Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BEBs... more

angeloperego

Hi, here my contribution to the discussion about HDJ 80 BEBs problems.
I've just remove the old BEBs from my European baby, after 483500 km. Here you can find the pics .

BEBsHDJ80.jpg

As you can see not so bad, why?
Because I've strictly observed Toyota about changing motor oil after 7500-8000 km?
Because I've exclusively used Toyota diesel motor oil?
I do not know.
BTW my baby was perfect before, no engine problems at all, no oil consumption, no noises but now, after the BEBs substitution the motor oil pressure rised at idle and driving, according to the technical manual.
Ciao.
Angelo

{Admin edit - fixed photo link}

LC HDJ 80, 1993, 4,2L, Diesel Turbocharged, White. Totally original Toyota. No modifications at all.

And time for me to add mine into the melting pot.

Of course we have all heard the scare stories and seen the pictures.
So even though mine is a 24 valve, I made the decision to change them at 160,000. Not a difficult job at all except taking off the bl**dy sump which was a real pig.
Slot a knife in and tap it round they said :D fine if there had been room for the knife, my hand and a knocking stick :!:

Anyway, I eventually did it after a bit of sweating and the rest of the job was a doddle apart from splitting one socket whilst trying to undo an old bolt. I also had the opportunity to let it drain for a full 24 hours so very few drips on my head whilst doing the job.

So here are the photos;

SAM_1179.jpg

The only real damage is two small pits on No 1 lower and a tiny gouge in No 2 lower.
A bit of a shame I didn't leave them longer in hindsight, but well worth it for the peice of mind :clap:
All the other dots are just where I didn't clean them properly before taking the photo :oops:

SAM_1180.jpg

Good to see, Les! That gives me more comfort, mine being a 24v too :mrgreen:

Did you replace with ACL or OEM shells?

Cheers,

Tommo got them for me from Ian for fathers day. They are OEM items.

After seeing the OEM that came out after 160k I am more than happy with them.

To add to the list of BEB stories, here's mine.. 12 Valve done at 155005 miles so well overdue me thinks.. Been to scared to drive her more than a mile in case the engine blew up :?
** Hint ** Hammer a cooks knife or a knife with a wide blade in to the corner of the sump - engine block meeting place at 45 degrees
So you hit the back blunt side of the knife till it goes through. Mine went through pretty easily actually (once Chris had explained enough for me to stop trying to split the sump in half! :roll: )
Once the knife has gone through the corner, I shoogled :) it a bit and then was able to cut the entire thing off!
I strongly advise taking the 2 brackets off on the opposite side of the sump early / before you try and rip the whole thing off - that way when you do give it a go, it comes off rather than getting stuck..

Here goes, top bearings are on the top of the pic. Bearing 1 on the left, 6 on the right
DSC_0002.jpg

FULL size pic : http://www.africaaboveandbelow.com/1onleft6onright.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

http://www.africaaboveandbelow.com/closeup1.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

http://www.africaaboveandbelow.com/closeup1.jpg

THANKS to all for your helpful posts and esp Chris for all the advice and phone calls! Super stoked it's done! :dance:

Matt, glad to have been able to help. I think that on the whole, they don't look too bad at all. Nasty looking score mark on one, but in terms of erosion and deposition, there is very little. I don't think you were close to blowing up. But now you are good to go and peace of mind is everything on a trip such as yours after all. So worth the grunting and shoogling. Did you get the oil filter off though?

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah! Good to go for another 100000miles.. That should cover Africa, Australia and South America..
No joy on the oil filter but I'm bringing my tools to Lincomb so will have another go and I'm sure someone will point something out like "you're doing it backwards?!"
Damn thing won't come off and it's 10 000miles old..

Matt Wright said:
I'm bringing my tools to Lincomb so will have another go ..

Looks like Matt is providing special stage 6 :lol:

Ian

Har har Mr R ;) you should be so lucky :mrgreen:
(Seriously tho, once I was actually trying to split the sump and block it was easy! trying to split the sump in 2 is, well, challenging.. :doh: :doh: )
2 sleeps till Lincomb!

People have been asking for challenges that make them think, remove the stuck filter sounds like a good one. I'll bring my road drill for you to borrow.

Ian

And while you are doing that, I shall stab it with a screwdriver.

In terms of special stages you can?

Build me a drawer system
wire in my leisure battery
rebuild my front diff
Install my air system

Many thanks. Happy to let you do all of that for free too.

C

Back