Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Would a 100 series manual gearbox bolt straight in to an 80?

Lorin

My gearbox is the early type and ideally needs replacing due to jumping out of second and reverse gears on over-run. I know (think...) my gearbox is the H151 - though I know there were two versions - the early one not being quite so good due to dodgy synchros.

Does anyone know.....

Is the manual gearbox from a 2000 100 series (Amazon) 4.2 TD the same (i.e., would it just bolt straight in in the same way a second hand manual from another 80 series TD would)?

I may be wrong but I think the manual gearboxes on the 105 with the 1HZ engine have weaker gearboxes than the 105 petrol versions. Yon need to check this out and compare the gearbox code with the one in the 100 with 1HD-FTE engine.

Sorry if I'm being thick Rob :oops: but did the weaker box ever find it's way into the 100 series as well as the 105, or can I assume that all 100s would have the stronger box?

I have found a manual gearbox from a UK 2000 100 series 4.2TD (1HD-FT) and just want to know if it will fit in my 80 (1HD-T) as a direct replacement (i.e., without any modification necessary)

I think the R151 is the "weaker" box that you need to look out for. Definitely in the HZJ105 (non turbo), not sure about the HDJ100 (turbo).

hi 100 series box will bolt to the engine but will not fit as a stright bolt in job. The 100 series boxes are longer than the 80s. Plus the cross memer for the 100 is further back so mods to the chaise would be needed.Props to will be different. I have various props if you decide to do change. It would be easier to just put a 80 box in by far. I usually have boxes in stock if you decide to change it. That was how it was for a 12v engine with a man box going into a 100series for me anyway.
karl

Back