Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is the maximum all up towing weight of an 80?

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
As per the title, I tried the search with no luck, this is for the UK and not Spain where I live.

regards

Dave

All-up as in trailer plus vehicle? They can tow up to 3500kg on a braked trailer but not sure how much that allows the vehicle to weigh. 6.5t total springs to mind, which would give you 3000kgs on the vehicle, so std 80 plus maybe 400kg?
Not 100% sure on the 6.5t, so the maths depends on that :twisted:

Cheers,

GTW for my 80 (97 HDJ80) is 6560kg, that's 3500kg trailer and 3060kg truck.

Thanks for that guys, I gathered it was around that area but needed to check before telling someone else.

regards

Dave

My old (UK model) 12 valve 80 VIN plate says 2960 and 6460.

Holy Moses :o Does an '80' really weigh 3,500 Kilos :?: :?: :?: (or is that with six adults plus a full load of safari gear ?).

My KZJ95 is 2,000 Kilos and I thought that was heavy.

My tractor weighs 3,500Ks :lol:

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think the curb weight of a standard diesel 80 is somewhere around 2500Kg Bob but modified and loaded it's not uncommon to be in excess of 3500Kg

I've got a spec sheet which says kerb weight for a 5 door 4.2 TD Auto is 2510kg min and 2660kg max, gross vehicle weight 3260kg. I'm not sure what they mean by min & max though
Chas

Chas what does it say on your VIN plate near the wiper motor under the bonnet? The first 2 number will do. 3260 GVW seems quite high.

Cossack said:
I've got a spec sheet which says kerb weight for a 5 door 4.2 TD Auto is 2510kg min and 2660kg max, gross vehicle weight 3260kg. I'm not sure what they mean by min & max though
Chas

Chas

I think it has something to do with dry and wet weights. i.e. full or empty of fuel, water, oil etc. May be wrong but seem to remember hearing this years ago, to do with LRs, I think it was.

Rob said:
Chas what does it say on your VIN plate near the wiper motor under the bonnet? The first 2 number will do. 3260 GVW seems quite high.
I can't look at my VIN plate a the moment as the Cruiser is still with Julian V, but I found a file saved on my computer, I don't know where it came from originally, I don't think I can put it on here as an attachment so I've printed and scanned it as a picture;

LandcruiserSpecs.jpg

I hope that helps, maybe someone may recognise it?

Chas

Attachments

• LandcruiserSpecs.jpg
    LandcruiserSpecs.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 206
Interersting . . But does the 3.0L D-4D motor really have a double overhead camshaft (DOHC) ???

I suspect its actually a single OHC, like the 1KZ-TE.

(Now to be proved wrong :) ).

Bob.

Sounds like the first of the 100 series with independant front and 201 bhp 4.2 TD.

Very similar to the 80 but the electronic fuel injection gave them about 15 bhp more.

BobMurphy said:
Interersting . . But does the 3.0L D-4D motor really have a double overhead camshaft (DOHC) ???

I suspect its actually a single OHC, like the 1KZ-TE.

(Now to be proved wrong :) ).

Bob.

You know Bob, I had to look at that twice. I will have to delve a bit deeper into Tommo's motor to find out.

Thanks for all the information guys, the min and max figure were IIRC to allow for shipping cost/weight to be calculated for a dry/wet vehicle, i.e. no oils/water/fuel ect.

regards

Dave

I think the Amazon in your table is a 100 series Chas.

Back