Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

electric aerial repair

callum

don't suppose anyone has removed the electric aerial unit before?

mine is missing the aerial, but the motor still works, so i'd like to get it operational again. i've looked at removal guides on ih8mud, but it seems it is different for lhd models as there is air-con piping in the way of the access hole for mine.

any tips on getting the thing out?

Yep. Just done mine. It's not technically challenging if you are an octopus. Remove the two large relay packs inside the wing and unbolt the motor. One plug, that's it. But the aerial lead goes through the bulkhead so if you want to take it out completely, you may pull the end plug off. (oops) The motor is held into the wing by a simple shroud where the mast comes out. The new mast just screws on. If you can get the flexi cable to come out of the top of the wing, you shouldn't need to take the hole thing out.

Chris

As chris said If all the parts of the old aerial are out, you can just put a new aerial in without getting the motor out.
If you need a new aerial (without motor), I still have one lying around here. Bought on ebay for £25, but never used. You can have it for £10 (if I can find it).

hmm, you make this sound very easy and it didn't look that way the other night. i'll have to have another go i think.

i don't have the mast bit at all, just the bottom bit into which it must once have slid, i presume it got ripped off by something at some stage. grommet thing is missing from the wing as well annoyingly, so i'll need to find one of those too.

anyway fitting remote-ness to my central locking at the moment, so i'll come back to this.

well i finished the remote central locking at the weekend so had another bash at the aerial this evening.

managed to get it out, finally, so i can replace the mast bit.

headed to ebay to get a new one, but they are all tooth type and mine is smooth.
Anyone know where i can get the smooth variety?

callum said:
well i finished the remote central locking at the weekend so had another bash at the aerial this evening.

managed to get it out, finally, so i can replace the mast bit.

headed to ebay to get a new one, but they are all tooth type and mine is smooth.
Anyone know where i can get the smooth variety?
The mast comes as a seperate bit to the white nylon cord on an 80, but the small thread had broken off the cable on mine, so I managed to get the correct bits from Malcolm @ car-masts-uk 01245 440969

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks for the link andy. looks like the guy is on holiday at the moment so i'll wait until he gets back.

callum

Back