Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clutch change

dunk

I have got to do a clutch change on my mates 80 series 4.2D Landcruiser. I have had a nose round the net and have not managed to find any info about doing the job. I just wondered if anyone had done one or has a usefull link. Thanks Duncan

Hi dunk, 20 views and no answer yet, I'm sure one of the guys in the know will be able to help you soon, I had an 80 series but sold it a few months ago and it was an auto, so sorry I cant help.

There are a few threads by Bob Murphy on the other site which would cover this and gearbox removal but its all done on a 90. have a look here.

I would have a look at the FSM for a more detailed describtion here

Are you after information about just changing the clutch or box removal as well? I've only had an auto box out but I think the manual will be a similar job.

I am just after a heads up off someone who has removed the box as the clutch needs changing, any hints, tips or things to look out for. Like how many ppl will i need to take the box out and put it in, is it possible to do it on your back.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
getting box out just the same as any loads of bolts but thats the easy bit its very heavy you will struggle to do it on ground best to get use of ramp and gear box lift you will need to jack up front of engine when you replace box their not a lot o room the top bolts on box you will need 3 extentions it took me about 10hrs thats 1hr to take out and 9hrs to replace ITS HEAVY best o luck

The transfer box is heavy so you can make things a bit easier on yourself by removing that first which will mean not so much weight and also more balanced weight. The gearbox alone will still be quite heavy and you need it on a jack or something, it's not like a car gearbox that you can just lift in and out yourself. I reached the top bell housing bolts using a couple of extensions through the shifter hole. As trapper said it's a tight fit especialy getting it back in and you'll need to tilt the engine back to stand any chance.

Not done one in a LC but done a few in Land Rovers. With Discos you take the engine out as it is easer!! 90/110 you "just" move the box back about 6 inches and fit the new one.
Oh yes, a Disco 3 you have to remove the whole body!!

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Oh yes, a Disco 3 you have to remove the whole body!!
:o That's got to be a joke? :? Has someone been messing with your calender Paul so you think it's April 1st?

Not sure about the box on disco 3 but the dealer said to me that at 105,000 miles the body had to be lifted to replace the rear timing belt.

on the rangerovers i been told by a ex tech that you have to take the body of to change the 2 turbos crazy it took 3 techs 2 days :shock:

wow, now you have to wonder, did they just forget or did they take a concious decision to design a car where you have to lift the body for essentially routine maintenance. (excluding the turbo, but still)

Nah, they thought that after so much trial & error this time they'd designed a reliable car that wouldn't need so much maintenance and repair! :mrgreen:

Back