Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swingout spare wheel carrier build

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I've been wanting to build a spare wheel carrier for a while now. The plan is to build something along the lines of this:
Sparewheelcarrier.jpg

I managed to source a pair of spindles from the states:
DSC_0318-2.jpg

They are made from 1 1/4" stock, come with timkem roller bearings as well as grease seals and a zerk for greasing them up. They look and feel pretty solid.

First mission was to fit the spindles to the bumper. I have mounted two spindles, one on either side. The wheel carrier will be mounted on the one on the left. the one on the right will be used to make up a swingout jerry can holder. Planning on a trip to Morocco next year and with being a petrol and all I'm no doubt going to need to be able to carry a little extra fuel.

DSC_0321-4.jpg

Spindles tacked in place. Once checked all was square then came the fun bit of melting metal... :D
DSC_0325-7.jpg

DSC_0345-16.jpg

DSC_0344-15.jpg

Bit tricky getting in there with the stick. I eventually started bending the rods which worked seemed to work pretty well. I also still need to add a few gussets in there to make sure the bumper doesn't start to flex.

Then went on to weld the topside of the spindle.
DSC_0331-10.jpg

DSC_0335-13.jpg

DSC_0333-12.jpg

So spindles are done, just need to add the gussets on the underside and then it's ready to be painted.
DSC_0322-5.jpg

DSC_0338-14.jpg

DSC_0350-17.jpg

Next mission is start building the wheel carrier.

Have a look around for pictures of mine, as it is much the same. Just I build the bumper aswell :).

Paul

My, you have been a busy boy - looking good dude :cool:

Got a bit further with the carrier...

Bent up the main beam and got the upstand peice done
DSC_0201-2.jpg

Gotta love it when the slag peels itself off :cool:
DSC_0206-3.jpg

Added the side support and top peice that will eventually house the plate that the wheel will bolt too.
DSC_0216-3.jpg

DSC_0226-6.jpg

DSC_0212-2.jpg

DSC_0217-4.jpg

I've deviated from my original design slightly, started feeling a little creative...

Just need to make up a gussett for the section that will support the wheel and then a latch setup. Will no doubt copy what Paul did. Oh, and a lick of paint. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im really watching this build ryan.

you seem to do making a great job mate :thumbup:

Very cool, make sure you dont set fire to the shed though!!! there is a lot of wood there

Just don't confuse it with the rum!!!

Looking good dude - have you got a plate for the wheel mount? Also threaded bar for fixing the wheel on? Or another plan entirely!!! :cool:

Just a little question. Why have you get it on the wrong side :? ? No I am been honest. if you use the LC in the UK most you want it on the other side so it opens out from the kurb. Otherwise when you open it you might not have enough room to get in the back.

Paul

nice welding!

and nice bike too - don't you dry out your camelback between rides though - mine always gets mouldy if i leave it in bag...
trails nice and dry for biking at the moment!

Just how do you fit a twin wheel carrier to the wrong side then Paul? :doh:

Chris

Paul_Humphreys said:
Just a little question. Why have you get it on the wrong side :? ? No I am been honest. if you use the LC in the UK most you want it on the other side so it opens out from the kurb. Otherwise when you open it you might not have enough room to get in the back.

Paul
:?

Uh... well not sure really. I looked at Slee's website quite a bit when I planned this and his tyre carriers are on the right, so figured mine should be on the left, being RHD and all... :?:

AndyCook said:
nice welding!

and nice bike too - don't you dry out your camelback between rides though - mine always gets mouldy if i leave it in bag...
trails nice and dry for biking at the moment!

Fecking hell, how eagle eyed are you... :shock: Camelbacks been dried out a while now, haven't ridden in way too long. Need to get out soon, where do you ride?

bike all over - mainly Scotland these days = Grampians, Cairngorms
Glentress near Edinburgh

Wales, Peakdistrict, Dales in past and when we visit down there. But now i have the LC want to try driving some of the trails i used to bike!

Chris said:
Just how do you fit a twin wheel carrier to the wrong side then Paul? :doh:

Chris

If it is a twin then he is ok. Some that you can buy can be either side.

Paul

Handy for knocking cyclists off though! 10 points each. Double if they go over the handlebars. Kerching!

Chris

Paul_Humphreys said:
If it is a twin then he is ok. Some that you can buy can be either side.

Paul

Yep, plan is to be a twin carrier. Though, not a twin wheel carrier. For the other side I'm going to make something that can have different fitments bolted to it. Idea is to have a bike carrier that can bolt to it when needed and then when I do trips where I need to carry extra fuel I'd be able to bolt on a cage of sorts that can hold a few jerry cans and a High lift Jack.

Ryan Thomson said:
[quote="Paul_Humphreys":2zak9dpd]
If it is a twin then he is ok. Some that you can buy can be either side.Paul
Yep, plan is to be a twin carrier. Though, not a twin wheel carrier. For the other side I'm going to make something that can have different fitments bolted to it. Idea is to have a bike carrier that can bolt to it when needed and then when I do trips where I need to carry extra fuel I'd be able to bolt on a cage of sorts that can hold a few jerry cans and a High lift Jack.[/quote:2zak9dpd]
I had something like that in mind, :think: I was thinking of having the second swing out with a ladder and making a cage to slide over it for a jerry can or two. I'll be interested in your developments :thumbup:

Are you allowed to carry cans on the back in the UK. Not wanting to rain on the parade here but I was told that there was some 'rule' somewhere about cans, crush zones, fire, flood, pestilence, Elf n Safe..........

Hope to be completely wrong.

Chris

Back