Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aftermarket aircon

fridayman

Garage
So far every manual 80 that I have enquired about (and there aren't that many...) has not had aircon. Has anybody here fitted aftermarket aircon ? What did it cost? And has it had any issues, or has it been reliable?

That's odd, every manual 80 I looked at when I was looking had aircon. You must either be looking at early 12 valve manuals or the rather rare 24 valve GS. As far as OEM aircon reliability well mine isn't working, needs new compressor, condenser, some new pipes and a new drier would be nice...

They have been some earlier (cheaper) ones that I have enquired about. What year did the 24v manual 80 (with aircon) come out?

fridayman said:
So far every manual 80 that I have enquired about (and there aren't that many...) has not had aircon. Has anybody here fitted aftermarket aircon ? What did it cost? And has it had any issues, or has it been reliable?
In 1993 I bought an auto 1990 80 that didn't have aircon and had it retro fitted by a Toyo dealer at a cost of £1800 it worked fine, and did so until I had to regrettably sell the Cruiser in 1996 :cry:
Chas

Cossack said:
In 1993 I bought an auto 1990 80 that didn't have aircon and had it retro fitted by a Toyo dealer at a cost of £1800 it worked fine, and did so until I had to regrettably sell the Cruiser in 1996 :cry:
Chas

Relative to what I would like to pay for the car, that is quite expensive :(

My AC isn't working at the moment. Going to get it regassed (assuming it'll hold the pressure) and see if it works. If it doesn't work I'm certainly not going to spend £1800 trying to fix it.

I'm not that bothered about AC too much anyway. I hardly ever use it as normally when I'm driving it's usually on a motorway and the air flow is enough to keep the car reasonably cool.

Although I do hope a regass cures it. It was last regassed in 2006 so one would assume it's just lot its gas.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
James Rothwell said:
My AC isn't working at the moment. Going to get it regassed. Although I do hope a regass cures it. It was last regassed in 2006 so one would assume it's just lot its gas.
This is the chap I use, he's very helpful in diagnosing problems, he has a mobile service (within 50 miles) and compared to others quite reasonable with pricing :cool: , I had a problem with the aircon not working efficiently and he solved it quickly. He will be doing mine again when I get the Cruiser back.
http://www.air-care-automotive.co.uk/home.asp

Chas

Back