arduino & touchslide

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Been playing with an Arduino & touchslide this evening. The Arduino is a little computer and the touchslide is a touch screen for it, like this:

IMAG0056.jpg

Only the battery voltages and link status are live data at the moment, the rest is a mock up to see where I'll go with the UI layout. Why? Because I can and it cuts down on the number of little box's and gauges I'd need stuck around the dashboard otherwise! I currently have an IBS that gets upset when I use my Stirling DC-DC charger, a BOAB trip meter that's massive for what it does (like most trip meters it seems) and have yet to fit a transmission temp gauge. This should replace all those and give me alarms for over temp etc.

Haven't you punted this out once before Jay Dubbleyuh? Wassup? You slowing down in your dotage??? :p

Looks neat :cool: Do you use a pc to hook into this/these/WTF??? to programme it out or what? It doesn't look that cold in your garage there... :think:

:lol:

It's been mentioned before as something I planned to do but now I'm actually doing something about it. Usually I'd rather be outside or in the garage than spending even more time in front of a computer but I've got nothing better to do :whistle: and yes it hooks up to a PC for programming it and then it's stand alone.

:lol: Do you need to buy some programming software or does that come with the Arduino? Are the two items by the same supplier or are they just two 'things' that you've pulled together from experience/other sources? It looks neat :cool:

They're both from http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk and are designed to work together. The programming software for them is free off the net and the unit plugs into a USB port. Just uploading existing programs to them is easy and then writing your own gets a bit more complicated ;) It's Crispin's fault I have one, I was quite happy mucking about with pic chips but the touch screen was just too gadgety to resist having a play.

This should be the gadget equivelent of a bumper build thread :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Usually I'd rather be outside or in the garage than spending even more time in front of a computer but I've got nothing better to do :whistle:

I have a rear locker you can play with and come up with some neato plan to fit if you're that bored!! :pray: :roll:

I like the gauge-centre though! :thumbup: :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was winding Gav up Gary, he wants me in the garage working on diffs as well :mrgreen: this has just finaly drifted towards the top of the must do something about that pile and I figured posting something would make it more likely to keep on going :) You need to buy one each of the gaskets so we can compare them before we can make a plan ;)

Jon, very interested in seeing how you progress with this. I have seen some of Crispin's Arduino toys and the geek in me wants.....

fixed it now :thumbup:

I'm using one of these and one of these. Add a few resistors, transistors and maybe a relay, a box to put it in and that's it.

One of these 3D printers would be good to make a box for it but a bit expensive for a box!

The top of the 100 series dash is quite flat in the middle so I may mount this on a small mud pod with space for a few carling switches along side.

Now that printer is cool... I wonder if I could expense that ;)

Jon Wildsmith said:
fixed it now
:cool: I was going to ask which one you were using...

Whilst I was browsing, I spotted the MUX Sheild & started getting quite excited about finding one tailor made for Muxley!!!

Let us know when your new printer arrives Tony :cool:

Now that is slick :cool:

Should you ever put it into production Jon I'd be very happy to take one off you. Would you offer custom settings.... :D

Lorin said:
Now that is slick :cool:Should you ever put it into production Jon I'd be very happy to take one off you. Would you offer custom settings.... :D
Ditto me on that please Jon :thumbup:

A lot of the settings will be accessible on the touch screen, that's one of the big advantages of using that over a normal character LCD and a bunch of buttons. So things like battery switch over voltages, alarm trigger temperatures, calibration of sensors should all be in the UI (User Interface). This is much closer to my day job than building sliders etc so if I can't make a good job of this I'm in trouble :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
This is much closer to my day job than building sliders etc so if I can't make a good job of this I'm in trouble

The bar is set high then :mrgreen:

Where did you get probes / sensors etc for the base values Jon, or have you hacked an API from the OBD data stream??

And I wouldn't mind buying one off you either :) :pray:

Well done, Doctor - again :clap: :clap:

I haven't decided on sensors yet, I did say in the 1st post only the battery voltage and link status values are real, the rest are a mock up ;) Won't be ODB though because my 100 doesn't have it.

When I'm done this won't be a commercial production - cost will be parts only and you can buy the parts and make it yourself if you're so inclined :)

Any chance of a few wiring diagrams, or maybe a Dummy's guide for those of us that get :? by all the electrickery, or should i say wizardry. :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

Back