Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oh Jeez not more tyre questions

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well after Lincomb mud and the fact that GW failed to actually stop at the roundabout on the way there, I really need to get some new boots. Budget is an issue and as I only do about 5 k per year, plus I will not be going to Morocco or anywhere like that, I have to remain realistic. I fancy either the General Grabber AT2s more on that in a minute or the Cooper ST's.

The ST's are very slightly more aggressive than the ATs but less so than a muddie. They look like a good tyre. Plus, the bonus is that they come in 255x85x16 as well as the 285x75x16. (both just a tad over 33") The AT doesn't come in that size. It does in the BFG but then we are adding more dollars again.

Now the on line tyre comparator gives very similar details for these two sizes with the 255 being a teensy bit taller. Not much. Why am I looking at the 255? Well I figure that wider tyres are all very well, but they tend to add more drag and also spread the load more so that there is the potential for less grip. I know this is all marginal stuff but the 255 being slightly narrower means that it just may dig a little better and maybe reserve about one egg cup of fuel on a long run. Nice big side walls too.

I don't want to get into a huge debate on tyres we have done that to death, but interested in any pointers on the above argument. Needs to be well mannered on road, be able to cope with a play day and snow when it occasionally falls. I have never suffered from tyre noise really even with MTs. I don't think that there is much to choose between these two very good tyres, but not sure about the aspect ratio argument. It's millimeters I know. One thing is for sure is that these Enduro things are terrible. Worse on the road than off as a matter of fact. Well they seem to be £70 each. That says something.

Chris

I'm not an expert but I've spent ages over the last month looking at tyres, the Generals look like excellent tyres.

As always it is a double edged thing. I generally think a narrow tall tyre is best in more conditions and it would put less strain on the drive train (maybe relevant in the breakages at Lincomb)

The two major negatives of thr narrower tyre would be wet peaty type ground where a wider tyre might spread the load a bit better and stop sinking (however with a bit more side wall of the 255 available lowering pressures might counter this) and a wider tyre should be a bit better on the road

Did I notice that the Cooper st has quiet a low speed rating, I don't know if this would be an issue?

I personally think the bf goodrich km2 255/85/16 would be a cracking tyre

The problem with 255s is that they are below standard size and might be an insurance issue?

Coopers are cheaper than BFGs is price is a problem.

Paul

Just had a look at camskill, they are listing a Toyo mud terrain in 255 85 16, but are out of stock. Not a bad price either. The Toyo's seem to come up a bit wide so at a guess it might be about 11" a pretty good compromise.
The other thing I didn't mention is that the 255 would be a bit lighter helping with rotational mass and unsprung weight

Don't want a muddie this time around. I found last time that there was a hit on economy and they were not as good in the corners especially in the wet. I want a road tyre really that's good enough for playing. Speed rating isn't issue. Rare I get up to 70mpg and when towing a quad to my regular haunt, the limit is 50 anyway so not an issue. I am insured with Flux and seeing how they were happy with all the mods to Lil Blue I don't think that 255 v 275 will be an issue Paul.

I don't see the physical differences as being much. What I am looking for is any pitfalls that people might have come across. One for sure is availability of spares. the 255 will be a rarer beast. But as I am not going anywhere it's not a real issue to for. KM2 would be nice but my wallet won't open that far on this occasion. It's just not worth it for 5 thousand mile per year. I'd rather spend the money on other toys.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Surely both 285/75 16 and 255/85 16 both being about 33" tall would both have the same size sidewall?

Yes they have Richard. It's like the tonne of feather or tonne of lead argument. They are the same in dimension but slightly different in properties when you let the tyre down.

As I say, it's all really marginal stuff. Floation is a reality on wide tyres - like on my quad, but on 2t + of Cruiser, I can't see 20mm making a great difference.

Chris

Just playing devils advocate, but might the narrower width of the 255 mud give about the same drag as a 285 all terrain?

Paul_Humphreys said:
The problem with 255s is that they are below standard size and might be an insurance issue?
Paul, 255s are taller than the standard 275s - in fact they're a fraction taller than 285/75s too.

Richard Jackaman said:
Surely both 285/75 16 and 255/85 16 both being about 33" tall would both have the same size sidewall?
Richard, the 255 has a slightly taller sidewall (255*0.85) vs 285 (285*0.75) but you're right in that there isn't a huge amount of difference.

Chris, I seem to recall some comments that the Cooper STs are relatively noisy for an AT. But as you say, tyre noise is unlikely to be a major issue on an 80 and the STs would be quieter than most MTs.

As you know, my vote would be 255 - the only downside I can see is cosmetic. They may make your 80's track look a little narrow unless you put spacers on or remove the flares.

Cheers,

Thanks Andrew, got spacers on already. Hmm, I do like the idea of the 255 - perhaps giving a little more bite in soft ground.
The ST isn't really a mud. The STT is the mud. There are a halfway between mud and AT. I suppose I could go with the 285 but have it in the ST.

Well no major rush. Not planning anything at the second, but the steel lorry is coming on Friday. Now what does that tell you????

Chris

Just a thought - the abbrev OWL - Outline White Lettering. What does RWL mean, Reversible White Lettering? I really don't like the look of white lettering on a white truck.

Hmm maybe another spanner in the works All the BFGs I have had have been white only on one side.

Chris said:
Well no major rush. Not planning anything at the second, but the steel lorry is coming on Friday. Now what does that tell you????
You're starting my sliders :idea:

Chris said:
Just a thought - the abbrev OWL - Outline White Lettering. What does RWL mean, Reversible White Lettering? I really don't like the look of white lettering on a white truck.

Hmm maybe another spanner in the works All the BFGs I have had have been white only on one side.
How about a set of these :D
NZ_wheel.jpg

Chris said:
What does RWL mean, Reversible White Lettering? I really don't like the look of white lettering on a white truck.
Hazarding a guess, RWL = Raised White Lettering? No doubt the answer resides on google somewhere :mrgreen:

Richard it may surprise to to learn that I actually have several sets of those. I kept my Mighty Tonka from when I was a lad. I have the wrecker, dozer, roller, digger, tipper lorry - but I have no idea which thieving git nicked my tractor. Grrr.

YOUR sliders Andrew, uhmm, let me see, eer, hang on, I need to think...

NO!

Chris said:
YOUR sliders Andrew, uhmm, let me see, eer, hang on, I need to think...

NO!
Don't worry, Chris - you keep them on your truck for now :mrgreen: I'll liberate, I mean collect them at the next Lincomb gathering :lol:

Andrew Prince said:
Chris said:
What does RWL mean, Reversible White Lettering? I really don't like the look of white lettering on a white truck.
Hazarding a guess, RWL = Raised White Lettering? No doubt the answer resides on google somewhere :mrgreen:

Got RPL on mine "Raised Pink Lettering" from all the mud at Lincomb. Goes with the paintwork :)

I like 285's for an 80, it's a heavy truck and I think 255's will be a bit on the skinny side for keeping it going where you point it. Going to heavier and bigger diameter tyres will increase your consumption a bit anyway so I don't think you'd notice a difference there between 285 vs 255.

Chris said:
Let me know if you want some tubes bending.

Jon, thanks for that offer. Maybe I could bring the jigs back, come with some tube and my front diff at the same time. Hang on, why don't I just move to Shropshire!

Steel coming tomorrow, so I'll see how far I get. I was thinking that I might be able to cannibalise the OEM steps and uses the ally steps to make the tops. Ever looked at that Jon?

I think I shall be going GG AT2 in 285 on balance so that's this thread done!

Chris said:
I was thinking that I might be able to cannibalise the OEM steps and uses the ally steps to make the tops. Ever looked at that Jon?
Never looked at that Chris, can't hurt to offer them up and see.

Back