Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Duff Battery

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Jumped in the LC to head off to work this morning, turned the key and got the dreaded wuh wuh wuh from the starter... so had to used the BMDub instead.

Got home tonight and did a bit of digging, turns out the passenger side battery is bolaxed :( I managed to start her by attaching a jump lead from the + of the third auxiliary battery to the + of the duff one.

Up until this morning I've never had a problem... never had a battery go just like that :shock:

I feel two more Yellow tops might be in order.

Paul_Humphreys said:
Just go to Manbat in shrewsbury and get a newmax!!

Paul
Cheers Paul, just had a quick look at the Numax spec, they look decent enough.

I'll replace both as I don't want the drivers side one to give up in the middle of the desert next month.

Any idea how much they are? the Yellow tops were about £200 each.

When I got my CVX24 (I think) battery last year it was £50. You can fit the cvx27 and maybe the cvx31? For the cost of 2 yellow tops you can get 5 or 6 cvx24s!!

Paul

The CVX24 looks like it is about the same size as the one that is already on the passenger side, space is tight there as I have a Yellow top mounted by the side of it for the axillary wiring and winch.

The CVX range seems to be listed as Leisure and Marine, I take it that it will be ok for cranking the motor?

Is it ok to fit a larger (CVX321?) on the drivers side or should the two main batteries be a 'matched pair'?

I do not have a matched pair fitted and have not for over 12 months!!

The CVX24 is the same size as a yellow top. As for starting, it is a bigger outpput than the standard battery.

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I spoke to Manbat the other day. Told me that up here (Chesterfield) they were agents and didn't actually sell to the public but pointed me to a local reseller. I asked about the marine leisure series and they said that they were indeed cranking battery spec. Definitely dual purpose. Looks like you can have a leisure cranking battery but not so a cranking leisure battery if that makes sense. I looked at Red and Yellow tops and reports seem to suggest that three years and they're stuffed. Well, to be fair a std battery is about the same. So what do you get for twice the money? Not much, but they are compact. And if under bonnet space is at a premium for a major trip, then maybe I'd go Optimax. But there in the UK? I got a big Yuasa from Milner for £70

C

Back