Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Drawer systems

pugwash

Country Flag
uk
Am in the process of re-desiging my rear drawer system- currently mostly made out of 22mm marine ply (which is total overkill).

Thinking about having a few very high quality units made up- single drawer, with a load bed across the width of the car, which will be dust and water resistant, as well as rust proof, with a few clever bits like flush tie down loops, space for safes etc etc

would people be interested in getting a few made up, and how much would be a reasonable cost?

80 only? :(

Not sure if it's feasible or practical but if the drawer(s) remain a standard width and the top shelf is contoured to fit either a 120 / 90 / 80 etc, I would be up for a set for a 120 depending on hight, ease of removal etc.

Not sure on the difference in the floor width (between wheel arches) on different vehicles. Don't imagine it to be hugely off. Maybe a 90/120 will sacrifice a compartment where the 80 has one?

Perhaps we need a set of given dimensions taken from every vehicle and see if they have a central similar flat section. IE, what's the largest rectangle you can make on the boot floor uninterrupted by anything like wheel tubs and the rear door returns. I know that the 120 is actually quite narrow in that last respect.

I think that the African Outback drawers have a single central drawer unit with different outer edges. They are nice but I still can't see a grand in them. I have found some really nice sliders that have a locking lever built in.

Chris

That's what I mean.

You are correct. The space between the arches is quite narrow. After my suspension life I can cut the lumps out.

But, making a single set of drawers and bits and bobs, we can each have a custom top.

Not overly fussed about a single / dual drawer. Are there any reasons you want to have two vs one? Weight when loaded I guess? Separate the cats from dogs?

CP

I was looking at a twin draw at the weekend for £800!. But it fitted an 80 along with D£ and the new Range Rover. So there is a bigger market for it. But it would need to be below £600 for them to sell.

Paul

Maybe the dimensions of the African Outback ones, they are actually for a navarra pick up but got them cheap so would need to be made longer/shorter to suit. They fit between the arches quite well.

LCfillers3-1.jpg

LCfillers2-1.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Paul

I'm interested and will watch this space.. I would like them for my 80 series.

Depending on how far we get, I could live with just the metal side frames (still really like the carpet / no rails approach)

If you need anything from me pls shout. Thanks for trying to get this going.. Matt

A couple of months back I acquired a set of the outback drawers from our favorite auction site to see what all the fuss is about & with the intention of preparing a set of fabrication drawing(s) (excuse the pun!!!) on CAD for pricing up.  Workload has not allowed this to date but am hoping to get on it soon.

Once a set of plans is prepared, it would be very easy to alter the plans to suit virtually any application.  However, its the usual problem of everyone wanting something different & therefore instead of making half-a-dozen the same, load of 'one-offs' would need to go though the 'shop which could/would (?) raise costs...

The principle of the outback system is very simple & I struggle to see how they justify the cost...  Maybe I'll find out in the fullness of time ;) but if enough folk are interested, maybe we can work somethings out for a common design...

Are you offering / stitching yourself up again Gav ;)
Sounds good tho! :thumbup:

I covered up the rails in the end

Boot1.jpg

Gav Peter said:
A couple of months back I acquired a set of the outback drawers from our favorite auction site to see what all the fuss is about & with the intention of preparing a set of fabrication drawing(s) (excuse the pun!!!) on CAD for pricing up.  Workload has not allowed this to date but am hoping to get on it soon.

Once a set of plans is prepared, it would be very easy to alter the plans to suit virtually any application.  However, its the usual problem of everyone wanting something different & therefore instead of making half-a-dozen the same, load of 'one-offs' would need to go though the 'shop which could/would (?) raise costs...

The principle of the outback system is very simple & I struggle to see how they justify the cost...  Maybe I'll find out in the fullness of time ;) but if enough folk are interested, maybe we can work somethings out for a common design...
Gav,

Did you ever get round to drawing up a set of plans for the drawers? I'd love a copy if you've got them?

As an aside and a new post for a couple of weeks hence, I am planning some drawers myself. I have found that there is some galvanised electrical cable tray with perfect dimensions that will bend to make the whole drawer carcass. It is of course pre drilled with hundreds of vertical and horizontal slots to take the roller bearings. Plan is to take two lengths, make two equal drawer frames that will then bolt together giving double thickness in the middle. It will stand on another box section to brace it and level it up (the 80 floor slopes).

That's for starters anyway. perfect material and cheap.

Here's the tray: It's the bottom one at 225 mm. Now the pic is rubbish - I have been to CEF to have a look and it's perfect. Light, strong, cheap, easy to work with, rust proof and loads of accurate holes. It really looks like the real thing other than there are going to be some spare holes. I shall make the drawer runners out of hollow box and size the bearings to match the height of the section. These will then be riv nutted to the drawer bodies. It's all in my head at the minute, but can't see a difficulty with any of it. The top will be one piece ply or MDF which again can be bolted down through the folded edges of the cable tray

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categori ... ndard-tray

Course if Gav comes up with copies of the drawers (that he stole from me) for £100, then I''ll have a set and not bother messing around. Oh he knows what I mean! No point trying to look innocent. :naughty:

Chris

Just taken my drawers out if anybody needs measurements,

So that you can parcel them up and send them to me......? :lol:

Chris

Only if there was a cheque coming the other way ;)

:D

Cheque, Paypal, bank transfer, cash, goats, bullion, rice, girls ..

Ok maybe not the girls. They're mine. Who else would I play chess with?

Cough.

Chris

Iron Man have just started doing drawers too, and I bet they'll be cheaper than the others on the market.

'Fraid I never quite got round to measuring [strike:cn2lgmn7]Chris's[/strike:cn2lgmn7] the drawers up chaps :oops:

It is something that I still want to do but where does the time go??? :|

Check this drawers system out, I would love one but out of my price range :(
l_cruiser_80.gif

Back