Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air Con

Andy

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Unforttunately my air con has stopped working.

The compressor is not kicking in & there is no voltage going to it.

I wondered if the gas was low & not operating a pressure switch (is there one??), been down to my local kwik fit today for a recharge in case this was the problem, but alas not, now I have to reace the wiring back from the compressor (it disappears into the loom) and work back from there!

Does anybody know the location of the relay that operates the compressor?

There are a bunch of relays in the drivers side footwell behind the kick panel & none of these click when switching the air con on, is it one of these & I have a faulty relay, or has Mr T tucked it away in some obscure place???

I will run a 12v temporay wire to the compressor from the battery later just to double check that it does engage, in the meantime any advice appreciated as this stuff is not my forte!!!!

Andy

fuse?

download the manual haha I am sure someone will get you the link soon..

I just open the roof and all windows.... :lol:

good luck anyway..

I have NO gas in mine and the clutch will only fire if I run a bypass. I think the fluid / gas also lubes the workings doesn't it? So if there is no gas then it tries to protect itself I guess. All my fuses are fine.

C

The compressor won't fire up until there is sufficient pressure in the system.

Had mine done a couple of weeks ago and as soon as they connected the low pressure feed the compressor started up fine.

I think that Chris is correct that it shuts off the power to the compressor when there is no gas in the stytem as a protective method.

Cheers

interesting.. I never knew that...

I am going to convert mine to a air-compressor anyway...
Who needs aircon when you can have windows open.... :D

and yes I have driven through 50+ degrees heat in Australia with no aircon all the time and I love it... :twisted:

I think the fluid / gas also lubes the workings doesn't it?

They put a special oil in with it.
so it should be run regularly even in winter to keep everything lubed.

Tobyjug
with you on that - fresh air for me even if it is hot is much better. no sore throats, headaches and colds.
got cloth seats too which is nice when cold and nice when hot.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No good from empty though Bob as you need to vac all the air out first. Not cheap from Halfrauds I know - but only £16 on line. Oops.

Chris

Local AC place here charges £49 to test and fill, and as Chris said, suck all the air out first so you're only running the refrigerant through the system.

The gas is contains a lubricant for the pump and the rubber seals which can perish if the system is not used for a while. They can also add a UV dye to enable detection of leaks further down the line.

Cheers

adrianr said:
Tobyjug
with you on that - fresh air for me even if it is hot is much better. no sore throats, headaches and colds.
got cloth seats too which is nice when cold and nice when hot.

yep I agree 101% I hate aircon....
Never use it...

I have got cloth too... (with some nice heavy duty seatcovers) :twisted:

I wanted cloth specifically because like you say leather is too hot when it's hot and too cold when it's cold and
when off-road you are sliding here there and everywhere....

When I bought the truck I was offered a full leather interior by a mate but I happily declined..
I love the cloth... much better imho...

BobMurphy said:
I bought one of these from Halfords the other day:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_201507_langId_-1_categoryId_165632

Not cheap at £49.99 (with £10.00 back on the empty can), but I didn't use much when topping up the Toyota and I have two other cars with Air-Con as well.

The gauge lets you check the condition at any time, which is handy.

Bob.
Thanks for the tip Bob. The air con in Lucy's Rav4 hasn't been working for 3 years so I decided to give this a go... blowing ice cold now.

As I have a Halfords trade card the 20% discount made the can £39.99, the £10 refund on the empty can means a £29.99 total cost, I even topped up my BMW 3 series diesel too.... result.

on the subject of air con, I had mine re-gassed recently and the chap warned that the pump is going to fail at any moment as it was running exceptionally hot and it could be heard from inside the cab. I took his advise and have not been using it but yesterday heading back from Glastonbury feeling a little rough I had it on. Working great until my engine stalls at 50mph, no power and smoke engulfed the car behind for a few seconds, pulled over all gauges fine, engine was hot(motorway at 70+) but no issues. Started back up and been fine. Left the A/C off, did try it today and it still works, again noisy and is not working as well. Anyone know if the AC unit could stall an engine if it momentarily seised?

Jonnie

to a/c or not to a/c

With the windows down its bloody noisy, it works but when you are driving 50 miles it would be nice to hear the radio or chat to the kids in the back. Never thought I would say it but A/C does have its useful moments

Chris said:
No good from empty though Bob as you need to vac all the air out first. Not cheap from Halfrauds I know - but only £16 on line. Oops.
Chris

Another aircon question . . .

On my '98 KZJ95 there is a sight glass in the line above the Vapouriser. Although my system is up to pressure and appears to work I don't see anything in the window.

Does this mean I have pressurised air in the system and it has to be vacuumed out before filling ??

When I checked the pressure it was parctically normal and has always worked (though I don't use it - I just like to know its OK - how often do you need Aircon in Scotland :lol: ).

Bob.

Hi Jonnie,

spackrackman said:
I took his advise and have not been using it but yesterday heading back from Glastonbury feeling a little rough I had it on. Working great until my engine stalls at 50mph, no power and smoke engulfed the car behind for a few seconds, pulled over all gauges fine, engine was hot(motorway at 70+) but no issues. Started back up and been fine. Left the A/C off, did try it today and it still works, again noisy and is not working as well. Anyone know if the AC unit could stall an engine if it momentarily seised?

It sounds very unusual for the aircon to stall the engine - even if the compressor seized I would have thought that it would just snap the belt.

Have you checked all the belts? Just wondering what could have caused the smoke and stalled the engine.

africaaboveandbelow said:
even if the compressor seized I would have thought that it would just snap the belt.

Yes , the belt would snap, I know for a fact that happened to a friend of mine when is compressor seized on his LC.

Back to my problem of mine not working, as my original post,

The gas & oil etc has been redone & no leaks wewre found, but its still not working as the compressor magnetic clutch is getting no voltage.
If I put a temporary connection from the battery to the compressor with the a/c switched on, it brings the compressor on & all gets icy cold, but it wont work as it should via the dash controls.
I have also replaced the a/c magnetic clutch relay (up behind the glove box as I thought this may be at fault), but still no go.
Next I 'linked out the pressure switch, still no joy.
I have noticed that the engine revs dont increase (on tickover) now when the a/c is switched on, whereas they used to, is there some sort of relay / gizmo that may have gone wrong here??

Any ideas any body, in fact any help appreciated.

I know a/c isnt essential by any means, but it used to work fine & I do like things to work if they are fitted, and it was especially useful in 40+ degree temperatures on my last desert run, opening the windows can get dusty & very noisy!!

Andy

Hi Andy,

Let me have a look at the manuals - it looks like you have a problem in the circuit that supplies the power to the clutch as well as the solenoid that triggers the increase in engine revs.

Fristly, dumb question of the day, have you checked all the relevant fuses?

Also, when you crossed out the wiring on the pressure sensor, was there any power goig to it?

Thanks julian,

I have checked the 10a fuse in the fuse box, its ok & so are all the others in that fuse box,I checked them all incase one of them fed a circuit somewhere else, ( & there is 12v going to that fuse!), I couldnt find any others any where apart from the fuse box under the bonnet , are there any others tucked away anywhere??

I cant remember 100% & will check again but I am fairly sure there was power into the pressure switch connection,

Where is the solenoid that increases the engine revs?

Thanks for your input

Andy

Just been & double checked, yes there is 12v going into the pressure switch

Andy

Back