Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TVSS and Carpet cleaning

Dave Burgess

Well, today was a rather flat day (a Rhubarb and Custard reference for those that might remember...)

I have been thinking for a while that the unknown TVSS alarm in my '94 truck could be a problem waiting to happen. I have a Thatcham Cat 2 Immobiliser fitted (another insurance tax effectively) so the unknown immobilising quantity of the alarm was something I didn't want to test in the rain at 3am.

I took out the passenger seat and began tracing the cabling from what I believed was the Glass break unit, but its turns out to be the full alarm ECU :pray: Here's the unit:

12092010245.jpg

Only a couple of break then re-make connections and that appears to be it. There is no immobiliser action or alarming like there used to be :dance: . Bear in mind this is the type of alarm with no remote controls, just acts on the driver's door lock.

Whilst I was in there with seat out, I thought a good clean was in order so I thought of this thread on MUD and removed the carpet for a good clean - with the pressure washer :o :? :shifty: 16 years of dirt flowed out and into the drain, but I still couldn't shift the felt tip pen ink from a previous owner's kids.

Car looks a bit empty when you do this...
12092010243.jpg

But I netted £4.87, three sticky fruit pastels, a chocolate raison and another mess to clean. It does offer some ideas for interiors and begs the comment that aftermarket or alternative seats may fit more easily than I was led to believe.

Just need the carpet to dry now :think:

Ah ha, good pic. I am in the process of bypassing the rear heater and could ditch the whole unit and use the holes for the access for the large battery cables to my extra battery :thumbup:

Could even fit the carputer in the space :dance:

Top work fella. :thumbup:

I think the carpet in my MK4 hilux is well overdue for the same treatment :roll:

Well, with today's rain the lack of carpet has shown I need to look at my sunroof drains. :roll: Never a dull day :violin:

Good work - and you beat my record of just £3.02 in loose change whilst I was removing the under seat heaters :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I managed to cobble this in with a bit of braketry while my seat was away for restoration, it's out of a ford scorpio, very comfy as well.

009_zps5b144eba.jpg

Nice work! I've just bought an 80, though our carpets weren't that bad (apart from a slight dog odour) so we resorted to steam cleaning them, they've come up ok. You've taken this to the next level! What carpet are you planning on putting back in?

I was looking over my truck last week and found a similar alarm unit. Though one of the previous owner's has removed the ultrasonic sensors, and I have no alarm fob - not sure if it ever had one. So I'm guessing the unit is already disabled.. Apart from ripping the unit out, do you have to actually do anything else to it? I've not seen anything noticeable on my truck to show its enabled in any way and the led on the centre console doesn't flash.

Cheers

Al

Back