Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

pin [you know which no.]

vrecha

- Have CDL switch. Check.
- Have the cruiser automatically engaging CDL when in Lo range. Check.
- Want to control it manually with CDL switch. Check.
- Don't want to change Lo shift pattern (yet). Check. (explanation: see third line below)
- Have a little screwdriver. Check.
- Have 10 min left. Probably a little more, check.
(arriving a little early and waiting for an always-late colleague to drive together to work, civil clothes, no spares, so playing under the truck is not recommended)

Let's go, then. Plastic off, 10 seconds. Where is a little black box? Ah, here it is. Connector off, another 10 seconds. Now for the famous pin ...
1,2,3,4,5,6 ... :shock:

pin7missing.jpg

No pin 7. But the transmittion behaves stock (automatically engaging CDL when in Lo). :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

OK, tomorrow I'll check under the car but in the meantime, any idea?

No need to do all that. Just fit the dash switch then disconnect a sensor on the transmission. That now gives you full CDL control in high or low and changes the ratios in low from that harsh jumping change to the same sort of feel as when in high ratio.

Got to say, I never really understood that pin 7 mod. You don't need it.

Chris

Understand that, and will do that eventually (the CDL switch is already installed and "Hi Locked" works).

I was just curious and now I'm confused.
As I understand removing the pin 7 means that when transfer is in Lo, the CDL is not informed of this (so not locking automatically, you have to do it with a switch) while the automatic transmission is stll aware and changes the pattern to more harsh one. Disconnecting the sensor on the transmission keeps both CDL and autobox unaware of the fact that the Lo was selected, which keeps autobox in Hi change pattern (preferred, as more smooth). But my cruiser has pin 7 removed and it still locks the CD automatically when in Lo and the autobox changes shift pattern = stock behaviour, although pin 7 not present.

Are you looking at the plug or socket pin ordering to find pin 7? I've never done the pin 7 mod but isn't pin 7 the one to the left of the missing pin?

I was looking at the white plug, as I understood this diagram from the service manual:

pin7diagram.png

Don't know.
It doesn't matter at the end as I will disconnect the sensor anyway, it's just that surprise and confusion.

I think that diagram is showing you the socket not the plug (despite what it appears to say) but I could be wrong, it's not very often I look at those.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, you are right, Jon. Tnx.
Have reread the lines in the FSM and I agree. Pin 7 is third from the left in the second row on the plug.
[label for me: next time think twice before panicking aloud :oops: ]

Just to point out to those that didn't twig on.

In the diagram it shows the harness side of the plug. So imagine looking at the plug from the side where the wires go into it!!!!

Simples :D

Chris said:
No need to do all that. Just fit the dash switch then disconnect a sensor on the transmission. That now gives you full CDL control in high or low and changes the ratios in low from that harsh jumping change to the same sort of feel as when in high ratio.

Got to say, I never really understood that pin 7 mod. You don't need it.

Chris

Any idea where the sensor is on the transmission...?

Thanks

I ended up unplugging several until I found the right one. There are about three all close together. Sorry can't remember which one it was. But it works perfectly. As I said never really understood pin 7 mod. Fitting dash switch and unplugging this connection gives you everything that you could want. Maybe pin 7 is just the other end of this connector and it's simply a more elegant way of doing it.

Chris

The one at 1 o'clock looking at the back of the transfer box, it's not hard to spot :)

Chris.

I am pretty sure the reason for the Pin 7 mod is that when you just disconnect the Low sensor on the transmission, the Transmission ECU doesn't know that you are in low ratio so doesn't change the shift pattern to one that Toyota deem appropriate for Low ratio (I did like you and I'm not sure the Toyota engineers had it right anyway). It uses the same shift pattern as in high ratio. By doing the Pin 7 mod, the transmission does know that you are in low ratio (it still sees the signal from the sensor) but it doesn't automatically lock the centre diff (the purpose of pin 7). As the Transmission ECU knows about the change to low ratio it does the change in shift pattern to that one that Toyota thinks is good.

I think I understand. So with the pin mod, you still get the ridiculous lurching low ration shift pattern? But why would anyone want that. It's terrible.

Chris

Your guess is as good as mine :D - that's why I never did the Pin 7 mod - just pulled the sensor and it worked fine for me.

Jon Wildsmith said:
The one at 1 o'clock looking at the back of the transfer box, it's not hard to spot :)

Thanks - my truck already has the dash switch for the CDL but to date I've never disabled the sensor but at some point I will... now I know where to look...

Thanks

Unfortunately, Jon, wearing a digital watch as I do, I wasn't sure where 1 O'clock was. When I looked there seemed to be a couple of sensors at that position and of course it was the last one that I unplugged.

Chris

It's fairly high up, roughly where one o'clock is on the rear face of the transfer box if you're looking forwards at it :mrgreen: My memory of it is fading but when I did Ray's a couple of weeks ago that description is how I remember it being. Didn't someone post a picture in one of these type threads a while ago?

Jon Wildsmith said:
It's fairly high up, roughly where one o'clock is on the rear face of the transfer box if you're looking forwards at it :mrgreen: My memory of it is fading but when I did Ray's a couple of weeks ago that description is how I remember it being. Didn't someone post a picture in one of these type threads a while ago?

Picture would be handy, can't find it at the moment...

Jeremy

Back