Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dirty header tank

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
The rad header tank on my 80 keeps getting what looks like Black oil in it.

It's not excessive and is only really visible when wiping the rubber tube that lives in there.

The engine oil is changed every 3,000 miles so never gets Black, the motor uses no oil or coolant and there is never any emulsification around the oil filler cap.

As we are off to Morocco a week on Thursday, please tell me "they all do that sir" and there is nothing to worry about.

I've shown this to 4 mates now and none have a clue as to whats causing it.

The weird thing is that this Black 'stuff' isn't in the Rad... only the header tank which I washed out a few weeks ago, it also has a rubber odor to it.

Oh well, off to Morocco next Thursday so if it is anything major I guess the 3,000-4,000 mile round trip will reveal all.

Hi, Maye its just a case of over the years the coolant has started to make the rubber break down a little plus the heat factor with the rubber. I personally wouldnt be to concerned. I have two cruisers at home at the min so will have a look at those and let you know what i find.
karl

karl wester said:
Hi, Maye its just a case of over the years the coolant has started to make the rubber break down a little plus the heat factor with the rubber. I personally wouldnt be to concerned. I have two cruisers at home at the min so will have a look at those and let you know what i find.
karl
Thanks Karl, I have had a look inside one other 80 which is the same year as mine, his showed no signs of a similar occurance.

I'm running Toyota Red coolant which is premixed so I assume that shouldn't be breaking the rubber down?

Having said that.... I'm beginning to think it maybe a problem with the small (8mm) bore tube that runs from the Rad filler cap to the header tank. If it is that that is breaking down, that will explain why there is none of this Black stuff in the Rad.

I do have a feeling i have seen it before. I will check for you. If you want a second hand pipe i can bring you one to lincomb farm if your goin.
thanks karl

karl wester said:
I do have a feeling i have seen it before. I will check for you.
Thanks Karl, it would be good to know it's nothing to be concerned about.

karl wester said:
If you want a second hand pipe i can bring you one to lincomb farm if your goin.
Thanks for the offer but, I will probably order a meter of 8mm silicon hose off eBay and change it before our big trip next week.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't worry about it Paul...

It's new-ness..... pure new-ness... :cool:

I have the same thing... I think your'e right it's that little tube that is deteriorating..

Back