don't like the adverts?

Thread: power steering pump leaking, rebuild question

Supporter
    Where am I?
    UK

power steering pump leaking, rebuild question

don't like the adverts?
    I have a power steering fluid leak and i thought that it was just the pressure pipe on the steering box side. after having a look underneath i have noticed that the entire PS pump is covered in oil. It seems to be worst at the bottom near the return pipe. As i am fitting the hydraulic winch i thought that this should be sorted at the same time.

I have 2 options, rebuild the pump myself with a Toyota gasket kit or get a used replacement that isn't leaking. A new one sounds like its going to be pricey according to ToyoDIY. Has anyone rebuilt the PS pump? If so is this a difficult job?

Re: power steering pump leaking, rebuild question

Yep easy job, hardest part is getting the drive gear off the shaft. Took me less than 2 hours including removing and refitting.
    Cheers
    Andy

1999 HDJ100 VX Active, 160K miles and everything works (hooray)
    http://www.gw4x4r.co.uk

Where am I?

Rob,
    There's a nice write up here - although it's for an 80 GX with a 1HZ engine, the parts are the same!
    http://www.landcruiserclub.co.za/cms/in ... y+boardman

Let me know if you have an issue accessing it (LCCSA require you to register before you can access their site) - I could copy the write-up into a document and email it to you.

The gasket kit part no is 04446-60070 for a 24v 80 series.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    '98 80VX 4.2 TD (HD-FT) on Kumho KL71 285s, +50mm Ironman B lift, Airtec snorkel, CDL switch & "Gav's Custom Fabs" t/case bashplate and load-guard

Supporter
    Where am I?
    UK

Im not registered on there, could u email it to me? I could host the doc on dropbox and add a link here, if that's OK with the author on LCSSA.

So far it looks like i need the following parts:
    1 04446-60070 Gasket kit, PS pump
    1 96711-19019 O ring, PS suction port
    6 90430-16168 Gasket, pressure feed hose
    2 90430-17002 Gasket, union bolt

Take note i am replacing the pressure pipes and mounting a hydraulic winch, for future reference if you are rebuilding the pump you need:
    1 04446-60070 Gasket kit, PS pump
    1 96711-19019 O ring, PS suction port
    2 90430-16168 Gasket, pressure feed hose

Supporter
    Where am I?
    UK

Just called Toyota and its 58.06 for the lot, excluding the high pressure pipe. All those individual gaskets account for a fair bit , will shop around.

Also 90430-16168 Gasket, pressure feed hose has been superseded by 44327-30030.

Where am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Just called Toyota and its 58.06 for the lot, excluding the high pressure pipe. All those individual gaskets account for a fair bit , will shop around.
    Mr. Rubie can't help you?
    Andrew
    '98 80VX 4.2 TD (HD-FT) on Kumho KL71 285s, +50mm Ironman B lift, Airtec snorkel, CDL switch & "Gav's Custom Fabs" t/case bashplate and load-guard

Supporter
    Where am I?
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Prince
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Mr. Rubie can't help you?
    Already have a respectable quote from Ian

does anyone know anything about the variable ratio solenoid? i fitted a new pump a while ago as my steering was really heavy and for about 5 miles the steering was really excessively light- at that point something "clicked" in the steering stystem and the steering went back to being heavy. now im' presuming its the varibale speed solenoid that's not working properly- anyone know how to check or test? replacing it is NOT cheap

Supporter
    Where am I?
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash
    does anyone know anything about the variable ratio solenoid? i fitted a new pump a while ago as my steering was really heavy and for about 5 miles the steering was really excessively light- at that point something "clicked" in the steering stystem and the steering went back to being heavy. now im' presuming its the varibale speed solenoid that's not working properly- anyone know how to check or test? replacing it is NOT cheap
    have you looked at the fsm? there are a few tests which can be done on the PS system and valve specifically, although for some you need a pressure gauge.

Supporter
    Where am I?

Rob,

Have you done this rebuild yet?

Was it difficult? - mine is still weeping (did a patch job at the end of last year) so will need to tackle this sometime soon...

J
    1993 HDJ80 4.2VX (Garage)

Supporter
    Where am I?
    UK

don't like the adverts?
    Not yet, i only just got all the parts on Thursday, was waiting for some new power steering pipes. As that part came so late don't think that i will have time to do it before mid June, but will do a write up when i get round to doing it.