Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cigarette Lighter

Gilbert v H

Hi
I connected an aircompressor to the cigarette lighter and tried to pump up the tyres. The compressor was going very slowly and after a couple of minutes it stopped working. It seems it destroyed the plug (fuse is still OK).
Funnally enough this exactly happened in my last Truck (you would think I should learn ;) )
I then connected the compressor to the lighter plug in my ML and it worked much faster and the plug also survived.

Is that a common problem on these Truck (not enough power, cant run a compressor)?

What to to best to get a good working plug in the car?

Cheers
Gilbert

Chop off the connector and go straight to the battery with croc clips :cool:

A similar thing happened to me with a laptop, the 12v plug warmed up too much, distorted and lost contact on the central spring contact :cry:, I plugged it into the inverter after that using the mains lead. I am going to fit a mains socket in the back connected to 12v, I hope a mains socket will be more robust.
Chas

Gilbert v H said:
Hi
I connected an aircompressor to the cigarette lighter and tried to pump up the tyres. The compressor was going very slowly and after a couple of minutes it stopped working......
The clue is in the name, a cigarette lighter is for lighting cigarettes, it is not for running bloody great power tools
banghead.gif

Cossack said:
.... I am going to fit a mains socket in the back connected to 12v
ne_nau.gif
now I'm really confused.

Bat21 said:
Gilbert v H said:
Hi
I connected an aircompressor to the cigarette lighter and tried to pump up the tyres. The compressor was going very slowly and after a couple of minutes it stopped working......
The clue is in the name, a cigarette lighter is for lighting cigarettes, it is not for running bloody great power tools
banghead.gif

This only seems to be true for a Landcruiser then. In my Mercedes ML and a couple of other cars I had it was running with no problems.

PS: we are talking about an aircompressor for tyres here, which is made to connect it to a standard cigarette lighter, not a compressor for airtools here.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
.... I am going to fit a mains socket in the back connected to 12v
ne_nau.gif
now I'm really confused.[/quote]

I thought a mains socket would have better contact than sprung loaded.
Chas

Chas, I think the confusion arises from the general understanding that "mains" implies 220V AC electricity... which you're connecting to 12V DC. :ugeek:

Andrew Prince said:
Chas, I think the confusion arises from the general understanding that "mains" implies 220V AC electricity... which you're connecting to 12V DC. :ugeek:
I thought saying "I am going to fit a mains socket in the back connected to 12v" was quite clear ie; connected to 12v not 240v.
Chas

Cossack said:
Andrew Prince said:
I thought saying "I am going to fit a mains socket in the back connected to 12v" was quite clear ie; connected to 12v not 240v.
Chas
The way it reads is you are going to wire up one of these to a 12v supply Chas:-
lutron-lighting-controls-rn-srsu-h-f-400.gif

If that isn't what you mean then, what are you referring to as a 'mains socket'?

Bat21 said:
Cossack said:
Andrew Prince said:
Chas
The way it reads is you are going to wire up one of these to a 12v supply Chas:-
lutron-lighting-controls-rn-srsu-h-f-400.gif

If that isn't what you mean then, what are you referring to as a 'mains socket'?
The one I was thinking of using is actually a 15a round pin socket to avoid confusion with the twin 13a socket I already have fitted that is fed from my inverter.
Chas

Chas.

Can I suggest you have a look at Marine type 12V power sockets. I fitted 3 of those to my 80 in a "Mudpod" under ashtray part of the dash (fitted really nicely). They seem to take the current a lot better and are also latching so they don't fall out when going over the bumps. You can change the plug on the end of the compressor to one of the matching latching plugs and it will still fit in standard DIN plugs or cigarette lighter sockets. I also fitted a couple in the back of my 80 as well and have just fitted one on the side of the centre console for my handheld CB.

On the 100 series they actually fit a separate power socket front and rear rather than just the cigarette lighter and it is rated for 120 watts.

My 80 only has the one fag lighter socket. That's a bit rubbish. The 90 had two extra power sockets in addition. By the time I finished with LB there were many more, most of them permanent live too. Maplin sell a really good quality German 12v socket. About £4.99 each, but they do latch well and fit nicely. They have rubber covers too. The standard lighter sockets seem to have a little fusible link soldered to the back of them so often when the fuse seems to have blown it's actually the little blob on the back that has gone.

Chris

I fitted 4 of *THESE* into the center console.

The matching *PLUGS* are rated up to 8amp, they are twist lock too which means they won't vibrate out
thumb.gif

I believe the eBay dude also sells them as a set for around £7.50

12vsockets.jpg

Bat21 said:
I fitted 4 of *THESE* into the center console.

The matching *PLUGS* are rated up to 8amp, they are twist lock too which means they won't vibrate out
thumb.gif

I believe the eBay dude also sells them as a set for around £7.50

12vsockets.jpg

That looks very clean.

Sorry, but I am bad with electrics. How would I connect these to the electrics of the car?

have used XLR plugs n sockets on 12v systems before - up to 120w no probs

{admin edit: removed the invalid img URL.}

Gilbert v H said:
That looks very clean.

Sorry, but I am bad with electrics. How would I connect these to the electrics of the car?
Apologies for the large images here but, this is how I wired the kit in my 80, ideally each socket should have its own 10amp feed though but I cheated :oops:

wiring1.gif

wiring2.gif

Paul where is you 3rd battery located? if its under the bonnet where and do you have 3 full size batteries under the bonnet?

Rob said:
Paul where is you 3rd battery located? if its under the bonnet where and do you have 3 full size batteries under the bonnet?
By cutting the passenger side battery box/tray you can fit a third one in there, I have the Optima 4.2 duel terminal Yellow top for the auxillary kit and winch.
877511825_N5oEH-O.jpg

By cutting the passenger side battery box/tray you can fit a third one in there, I have the Optima 4.2 duel terminal Yellow top for the auxillary kit and winch.
877511825_N5oEH-O.jpg
Same as mine, but I've got two red tops and one yellow, how do you keep your engine compartment soo clean :cool: ? even after using a pressure washer mine looks filthy by comparison :oops:
Chas

Back