Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

starting problems!!

revs4x4

My 70 started to struggle firing up over the last few weeks.......so I changed the glow plugs over. Problem solved? ....NO! :(

As the starting problem got worse, I got more embarrassed :oops: :oops: , looking like a right old twerp to onlookers as I cranked the engine over...and over ...and over till it stared in a puff of smoke!

Got really fed up of it, so I decided to examine the fuel system (as covered several times before), as it seemed that she was syphoning diesel back to the tank. I looked at every section of pipe...but no leaks. Vlew air back from the filter towards the tank and I eventually found a wet damp section of rubber hose near to the top of the fuel tank!! :clap: Great...or so I thought!

Armed with a new piece of rubber fuel line, two shiny new clips and a sharp knife, I set about removing the offending section of rubber (just over the rear axle)........ :shock: :shock:

As I cut the rubber, the section of metal piping from the fuel pick-up pipe fell off :o :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Managed to get the tank off with a few new welsh swear words under my belt :shh:

Need to order a new fuel pick-up pipe. Any ideas? Toyota part?

Sounds like fun and games lol. I have a fuel leak somewhere on the system on mine that I need to find, it's doing the ol' chugging and puffing out smoke for a few secs when started from cold. From what I've gleaned my leak will be somewhere between the filter and the injectors (or possibly the injectors themselves :? )..

Try Karl Wester on here for the fuel pickup pipe - he's breaking a few 70's at the mo ;)

Jim.

aye Jim...fun and games!!

just ordered the part off Toyota, decided to go with new (£34 +vat) as I really dont want the hassle of taking the tank off again. Mind you, it's given me the chance to clean and seal the underneath!!!

Oh no, sounds like a pain, hope you get it sorted, how easy was it to drop the tank? It's on my list to do in the summer to give it a check and clean it out

to be honest, not too bad a job. My 70's had a 2" lift which helped!. The breather pipes were the main pain in the backside. Picking up my shiny new pick up pipe tomorrow morning :thumbup:

new pick up pipes fitted, tank slung back in to place.......guess what....still wont start properly.

On leaving it for around 10 minutes, it looks like the fuel pump has syphoned fuel back up the system. So I fitted a non return valve between the filter housing/ pick up pump and the diesel pump on the block. Problem sorted? NO! Still the same. At a guess the pump's knackered and not holding pressure? Is it possible to fit a non return valve on the return pipe?

With the engine running I took off the return pipe and there was pressure there. Should there be?

Any ideal greatfully accepted! :thumbup: before I sell the bloody thing! :violin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1990 2.4 2lt diesel

Ive got diesel at the injectors within seconds of turning over, but she just chuggs away before starting. New glowplugs fitted, gonna give the betteries a good charge and have another look tomorrow.

getting really fed up of it now!

As far as i am aware the fuel lift pump pumps fuel to the diesel pump and any overflow goes back in the tank. Are you sure you have not got a tiny air leak that gets air in the system after a few minutes.

Does it start Ok at first start up?
Does this only happen when the engine is warm and you stop?

Sorry but i am not sure of the ful symptoms.

she runs great, no smoke, no missing. It's the starting thats the problem! It's like she's self bleeding everytime i start her up, getting progressively worse the longer she's left.

I've checked as best as I could all the fuel pipes underneath, even replaced the pickup pipe to the tank, but it's just the same. Im gonna have another look at the fuel lines tomorrow after work....

SHE LIVES AGAIN! :thumbup: :thumbup:

changed a few pipes and treated her to a new starter (I think I fried the old one churning her over! :oops: )

thanks for the pointers :thumbup:

Satrter may even have been the problem - after 2 years of flat betteries and jumpstarting my John Deere, took the starter motor to a rebuild company - since refitting everything has been fine - would have posted sooner but only just sorted this myself.

Pete

Pete

aye, I dont think the starter was turning quick enough for the fuel to be 'pumped' at any great pressure. Glad I sorted the pipework and the knackered pickup pipe as well :)

As it now starts the fuel must have been there so I think its more likely that it was not turning fast enough to draw in enough air it needs for the fuel to burn.

Back