Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

injector pump woes go on and on

landcruiserjohnb

Hi Guys
As some of you will remember I have been having problems with engine vibrations, cutting out and rev dropping etc.
This started soon after the cruiser broke down one day and was sent to a so called specilist who basically messed it up from what I can make out.
I did manage to get another injector pump second hand and thought I would get mine looked at by RSV in Swindon so shipped it over by courier in May, only got there this week.
Bad news is the cold start mechanism is missing and the trottle body, maybe something else.
Does any one have these bits that I can have because Bob said he cant even test my pump without them.
I dont even know what these bits look like to see if they are on the pump on my cruier at the moment.
Does anyone have a picture of the cold start and trottle body.
If I cant get these bits and they are on mine at the moment I may travel over to BOb so he can make one pump out of two if you know what I mean.
cheers
john :(

Hi Ryan
Im sorry, its a Diesel 12V Auto.
There is something about the auto which is different to the manual set up for the IP, I think but cant remember.
cheers
john

Hi John,

You will struggle to get a cold start device second hand and they are about £250 + VAT new.

If you can't justify the price it is possible to blank them off, something we have done for other customers - the truck should be fine without it in the Irish climate.

Hi Julian
thanks for the reply.
The cold start is already blanked off on the IP.
But Bob in RVS says he needs the cold start and a trottle body to test the pump.
Im caught again, the IP I bought second hand is leaking all over my drive way.
I thought once I had sent the original IP and had it checked everything would be fine.
cheers
john

I took of my cold start device because the ticking noise was very annoying, my MPG has improved to over 30 mpg (fromt just under 27) although the car does not appear to run any different. Why can't the pump be tested without it? Assuming the port is blanked off I cannot see why the test rig cannot work with it?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
can you post pics of how you blanked the cold start off and what ticking noise did u have

x_shaun said:
can you post pics of how you blanked the cold start off and what ticking noise did u have

I did not bother with any pics as it has been done so many times before. Procedure is easy, go to diesel shop and ask for a blanking plate and a new 'O' ring for your pump, this is a standard part and is used on those vehicles that do not use the cold start device. Look at the ACSD and you will see two water pipes coming from it, remove the pipes and then either link them together or remove them and link out the connectors with one piece of tubing, it looks neater that way as well. Then locate the three allen head screws and remove them, be prepared for some diesel loss. Remove the 'O' ring and fit a new one and screw the blanking plate back on using just two screws, pump the primer untill it goes hard and top up the coolant, it really is that easy.

Just a note though, the three screws that hold the ACSD on my pump were a little short as the blanking plate is quite thick, I swapped two of them for the fixings on the air con module on top of the pump, and all is done. It may be worth checking the timing afterwards which is simple if you have a dial gauge and follow the FSM.

The ticking noise was coming from the ACSD linkage, even if I put pressure on it I could feel it trying to vibrate, further investigation shows that the ticking could be indicative of possible pump failure as a component inside the pump breaks off inside and leaves you stranded. I can do without that so went ahead with the modification.

regards

Dave

Dave, the thing to note with removing the cold start device is that it will alter the timing of the pump.

In a cold state the timing on the pump is advanced (possibly by 5 degrees, not 100% sure) and then as the engine warms up the cold start device retards the timing to where it should be.

If you remove the cold start device without re-adjusting the timing you will end up with the injection timing running advanced.

Julian Voelcker said:
Dave, the thing to note with removing the cold start device is that it will alter the timing of the pump.

In a cold state the timing on the pump is advanced (possibly by 5 degrees, not 100% sure) and then as the engine warms up the cold start device retards the timing to where it should be.

If you remove the cold start device without re-adjusting the timing you will end up with the injection timing running advanced.

You are correct Julian hence
Dave 2000 said:
It may be worth checking the timing afterwards which is simple if you have a dial gauge and follow the FSM.

Already done mate.

regards

Dave

Hi Guys
So any ideas on what to do because my IP is in Swindon and my cruiser is a good bit away.
Does anyone have a pic of the cold start so I can check if it is on mine now, I dont think it is but you never know.
Its just I would like to get this sorted if possible and have the cruiser running right.
cheers
john

I will be in the garage tomorrow, I will post you a pic in the evening.

regards

Dave

Hi Dave
Any news about the photo of the injector cold start.
Does anyone know what could be used to stop Diesel leaking from the side of the injecor pump.
Would a putty or spray on sealer work or are they just for water leaks
cheers
john

OK sorry for the delay my PC decided it wanted the weekend off, it's back now so all is well. Right I have the picture however I cannot see a facility to attach it, can you PM me with an email address I can send it too?

regards

Dave

Thanks for the photos Dave and thanks for your time Julian.
Is there anything that will seal a leaking IP just near the top where I presume a gasket has failed.
Just short term would do.
Before I try would silicon or a sealer work.
Its just its driping diesel quite notisable now.
cheers
john

John,

Unfortunatately you are going to have to strip the pump and replace an O ring at the very least.

Come on, just bite the bullet and get the pump sent down to John and Bob, they will sort it out.

Hi Guys
After taking some advice I will be biting the bullet as Julian said.
I will get Toyota to strip the IP out and send it to Swindon where my other IP already is and hopfully I may end up with two good pumps, one with a cold start and one without.
Its a pain because the cruiser will be off the road untill the job is done and the Ip sent back and refitted.
I think I will also get Toyota to take the injectors out and have them serviced aswell while its off the road.
cheers
john

Don't service the tips. They are cheap enough. Replace them.. If there is a problem with a tip, it can melt a piston. Don't fool around with used/serviced injector tips......

Back