Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Testing viscous coupling (VC)?

Andrew Prince

I have my t/case extension off to change the bearing and replace the seal on the output shaft and in doing the strip-down, I have removed the VC. I was wondering if there is any easy or obvious way of testing whether the VC is good or not?
I know they can seize up and cause all sorts of problems with wind-up on the drivetrain. Other than the truck feeling like the CD is locked, is there any other way of judging whether the VC is good or not?

I have tried turning it in my hands and it's tight (no play or movement) but I imagine that it takes more than hand stength to turn it, even if perfectly healthy?

Cheers,

Got mine sitting on the workbench as it's locked solid. No play or movement whatsoever even when clamped in a vice and some force applied to the teeth. Would have thought you'd get some movement out of it if it was working correctly. Though the force required my be considerable.

Symptoms on my truck were a general heavyness when driving and some skipping of the rear tyres when doing 3 point turns.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mine drives fine (and more importantly is driving fine after I put everything back together :shock: ) so I am assuming it's all ok.

I tried twisting the VC but was not able to apply much force so probably not the greatest test. There was zero movement but as all seems well, I'm going to go with it being me not applying enough force to turn it :whistle:

Getting those snaprings out was a bugger - had to resort to professional help in the end :oops:

Cheers,

Back