Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting to grips with 35" tyres

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Chaps, going around in circles a bit here and as always, I rely on good advice from you all. Quite able to use the internet, but not finding what I need.

I am currently running std auto diffs on 33” tyres with 16” rims. I actually have three sets. One set of 285 BFG ATs that are completely shagged, a set of Insas that are monstrous off road and a mixed set of 255s (in Cooper ST and old pattern BFG Muds.) There will be Cooper STs in production for March I am informed so that I can make up a full set up again if I want. I lost two in the fire and the rest are virtually brand new.

OK here’s the rub, I want to go bigger and a re-gear is on the horizon. All the 33’s would be ditched in favour of 35” min. In principle, I would like two sets of tyres only. One set for everyday, driving to Scotland occasional laning maybe. Nothing outlandish – let’s say like an All Terrain. I have seen some Grabbers in 35” and they’d be perfect but can’t find anyone selling them. Then another set possibly up to a 37” in something with tread like tank tracks. Now before you get carried away with my credit card, there has to be a budget here and £300 per tyre simply isn’t an option. Maybe something 'value' like a Fedima Sirocco. If they come in 37”. They won't do many miles.

I have been trawling the interweb and I am feeling a little frustrated in trying to find a solution. It’s very important to understand that not all tyres are the size they claim to be. I looked at some alleged 35’s at JCS tyres. No way were they 35” and indeed Chas agreed that they weren’t, so this decision has to be made on reality not simply a size on a web page. It seems that both Cooper and BFG are the size that they claim to be. I stood the Silverstones, Insas and Coopers in a line and a blind man’s dog could see that only the Coopers were 35”

If there were a single tyre that would do the biz that would be great, but that’s a rainbow I don’t think we can chase in reality. The 325.80.16 Cooper STT comes in at 36.5” which is very attractive actually. But how good is the STT in real mud? I know people rate them on road and off road, but I am talking about serious conditions way above what we see at Lincomb for example. Is the less aggressive tread of the STT off set by the fact that it’s 36.5”? In other words do monster tyres get away with being less aggressive? I am not after swamp tyres like you’d put on a buggy. The Insas are formidable and if available in 37” I’d have another set today. I’d like to get a trip over the water done this year and the last thing I want is tyres like threepeenny bits humming round as I cruise down the Autoroute.

None of this grip is any good if your wheels are not in contact with the ground. So I MIGHT be considering a bit a bigger lift. We’ll see.

So what I am looking for here is experience of actual hands on some of these tyres. I know that several of you have had 35’s on - Gav, Ryan?

One set or two?
35’s v 37s
Muds or monsters
Wide or narrow
Good suppliers

Getting to grips with 35" tyres

Just to add to your selection (sorry) have a look at the Mickey Thomson Baja Claw for your extreme tyres - sold by Silverline, IIRC. And not at world-ending prices. Holding co is Cooper I think so quality is sound apparently :lol:

have 285/75r16 cooper STTs which replaced a set of Mk1 BFG MTs

the coopers are rubbish compared the BFGs when seriously off road

the BFGs would hold a candle to a set of simex (obviously nowhere near as good, but they would'nt leave you embarrassed if you knew how to drive), whereas the coopers just fill with mud and turn into slicks, no matter how you try and clear them. Amply demonstrated when taking paying punters round the 4x4 course at the bath and west show- spent most of hte time going very sideways at any throttle level.

have you looked at either Maxxis Creepy Crawlers or Trepadors? some people seem to like them.. http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-T ... awler.aspx

others don't

other options are TSl boggers- http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=13&g=1

amazing tyres- better than simex in a lot of places, but again not cheap- do sometimes come up secondhand- there was a set of 38s on devon not so long ago- iirc they measure a bit small in that size so would have been perfect.

Yep, got those up on the screen Gary but they don't look that aggressive. Need to see some up close

Chris

Thanks to other chaps there. Posts crossed in the ether. I know the STT is a good tyre in many circumstances, but there is as is clear, a huge difference between a 'mud' and an extreme like Simex or whatever.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
The 325.80.16 Cooper STT comes in at 36.5” which is very attractive actually.
Have you seen this size in the flesh, Chris? I am not sure they'd be that ideal as they are very wide. Yes, they're also tall but I think you're better off going narrow - as you've proven yourself with the 255/85s. I had a look at the 325/80 Procomps that Ian had, I think from Jon originally - they can comment on whether they caught in the wheel-well or not. They looked like flotation tyres - the 80 being quite heavy is probably better off going the "digger" route.

Maybe the size you need/want is 255/100 or 9.00x16. Narrow and tall! Not too many tyres available in this size - the Michelin XZLs do but they're like hen's teeth and maybe not extreme enough for your needs. My guess is you'd be looking at retreads like Lerma Gomme or importing something from the US at mega prices. 36" Simex might start looking like good value! :mrgreen:

If you're going for extreme muds, you're going to need 2 sets methinks :think: How are the book sales coming along? :lol:

Cheers,

Julian said:
Keith Shuttleworth said:
Hi Chris, have a look at this sight
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=simex+tyres&Country=UK&IndexArea=product_en&fsb=y
If you go 35s I would be in for a set with you to get the quota, but to be honest they seem too cheap for Simex, is it a scam? Have a look and see what you think.
If we could get a group buy together my vote would be for 35x11.5x16, tall and skinny for deep mud :thumbup:

With you on the size Julian :drool: , just need some clever person on here to check the company out......they ARE very cheap for Simex....is it a con :think:

Keith Shuttleworth said:
Julian said:
[quote="Keith Shuttleworth":c46ptn3y]Hi Chris, have a look at this sight
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=simex+tyres&Country=UK&IndexArea=product_en&fsb=y
If you go 35s I would be in for a set with you to get the quota, but to be honest they seem too cheap for Simex, is it a scam? Have a look and see what you think.
If we could get a group buy together my vote would be for 35x11.5x16, tall and skinny for deep mud :thumbup:

With you on the size Julian :drool: , just need some clever person on here to check the company out......they ARE very cheap for Simex....is it a con :think:[/quote:c46ptn3y]

personally i wouldn't touch it

company serach comes up very very light- one director called Hyatt Khan (with very little other information) and a D&B risk score of -4 ie don't touch.

2 years ago D4x4 had the sole Uk import rights for Simex. AFAIK this situations hasn't changed.... happy to be corrected though.

pugwash said:
[information) and a D&B risk score of -4 ie don't touch.

2 years ago D4x4 had the sole Uk import rights for Simex. AFAIK this situations hasn't changed.... happy to be corrected though.

oh and this is what the trading address looks like http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=104+Emi ... XD-BDr2Q-A

and the person listed on Alibabe only gives a mobile number, but is called Paul Howard.

Suggest before you o anything then you ring the listed number and ask to speak to Hyatt and see what happens

we had a bunch of cruisers out a few years back and some of the guys were running an assortment of brand new tires.
claws
good year MTR
swamper trxus
BFG MT

we are not allowed Simex tires here but i would love to run a set.

the claws sucked
the BFG sucked

it was a toss up between the MTR and the Truxs, personally, i liked the trxus, they are quiet for a mud tire on the highway, they handle great, they perform excellent on anything but ice.
the MTR would be my next choice.
the BFG, a lot of guys like them here for on/off road trade off.

most that have bought the claw won't again. they do not perform as well as they look like they should. they wear very quickly.

hopefully this is on topic and helpful.
cheers

personally i wouldn't touch it

company serach comes up very very light- one director called Hyatt Khan (with very little other information) and a D&B risk score of -4 ie don't touch.

Yep that's my worry.... otherwise I would have already bought half a dozen sets to sell. The old saying.....if it sounds too good to be true.....But keep my fingers crossed someone on here has the knowledge to check the company out and come up with a defo yey or nay.

Hi Chris,

These are Mastercraft Courser.
The same as the Cooper, (made in same factory)
Muds33.jpg

I can confirm they quite readily turn into slicks when the mud is the right consistancy.

Gra.

Guys, all really useful stuff. Andrew, I agree completely about the flotation effect. I would like something like a 11.50 or 12.50. The 255s are very good indeed and only mildly more aggressive than an AT. Think what they'd be like in 36' and about 275.

Some great tyre choices there but I have to realistically be able to get hold of them.

Chris

http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/superlug.html
i bought a set of 6 of these for the Toopie build.
what i liked was the narrow (10.5" wide) tall (36.3") and heavy sidewall (load range D).
these will fit into a 70 series with 3" of lift without rubbing. decent aggressive, decent pricing.

not sure if you can get those over there or not but might be worth a look see ...

I like the size very much, but they are a bit intermediate. Not quite enough for the off road and more needed than on road. I think a set of ATs in 35 would be great as the first set if I could find something like that.

Chris

The STT's are no replacement for Simex like tyres Chris but they might fulfill the general running about and green laning part of your requirements, in 35x12.5x16's . Swapping between the STT's and the Toyo AT's on my 100 with the Arduino correctly calibrated for both there was no difference in fuel economy which surprised me and suggests there's no performance penalty for the MT tread pattern either. That might explain why they're not as good as the old BFG MT's or the KM2's in deep mud but they made a good all rounder. On the 100 they're a bit harsher, a touch noisier and a bit less precise in the bends than the Toyo's but I left them on most of the time anyway :) I think those things would be less noticeable on an 80. Not sure how Gav's getting on with them all.

Thanks Gra, but the only bit that I could translate came out as

'All meals do not include rice or chips' :lol:

Chris

All - yep, helpful stuff, keep it coming, but what I need convincing that this stuff is actually available. There is more info out there than I had found, but still not sure I am seeing actual product available. I looked at D44 Simex. Holy S***. No, no and thrice NO.

Has anyone found a link to GG ATs in 35"? I physically saw some on a truck the other week. Deff not 33's. Had a chat with the owner but don't know where they came from. That would be a start. I don't mind the AT / road tyres being a little wider. But the muds would be better being a little slimmer rather than being like balloons.

Back