Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pulling to left side when braking

Rob Johnson

Hi Folks,

My Prado has started to pull to the left under braking, the steering wheel actually rotates as you brake. My local garage has had a quick look for any play in anything and all they came up with was that the steering rack had a tiny bit of play (then quoted £1900 for a new rack from Toyota!!!).

I have a feeling it is something less serious, any ideas? It is in getting the braking effort checked today as a friend has just told me he noticed a little bit of steam coming fom that area when coming out of water when we were 'laneing at the weekend so I thought maybe the brake was stuck on a little!

Any Ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers :character-beavisbutthead:

Rob

Sounds as though your right caliper simply isn't working properly. I'd say that needed a new rack is complete tosh and anyway the bushes are only £50 on their own. If this came on suddenly, I go for one caliper not applying properly. If the vehicle grabs left, then the left caliper is working and it's the right not pulling its weight. Simple strip, clean and work the pistons in and out to start with. Pretty common. You might need a bigger service, but just check piston movement to start with.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris,

Seems to make sense, and would explain why the left hand brake was steaming, as I guess it would be doing the work for the other!

I'll see what they come back with today!!

£1,900, :o

They are taking you for a fool.
You have all the knowledge right here on the forum.
There are guys here, like Chris, and Jon, and Ian, that know more than the Toyota tech's.

Could well be the right caliper just isn't doing it's fair share of work.
The number of peop's who have stuck calipers because of laneing, is fairly common.
If the worst, then a pair of front reconditioned calipers could be an option, depending on what the brake bias chats look like after brake tests.

Like Chris has said, spending £1,900 on a rack is so far down the list, it just isn't worth tinking about.

Graham

Our very own Mr Rubie does the caliper seal kits for a few quid, fairly straight forward job if you need to replace them, but do as Chris has advised first, then you'll see if you need the kit or not ! Also do a search in the forum for brake caliper or brake seals Etc. for more info !

Nick.

Back