Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting problems...

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Vay breifly, left MUX's lights on for a couple of hours last night, wouldn't start thereafter, chugga chugga chugga from the starter motor, no engine noise, now't, pooh...

Thought I'd leave it overnight to see if he calmed down by the morning, figured if still problematic just push him out on to the road, bring out Tonka & the jump leads & off to go...

Nope, in the peeing rain he stubbornly refused to play ball - exactly the same symptoms...

Tried connecting onto '+' of both batteries & the engine lift hook as per the handbook instructions so he's been left on the road in disgrace...

Christ he's a heavy lump to shove around on your tod...

Any words of wisdom to assist me tonight would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Are we talking chugga chugga chugga or a click click click from the starter?

Is the starter spinning the engine but not starting it, or is it not even turning the engine over?

Make sure you jump the correct battery :!:

When my batteries died I couldn't jump start it. I tow started it & then bought 2 new ones.

BatteryCaution.jpg

Bat21 said:
Are we talking chugga chugga chugga or a click click click from the starter?

Is the starter spinning the engine but not starting it, or is it not even turning the engine over?

The click I'm used to on a flat battery is a lot quieter that what I'm getting at the mo... Tricky doing car impressions on the 'net isn't it ;-)

The engine doesn't turn over at all... Suspect the starter is jammed. He's misbehaved in a similar manner a couple of times recently but then just started up good as gold after a couple of tries...

Brett said:
Make sure you jump the correct battery :!:

When my batteries died I couldn't jump start it. I tow started it & then bought 2 new ones.

Which one is the 'correct' one Brett? Left or right? I tried to follow the handbook accurately.

They are 'odd' batteries so he might be getting treated to a new pair when he decides to play ball... Especially as there's a winch on the bench waiting to be fitted...

Cheers so far gents

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gav, you're going to need 24v to get the starter motor turning... And chances are both batteries don't have much charge, so you probably need to try jumping both at once. Had one duff battery a while back and I tried jumping it a few times when it caught me out but never had any success. Always battery out and recharge and then off we went. :mrgreen:

Bugger... Will it go with just one of them having had a charge up? And if that handy sticker isn't on my truck, which one should I charge up?

BTW, I like what you're doing with your sig line Andy :D

Gavlad said:
Bugger... Will it go with just one of them having had a charge up? And if that handy sticker isn't on my truck, which one should I charge up?
Obvious answer is " the one that's most flat!" :lol:
Ideally charge both - can you charge one and swap the other for one from your Colorado just to get the 80 fired up?
Otherwise I would try and charge the driver's side one, which is the primary battery I think :? Without something close to 24V and a bit of juice, the starter is not going to turn the engine over with much enthusiasm...

Gavlad said:
BTW, I like what you're doing with your sig line Andy :D
Just waiting for you to get onto projects #2 and #3 so I can expand it :mrgreen:

the passenger side is definitely the one that should have that sticker. I cant understand why anyone would remove the plastic cover from the vehicle, mine didnt have one as well :evil:

Thanks chaps

Rob said:
the passenger side is definitely the one that should have that sticker. I cant understand why anyone would remove the plastic cover from the vehicle, mine didnt have one as well
The sticker may well be there - I was just trying to plan for any eventuality... But, knowing my luck...

Andrew Prince said:
can you charge one and swap the other for one from your Colorado just to get the 80 fired up?
That may be the plan of attack Andy - charge one up over night etc etc.

Andrew Prince said:
Just waiting for you to get onto projects #2 and #3 so I can expand it
Doing my best buddy ;-)

Disconnect your negs and measure separately both battery voltages to identify the suspect(s). No harm to charge them both anyway

Rob said:
the passenger side is definitely the one that should have that sticker. I cant understand why anyone would remove the plastic cover from the vehicle, mine didnt have one as well :evil:
Mines missing as well :roll:

Your starter solenoid contacts are knackered. Get new contacts and don't forget the plunger, from you know who ;) My advice is even if you get it going now stop using it because the opposite can happen - starter jams on and you smoke the starter and wiring :(

Ah just read the bit that says your getting a quiet click. I agree with Jon.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Your starter solenoid contacts are knackered. Get new contacts and don't forget the plunger, from you know who ;) My advice is even if you get it going now stop using it because the opposite can happen - starter jams on and you smoke the starter and wiring :(
I knew you'd say that!!! ;-)

PM sent - awiting reply ;)

Brett said:
Rob said:
Mines missing as well :roll:

I got loads of stickers but they're all in Japanese :lol:

Back