Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement keyfob battery

Garage
Hello,

Tried to start the Landcruiser for the first time in a few weeks and it was flat.
Tried to jump it with another car and then a powerful jump pack, it doesn't start it doesn't even try and turn over.

The hazards just flash which from my research is something to do with the alarm being active.
I still have got the keyfob thing to remotely lock and unlock the 80 although usefully there is no battery inside it.

Does anyone know what battery it takes? I've pulled it apart and it doesn't say what size or voltage battery is required.
I'm hoping that a new battery will mean I can lock it and unlock the car turning off the alarm and allowing me to jump the 80 back into life.

Poor thing feels neglected I fear.

try turning the key the on positions twice in quick succession- its the manual override to disbale the alarm on the TVSS system.

That doesn't seem to work.

Infact nothing seems to work. The nice man at Lexus Guildford who used to work at the Toyota in the mid 90s said that these alarm systems where a pain. I've got my keyfob working again but it doesn't work with the car at all.

It's pretty annoying as I need to start it as the MOT is due soon.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get it running?

Try pressing both buttons at the same time, or search on here for ways to programme it.

is it petrol or diesel- if latter is it uk 12/24v switching.

tell us exactly what is going on-

when you turn the key to the on position what lights show on the dashboard?
You say the hazrd lights flash- how and when exactly does this happen?
do the interior lights come on nice and bright?
have you touched the batteries recently and are all the connections to the terminals solid?
when you turn the key what happens- do you get a click, do the interior lights dim etc etc
what are you using to jump the vehicle? a powerpak won't get anywhere near supplying enough power to start it- a snap-on commercial 1500amp power park wouldn't power and jump start mine- neither would a trolley mounted version! For that matter a small eco-box with crappy jump leads didn't get very far either - i needed big fat jump leads and another diesel, which was left running for 5 minutes before i could jump start mine.

These are 2 big big batteries and need a lot of juice to get them going.

how discharged are the batteries- deep discharging a battery can totally detroy so it won't hold any charge at all. ideally you need to take the batteries off and take them to a battery place to get them tested and deep cycled!

i

Hi.

It's a petrol model with the single battery.

When I turn the key all the dash lights come on as they should normally but then another turn on the key to the start position doesn't do anything.

The hazards flash when I open the door or try and start the engine.
I haven't messed with the battery since getting the LC.
The interior lights come on nice and bright as do the headlamps as I tested a few things to see if I could find anything else not working.

I can hear something click the once when I turn the key but the interior lights don't dim.
The jump pack has never not started a car before. It started my 6.0 V12 Mercedes before without too much trouble.
I wonder if it's worth trying to jump it off something else, the chap nextdoor has a Unimog, I could try jumping it off that?

Do you think maybe it's a lack of juice issue? Rather than a immobiliser fault of some kind?

pugwash said:
is it petrol or diesel- if latter is it uk 12/24v switching.

tell us exactly what is going on-

when you turn the key to the on position what lights show on the dashboard?
You say the hazrd lights flash- how and when exactly does this happen?
do the interior lights come on nice and bright?
have you touched the batteries recently and are all the connections to the terminals solid?
when you turn the key what happens- do you get a click, do the interior lights dim etc etc
what are you using to jump the vehicle? a powerpak won't get anywhere near supplying enough power to start it- a snap-on commercial 1500amp power park wouldn't power and jump start mine- neither would a trolley mounted version! For that matter a small eco-box with crappy jump leads didn't get very far either - i needed big fat jump leads and another diesel, which was left running for 5 minutes before i could jump start mine.

These are 2 big big batteries and need a lot of juice to get them going.

how discharged are the batteries- deep discharging a battery can totally detroy so it won't hold any charge at all. ideally you need to take the batteries off and take them to a battery place to get them tested and deep cycled!

i

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If the battery was dead then that wouldn't explain the flashing hazards when you open the doors. I'd say it could be an immobiliser issue. Best bet is to replace the battery on your FOB and try that. Don't have my keys on me otherwise i'd have a look at what type of battery it is. Will do so tonight if need be.

Ryan Thomson said:
If the battery was dead then that wouldn't explain the flashing hazards when you open the doors. I'd say it could be an immobiliser issue. Best bet is to replace the battery on your FOB and try that. Don't have my keys on me otherwise i'd have a look at what type of battery it is. Will do so tonight if need be.

I've put a new battery in the fob and now the lights flash on the fob but it doesn't work with the car.
I followed the instructions with the helpful man at Guildford Toyota and that doesn't seem to work either.

Have you got the owners manual? I vaguely remember reading something in there about how to re programme the FOB with the car as they can become out of sync. It could be that. There should be a way to override it though which should be in the owners manual. I had a similar issue on a renault i once owned.

Let me know if you don't have the owners manual and i'll have a look tonight and see what it says.

The previous owner managed to loose their owners manual and handbook pack in their ownership. They did manage to keep the service book though.

So yes if you can have a peek in yours and see what it says about reviving the 80 after a flat battery.

I have had a look in the manual and well i'm a bit of a lazy b*stard and couldn't be arsed to type it out so i took a couple of pics of the relevant pages that deal with the "failure to disarm". I also took pics of the rest of the pages of the Alarm/Immobiliser section if you want me to post those up too.
DSC_0278-1.jpg

DSC_0281-1.jpg

Hope this is of help.

Also it doesn't say much regarding flat batteries and the alarm. Not sure it should really affect it though. I have disconnected my battery before for couple of days and when i reconnected it all up the alarm still worked fine.

I've done that but the hazards still flash.
Although now I can hear a click as I turn the key, maybe there isn't enough juice going to the starter motor.
I'll jump it off a diesel van later and a jump pack see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for taking the photos of the handbook though!

James Rothwell said:
I've done that but the hazards still flash.
Although now I can hear a click as I turn the key, maybe there isn't enough juice going to the starter motor.
I'll jump it off a diesel van later and a jump pack see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for taking the photos of the handbook though!

if you get a click ifrom the engine bay it sounds like you have disabled the alarm.

when you jump the car- connect the other vehicle up (with its engine running) and leave your car to charge for 5 minutes or 10 minutes- it ca be surprising how much charge a deeply discharged battery needs in order to allow the vehicle to start.

Well I charged the battery for a few hours and then tried to start and it turned over!!
Only 2 or 3 times and then the battery died again.

I've put it on charge again and it wouldn't even try and turn over.
I've also noticed that I have a little LED down near the heated seat switch, I never noticed it before but it is glowing red. Is this to say the alarm is on?

Hey James,

Yes that red LED is for the alarm.

If it is trying to turn over then at least you know the alarm side of things should be sorted. Just sounds like a dead battery now. Bear in mind though, depending on how dead the battery was, it may not pick up or hold enough charge to be of any use. I'd say it's probably best to replace it.

Glad you seem to be getting to the bottom of it though.

I took the battery off last night and left it on charge all night and this morning it still wasn't fully charged so left it on whilst I am at work.

When I get back I hope it's charged and I'll give it another go.
I do find it very odd that I got it to turn over but with a jump pack or jump leads from another vehicle it won't even attempt to turn over.

I hope I can get her to start tonight.

I know this might be a bit simple of me to suggest but it's worth checking. Is the gear lever in Park. It wont turn over at all if it isn't.

I kinda got caught out by this the other day. Tried to start it and nothing happened. After a bit of loud cursing i realised the gear lever wasn't in "P". :oops:

Ryan Thomson said:
I know this might be a bit simple of me to suggest but it's worth checking. Is the gear lever in Park. It wont turn over at all if it isn't.

I kinda got caught out by this the other day. Tried to start it and nothing happened. After a bit of loud cursing i realised the gear lever wasn't in "P". :oops:

Not a silly suggestion at all, I hadn't thought of checking that at all.
I'll give it a go when I put the battery on when I get home!

James

Just a pointer in case you do need a new battery, Our gerts battery isn't best so I am going to replace it before the winter sets in.

I have searched the net for a battery and they come in at around £100 but I went to Toyota today and they have quoted £84.
Will be picking one up tomorrow :D

Back