Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

power steering pump leaking, rebuild question

Rob

Garage
I have a power steering fluid leak and i thought that it was just the pressure pipe on the steering box side. after having a look underneath i have noticed that the entire PS pump is covered in oil. It seems to be worst at the bottom near the return pipe. As i am fitting the hydraulic winch i thought that this should be sorted at the same time.

I have 2 options, rebuild the pump myself with a Toyota gasket kit or get a used replacement that isn't leaking. A new one sounds like its going to be pricey according to ToyoDIY. Has anyone rebuilt the PS pump? If so is this a difficult job?

Yep easy job, hardest part is getting the drive gear off the shaft. Took me less than 2 hours including removing and refitting.

Rob,
There's a nice write up here - although it's for an 80 GX with a 1HZ engine, the parts are the same!
http://www.landcruiserclub.co.za/cms/in ... y+boardman

Let me know if you have an issue accessing it (LCCSA require you to register before you can access their site) - I could copy the write-up into a document and email it to you.

The gasket kit part no is 04446-60070 for a 24v 80 series.

Cheers,

Im not registered on there, could u email it to me? I could host the doc on dropbox and add a link here, if that's OK with the author on LCSSA.

So far it looks like i need the following parts:
1 04446-60070 Gasket kit, PS pump
1 96711-19019 O ring, PS suction port
6 90430-16168 Gasket, pressure feed hose
2 90430-17002 Gasket, union bolt

Take note i am replacing the pressure pipes and mounting a hydraulic winch, for future reference if you are rebuilding the pump you need:
1 04446-60070 Gasket kit, PS pump
1 96711-19019 O ring, PS suction port
2 90430-16168 Gasket, pressure feed hose

Just called Toyota and its £58.06 for the lot, excluding the high pressure pipe. All those individual gaskets account for a fair bit :( , will shop around.

Also 90430-16168 Gasket, pressure feed hose has been superseded by 44327-30030.

Rob said:
Just called Toyota and its £58.06 for the lot, excluding the high pressure pipe. All those individual gaskets account for a fair bit :( , will shop around.

Mr. Rubie can't help you? :?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
Rob said:

Mr. Rubie can't help you? :?

Already have a respectable quote from Ian :mrgreen:

does anyone know anything about the variable ratio solenoid? i fitted a new pump a while ago as my steering was really heavy and for about 5 miles the steering was really excessively light- at that point something "clicked" in the steering stystem and the steering went back to being heavy. now im' presuming its the varibale speed solenoid that's not working properly- anyone know how to check or test? replacing it is NOT cheap :(

pugwash said:
does anyone know anything about the variable ratio solenoid? i fitted a new pump a while ago as my steering was really heavy and for about 5 miles the steering was really excessively light- at that point something "clicked" in the steering stystem and the steering went back to being heavy. now im' presuming its the varibale speed solenoid that's not working properly- anyone know how to check or test? replacing it is NOT cheap :(
have you looked at the fsm? there are a few tests which can be done on the PS system and valve specifically, although for some you need a pressure gauge.

Rob,

Have you done this rebuild yet?

Was it difficult? - mine is still weeping (did a patch job at the end of last year) so will need to tackle this sometime soon...

J

Not yet, i only just got all the parts on Thursday, was waiting for some new power steering pipes. As that part came so late don't think that i will have time to do it before mid June, but will do a write up when i get round to doing it.

Back