Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air con idler pulley...........

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Well after picking up all the bits from Ian i decided to get some more work done on the Cruiser.
Cooling fan viscous coupling now changed, transfer seal done (and retimed the propshafts!, also seems to change gear better now too :think: ) but when doing it i noticed that the air con idler pulley was absolutley knackered so out of interest i called the stealer and they want £91.25 + VAT for it :!: :!: :!: :!:
Will persure other avenues like a new one from Ian but i know lots of you have stripped off the air con so might have one lying around :whistle:
Will give this a go with getting a grease nipple into it as it sits right on top of the engine so easy to get at.

On another note, i was washing more of the Plain out of the engine bay and noticed that the old viscous coupling spring could quite easily get blocked up with dirt, might be worth paying attention to when cleaning after off roading.

IMG00185-20101004-1428.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00185-20101004-1428.jpg
    IMG00185-20101004-1428.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 172
Paul said:
the air con idler pulley was absolutley knackered so out of interest i called the stealer and they want £91.25 + VAT for it :!: :!: :!: :!:
I had to change mine recently, the bearing was squealing, sounded like the fan belts needed adjusting, and was quoted £74+ vat from Toyo :confusion-confused: , £54 from Ian :thumbup:
Chas

I need one too, but not willing to spend too much on it. Just a thought can you not press the bearing out?

Just had a look, seems there is a cap pressed in by crimping the edges over. Going to have another go in the daylight as the bearing is probably just a normal one underneath.
Pulleys are available to buy off the shelf so will dig into the books at work soon.

Well, its in bits. dead easy really, you just have to get the dremel on the bits that are peened over and knock the bearing out from the back.

IMG00186-20101005-1538.jpg

IMG00187-20101005-1539.jpg

The bearing is an NSK and the number is 6301DU2 and there is also 240 written in small numbers too so should be available from a bearing supplier so will start the homework.

Attachments

• IMG00186-20101005-1538.jpg
    IMG00186-20101005-1538.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG00187-20101005-1539.jpg
    IMG00187-20101005-1539.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 159
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul

Ask Tommo where he got his. I think it was a bearing place near him so should be easy for you.

I just ordered a bearing of the correct size, incidentally i couldn't get an NSK one, but the one i ordered was quite a high quality japanese one, about 60 quids worth IIRC. I got the garage round the corner from me to press old bearing out and new one in for the princely some of a couple of quid in their tea & biscuit fund and then took it home and re fitted it, voila, about an hours work.

Footnote:

On fitting the new bearing i was appalled that when i turned the engine on the noise persisted :evil:

It turns out the noise i was hearing was not the bearing failing at all but the inner race of the bearing spinning on the boss, this was why when i got the engine soaked it squealed but once it dried out it was fine.. all a case of the water getting in there and providing sufficient lubrication for this to happen. So ultimately i got in there with some loctite bearing locker and subsequently have not heard a peep from it since!

The worst thing about all of this is that i am chasing a noise that i cant find and puting right stuff as i go.
Dont dare say what it could be.

Looks like i have found a supplier................ £3.71 +vat :thumbup:

Will call them tomorrow to make sure my cross reference guide is right as it will be an SKF replacement instead of NSK

Just a word of warning, seals on cheap 2RS bearings are rubbish so I would advise spending a little extra on getting decent bearings.

The bearing is now called 6301DDU, you can get the NSK one from RS.

You seem to have the bearing suppliers covered - but you may like to consider these people:

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php

I have used them many times for bearings and seals and found them to be quick and efficient as well as stocking a range of qualities for each specification.

Usual disclaimers . . . No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Bob.

I used them too Bob - great website and quick delivery

Well, visiting old threads again as just found this bearing knackered on my new one.

Still have a bearing as last time I did this job the bearings were so cheap I bought two, so job sorted for tomorrow.

Interesting this should come up on pretty much the very day I was discussing mine with Clive. It's spewing rusty dust behind it all over the AC compressor area and has a slight wiggle about it. I will have to change it when I'm back. :)

Are the idler pulleys the same on the 120? i have the whole compressor that came off my 120 complete with the idler pulley. that part was quite as a mouse/ and dead true. it was my main bearing inside the compressor making all the noise. if its any good to you?

Are the idler pulleys the same on the 120? i have the whole compressor that came off my 120 complete with the idler pulley. that part was quite as a mouse/ and dead true. it was my main bearing inside the compressor making all the noise. if its any good to you?
Aha, yes please but maybe we should check dimensions first methinks? I'll have a look when I get it back, or if you feel like putting a photo up with some dimensions maybe I can check off that. One way or another… could you hold it for me do you think?

Aha, yes please but maybe we should check dimensions first methinks? I'll have a look when I get it back, or if you feel like putting a photo up with some dimensions maybe I can check off that. One way or another… could you hold it for me do you think?

Yeah thats fine. i will get some measurements after work tomorrow and post my findings.

Back