Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

injector pump replaced still have issues

landcruiserjohnb

hi guys
I replaced my injector pump last week because I have had issues with engine vibration and engine cutting out if revved past 2400rpm.
But I am still having engine vibration but it seems not to cut out any more.
My cruiser is an auto and I am wondering if there are other reason s for what is happening.
What about the fuel pump or injectors could they cause these problems.
The cruiser runs very well apart from these issues, has power, no smoke, starts first thing, sound good,
cheers
john

The fuel pump is built into the injection pump John so you've changed that. It could be the injectors, have they ever been serviced? What about the valve clearances and the timing belt, when were they last done? Is the vibration in neutral or only when in gear? If it's only when in gear, is it the same in all gears?

Fuel starvation or ingress of air into fuel system, I would suggest clean lines & replace filter.

hi Guys
Thanks for the replies.
So now I know its not the fuel pump as its inside the injector pump.
The violent vibration only happens when I put it in the first gear be that D or R but runs very well other wise apart from when im stuck in traffic and its in gear, very annoying.
Before I had the injector pump changed the cruiser would also cut out (dead) when driven at over 2400rpm say like a motorway and then I slowed down either to get off the road or stop at a toll plaza.
But this issue has gone, it does not cut out anymore.
Once I tip the accelortor when the engine is vibrating its fine.
I think it will have to go back to the mechanic and any other tips would be good.
It always feels good to know a little when talking to a guy working on the cruiser.
thanks again
john

Sounds like the idle speed might be a bit low.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What faults were found with the injection pump when it was overhauled?

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies.
Jon, the idle speed is normal at 800rpm, when it stays at that.
The revs will drop even at idle and not in gear and then it will vibrate.
I have noticed that the rev count dial will jump slightly intermittantly when driving but it does not effect the driving experience at all.
Loads of power that is consistant without any abnormal feel at all.
Replacing the injector pump has eliminated one issue.
My original IP was over hauled twice, so I gave up on it, it is at present in Bristol getting checked out just to see what is wrong without paying to get it over hauled again.

cheers
john

If all else fails then you should give Bob at RVS 01793 421166 in Swindon a call. He seems to know his mechanical diesels really well. He is recommended by a few on here including Julian V.

This isn't something as simple as the air-con idle up not working is it? When you have the air-con on the compressor cycles and when it's running it puts quite a load on the engine. Usually the idle speed is raised to compensate but I wonder if that's missing on yours?

Hi Jon
Your right its missing on mine but its the AC thats missing. I don't have any AC and in this hot weather I wish I did.
Just on an off topic note, my front diff is still going strong even with all those bits missing weird.
My original IP is with Bob just t see what the issues are with it.
I was wondering if it was a problem with an injector nossle would I not feel something odd when driving or would the higher revs mask it.
As I said when driving the rev count will jump and when at idle not in gear the rev count will jump slightly and i can hear the revs move up and down.
Is there anything else other than the the fuel filter housing problem with air, and injectors some how having a problem.
Just wondering before I have to give it again to the garage who has nor seen one of these cruisers in a long long time.
cheers
john

The engine vibration and the cutting out may not be connected.

When the engine is vibrating (probably in hotter weather, at idle with a load against the engine- ie steering at full lock etc) what you want to do is crack off the return pipes coming off the injectors.

Crack off each one in time, just enough so that the engine vibration gets worse. If you have one or even 2 cylinders where the vibration doens't get worse then you have an air leak in that diesel system. Could be a number of places, but a good starting point is the little copper washers that bolt the banjo bolt to the top of the injectors. There's 2 per injector and they're only cheap- get the genuine yota ones which are silly expensive for copper washers, but they are a certain size which is pretty key.

If its not the copper washers, it could be the ali injector seats down in the injector bores- they can be a bit of a pig to get out- last time i ended up sealing mine up with a copper washer as i just couldn't get the original seal out! not ideal and it still causes problems :( One day ill work out some trick to getting it out!

One day ill work out some trick to getting it out!

You could try to wind a bolt into it, M8 I think?

Back