving house soon so i thought i would get some mods done before the house takes up all my moneys
i have welded up my tailgate
plus i ordered some rock sliders from oec
not happy with mountings on the chassis rail so they will be going back
i was going to put in an order for the famous wildsmith sliders but i no hes a busy chap
so anyway im going to have a go at making my own but allso im going to have a ss steel side exit exhaust fitted
so do i have the exhaust done first or the sliders first
if some one could posts some pics of the famous wildsmith sliders to give me some inspiration
manys thanks

No pictures of the sliders as they are fitted. But if it was me I would have the sliders fitted then the exhaust.

Has anyone actually fitted a side exit exhaust with wildsmith sliders? there doesnt seem to be much room for the exit. or would you mount it under the slider? I got some photos of mine but there on my desktop, will post them when im home.

http://www.mudtoys.com/index.php?option ... view&id=32

In 2-3 months I might be able to make a few sets but you probably want them before then? Maybe someone local would let you borrow theirs to use as a template? Also, ask Ian what happened to his +25mm ones, not sure what he did with them but I know they're not on the green car ;)

What didn't you like about the OEC ones? Always interested to hear what's wrong with designs.

When you say side exit for the exhaust, do you mean in front or behind the rear wheel? I would go behind just because sometimes your wheels a pushing a huge mound of muck in front of them and the exhaust would be in the thick of it.

The front leg of the drivers side slider is set back to allow for the exhaust pipe looping over the chassis rail. If you do side exit in front of the wheel then you would be able to move that leg forward. Bit of a chicken and egg then though :)

someone local for a template you say... Well it just so happens that im in Bristol and your more than welcome to come and have a look at mine, and possibly borrow them but they are a wildsmith special for manuals so one slider will not fit your truck mark.

Jon Wildsmith said:
http://www.mudtoys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32

When you say side exit for the exhaust, do you mean in front or behind the rear wheel? I would go behind just because sometimes your wheels a pushing a huge mound of muck in front of them and the exhaust would be in the thick of it.
Hi Jon,
I am having a Prospeed exhaust fitted on Thursday and had a side exit in front of wheel in mind, I would have thought there would be more muck thrown up behind rather than in front? if not I may have to have a re-think :(
Chas

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Jon
the oec ones are mounted in 3 places on the n/s ive not looked at the o/s yet
the front and rear brackets are mounted on the trailing arm hangers
the rear hanger has a recess for the bolt for the trailing arm but the bracket has not been manufactured for this so there would be a gap of about 8mm between both and if there was a spacer the bolt would not be long enough plus allso the bracket is using the 2 holes above the pivot bolt hole which they have supplied a plate with welded on nuts which does not fit due to a straightening brace between the inner and outer hanger
the front bracket looks ok apart from the hanger has a welded seam above the pivot hole
and the bracket has not allowed for this
i have not spoken to Anton yet as he is away
May be the early lcs are different to mine i dont know

Ref exhaust :
i plan to loose the front silencer
have a straight pipe and a silencer between the chassis and body seal somewhere, having the tail pipe in front of the rear wheel and to have some sort of guard off the slider

Rob said:
someone local for a template you say... Well it just so happens that im in Bristol and your more than welcome to come and have a look at mine, and possibly borrow them but they are a wildsmith special for manuals so one slider will not fit your truck mark.
Thanks for the offer
Will have to meet up some time
i do plan to come to lincomb farm if the lc up and running

Mark, my sliders might be coming off in a week or two so a set can be made up for Marks new 80. I am sure 2 sets could be made.

Paul

You could borrow the jigs and template pieces actually but that does mean fetching and returning them. I was having a rummage earlier and I have a small quantity of chassis plates and U bolts still if you decide to do that.

Here in Spain I have never seen a side exit exhaust and when I suggested it it seems they are a problem if you are crossing a river and the exhaust is exposed to the current which forces water up the exhaust, if you come to a stop or the engine stalls for whatever reason the current can push the water up into the cylinders causing all sorts of expensive problems.

Perhaps the OE design was made pointing down and shrouded to help prevent this?

regards

Dave

But that would mean that with a rear exit pipe you could not drive along downriver either as the water would get pushed up from behind. I think that there has been enough evidence now to show that all that water up the exhaust stuff is a complete fantasy. Water can enter a static exhaust if you stop in a river, but getting it rise up the system above the level of the river is not very likely even if the tube is pointing into the flow. Stopping with the engine off and the the bonnet completely underwater for any period might not be a good idea, but at that point I would suggest that you might be experiencing bigger problems!

Chris

I see what your getting at but as I said the Toyota exhaust points down so is not subjected to the same pressure as an exhaust straight on, you never drive along a river here anyway if it is in flood because the local builder may need a little hard core so he will take a JCB to the dry river bed and dig out a 20 metre/deep hole, along comes the excess from the mountains and the hole fills up and can no longer be seen, sound scary? So they only tend to cross known 'safe' areas however, there is always going to be exceptions to the rule. I also agree if you are stationary then you may have bigger issue to deal with.

I have seen many exhaust's busted where they exit at the rear and the driver has reversed into a bank ect so again many pro's and cons.

regards

Dave

Dave 2000 said:
I have seen many exhaust's busted where they exit at the rear and the driver has reversed into a bank ect so again many pro's and cons.regardsDave
Been there, done that. :lol: :lol:
Chas

Geez, Chas - remind to neither drive in front of nor behind you ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave 2000 said:
the local builder may need a little hard core so he will take a JCB to the dry river bed and dig out a 20 metre/deep hole
We've known that happen in the UK as well :o

Back