Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where is the coolant drain cock on the engine?

Rob

Garage
I have done a 'partial' flush and currently have water with cleaner in the cooling system. I have found the drain cock on the bottom of the rad but I cant find the drain cock near the oil filter on the engine. I unscrewed a bolt with a 22mm head and some oil came out :? Does anyone know what to look for or where is it? According to the FSM its on the oil cooler but the pic they have is rubbish (1HD-FT FSM page EG 178). I am not willing to remove the thermostat as I don't have the gasket and Toyota put the drain cock there for a reason right?

Re: Were is the coolant drain cock on the engine?

I couldn't find the drain cock when I changed the coolant on mine, I think it is actually nearer to the injection pump than the oil filter?

I seem to remember someone posted a photo (maybe on the other forum) of it.

Thanks Brett, can’t seem to find the photo of it. Plenty of references but on the 1HD-T, small bolt with 10/12/14mm head near the ignition pump. Has anyone on here found it on the 1HD-FT? It seems very tight down there on mine and there are a bunch of small bolts that fit that description but I don’t know which one it is.

Hi Rob,

I did a search earlier & couldn't find it either, I can definitely remember seeing it somewhere :?

I'm pretty sure it's below the FIP though

Thanks Brett, seems like we were both looking in the wrong place, looks like its to the right of the oil filter. Here is the pic for those of you not on LCOOL:
Falco80 on LCOOL said:
p2020810.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hmm. Wonder how necessary that is. You could do the standard drain, then open that and see if more comes out afterwards. Call it research.

Chris

Well just replaced the water with Toyota red and I could not get 10 litres in. This is because I could not find the engine bock drain cock for some reason, where there is one in the pic I just have nothing :? I was going to get the thermostat off but access is rather difficult behind the compressor and alternator so I gave up. This is a real mystery, why cant I find the drain cock?

Chris said:
Hmm. Wonder how necessary that is. You could do the standard drain, then open that and see if more comes out afterwards. Call it research.

Chris
Judging by the amount of coolant that I still have left it seems fairly important. If you think about it when flushing the coolant the thermostat should be closed as you would not want to change the fluid when it is hot for obvious reasons. This means that all the coolant in both heathers and engine does not get changed.

Rob, the thermostat has hole in it. Not all the water goes through the main vent. If the wax fails there is a small hole that lets some water circulate. If you drain the engine and leave it for a while, all the coolant above the stat WILL eventually drizzle out through the bypass.

Chris

Rob said:
Well just replaced the water with Toyota red and I could not get 10 litres in. This is because I could not find the engine bock drain cock for some reason, where there is one in the pic I just have nothing :? I was going to get the thermostat off but access is rather difficult behind the compressor and alternator so I gave up. This is a real mystery, why cant I find the drain cock?

Rob,
This is why when I did mine I didn't use Toyota Red coolant as it shouldn't be mixed with the green stuff, it turns to sludge if you have the two types mixed.

What I did do though was filled up with plain water, ran the engine up to temp & then dumped it a couple of times until I was getting clean water out.

From memory the block drain plug on the 24valve is a bolt below and to the left of the oil filter - probably a 21mm or something similar.

Brett said:
Rob said:

Rob,
This is why when I did mine I didn't use Toyota Red coolant as it shouldn't be mixed with the green stuff, it turns to sludge if you have the two types mixed.

What I did do though was filled up with plain water, ran the engine up to temp & then dumped it a couple of times until I was getting clean water out.
It had red in it before I started so no worries there.

Rob said:
It had red in it before I started so no worries there.

That's handy, the previous owner of mine had replaced the radiator & put green in so I didn't dare risk using red :x

An old thread I know. But I found the drain cock on my 12v. I wanted to make sure that I got all the coolant out of the system as I had put a flush in there, so I set about looking for it. Man it's tricky to find, but it's there, halfway along the engine between the oil filter and injector pump. It's a hexagonal fitting about an inch long needing a 14mm socket for the outside and a 10 mm socket for the tap in the end. I tried to unscrew the tap, but it just wound the whole fitting out of the engine. All cleaned up now ready for next time. You need at least 6 inches of extension on a socket to reach through all of the fuel lines etc. You can see it if you look down through the gaps in the inlet manifold. Tricky little sucker, but it did let a lot of water out. Got full ten litres in on the refill.

Chris

Back