Failed MOT

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
MOT Failure

So my landrover has failed MOT with “excessive play on driver’s side wheel bearing”
Mr-T, who is doing the MOT, wants £550 to replace it. Apparently it is also not adjustable.

I can’t say I have noticed anything other than a slight wobble on the wheel which I put down to unbalanced tyre. Very slight and only at certain speeds.

Can these be tightened up (i.e. by me). That seems a shed load to change a bearing.

It’s sitting at Mr-T now but they can only do the work tomorrow.

?
CP

Yah boo - that seems a lot for a wheel bearing change...

Crispin said:
So my landrover has failed MOT with “excessive play on driver’s side wheel bearing”
Mr-T, who is doing the MOT, wants £550 to replace it. Apparently it is also not adjustable.

?
CP
No wonder Mr T wants so much to work on a landrover

From what I remember, the bearings are a bloody expensive pain - Mr T seems to have turned them into some complete unit that you have to get - seen them in fleabay for a pile of cash. Maybe get hold if Ian R fir a comparative price??

Cheers (and good luck)

Well, bearing comes in at 179 ex-vat. Ian would probably be cheaper but I need my truck. Labour is at 2.3 hours.
Spoke to Greg who is cheaper but by the time I drive there and back, diesel will eat up the difference. :(

Hey Ho....carry on regardless.

Sent from TapaTalk

Hi Crispin,

Whats the miles on your LC ?

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
This is ridiculous. You have 10(?) days to get it sorted and re-MOT for free, no? Why not get the bearing from Mr T and have a stab yourself this weekend. If it proves to be a bugger, then cough up the cash for Mr T's brain surgeon's to use their precious time and skills to do it. Doing it yourself, you may spot a way of adjusting yourself.
I struggle to believe that loose bearings mean a complete replacement - without stripping and inspecting. :roll: Of course I understand very well that Mr T wants to fit as many new parts as possible :evil:

I'm not around this weekend so time is an issue. Evenings are also a problem.
It's a daily drive and I'd rather it "just be done"

Mr-T has reduced it to 460 all in which still stings but a bit better.

£99.50 an hour for labour...

At this rate I'll be selling it soon. Can't be p!ssing away money like this.
End rant.

Sent from TapaTalk

At that hourly rate, I'm in the wrong game!! Sheesh.

Time for a small 'commuter' Yaris and a 100 series!!! :)

Crispin, have you tried your local independant for a quote instead. I had to get both my fronts done when I first got it. I need to dig out the bill but I think I got both done for that sort of figure.

Trev

Sorry. Did you say

LANDROVER?

C

I think he was so shocked that something needs fixing on the Cruiser that it must have been a Freudian slip :doh:

Yes, I did f-ing say Landrover. This month has cost me £144 for brake pistons and seals (my own +labour), £270 for an alternator (again, + my labour) £70 for brake disks (due to f'd pistons). Now there is another 500 on on top of that.

Yes, it's a f'ing landrover.

Trevor, the price is £170ex for the bearing, £20ex for the seal (I am sure ian would get the seal for a lot cheaper) and £99.50/h for labour @ 2.5 hours.
With little chance of getting the bearing for much less and maybe saving £10 on the seal and perhaps 30/h saving on labour, there is not much to be saved. I could drive around for a week and find a backyard chap to do it but for that saving, I am niavely comfotable with Mr-T's educated folks.

/rant.

Well if you want to save on labour you are more than welcome to ask and i'll give you a hand if i can, my prices come in at biltong per hour :thumbup:

Thanks Paul - bloody expensive rates though :shock:

Feeling your pain Crispin. I dug out my old bill. Wheel bearing kit came in at £146.50 per side for front bearings (genuine Toyo parts). I can't calculate the labour as this was all done at the same time as a full service, sump oil pick up inspection and injector washer/seal change.

Crispin, see PM but also see my DIY guide from a few months back. Not that hard to do really. A couple of hours should do it, 3 if learning as well. You'll need somone to press the stub axle out and new one in to the new bearing assembly though. That's the only PITA in an otherwise DIY job and turns it into a 4 or 5 hour job.

Nuclear Chicken said:
You'll need somone to press the stub axle out and new one in to the new bearing assembly though.
I just poped along to my local mechanics workshop last time I needed a bearing pressing out & in, he charged me £20 :) If the first one you go to tells you to go away, shrugg your thick skin & go to the next :thumbup: I've always found my local Kwik Fit very good for this kind of thing, if you go in the middle of the afternoon with cash ;) Good luck :thumbup: :)

Here's an interesting thought :think: You can hire an Vauxhall Astra for £151 for a week or a Fiat Grande Punto for 2 weeks for just £260 :) Both less than the labour charge for your bearing to be fitted. What's to loose having a go yourself, get all geared up to do it & if all goes to cock hire a car for a week while you get it sorted :)

Well, it gets better :(

The new bearing will not fit into the old hub. The old hub has been distorted due to heat. This all makes sense now.
When I did the brakes, the driver's side caliper was the newer model while the passenger caliper was the older spec.
The brake disks also have much less of a lip (maybe 1mm for 88k) (I remember thinking that's cool) compared to Tony's which has less miles than mine.

I'll put money on the old caliper seizing, everything overheating and they replaced the disks and caliper but did not think there was anything wrong with the bearing.

I'll get the old bits back and see but if it did get hot, I am guessing the bearing would have been running dryer than it should?

Ouch. That sounds sh1t. Sorry to hear that boet - hope this gets it sorted though. Are they checking the other side while they're at it??

At least it'll now be covered by a Mr T 1 year guarantee, which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Back