Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Ironman foam cell shocks

Ducktape

After fitting a roof top tent and wanting to fit 265/75/16 tyres I need to upgrade the suspension with 2" lift...

Have anyone heard any reviews of the new Ironman foam-cell shocks released a couple of weeks back. I would love to fit OME, but the budget only allows for the IM option. WC4x4 will be getting them in next month and according to IM in Aus they are superior to the NitoGas shocks... (Note: Foam-cell has same part number as Nitro, but with -FE extention)

I recon that since they are supperior to the NitroGas ones and most people which had the NitroGas fitted was/is more than satisfied with them, this must be a real good trade-off vs the OME pricetag..?

Any thoughts? Thanks !

At a guess the "foam cell" is to stop the oil getting aerated when it gets hot due to the shock working hard?

But I might be wrong!

If your planning on doing high speed work on very rough terrain they might be worth it, but I'd be fitting something with remote reservoirs

Most of us that have gone the Ironman route have gone with the nitrogas shocks and no issues. Matt Wright took his heavily laden 80 through Africa including the extreme corrugations of the Moyale road and no issues with the nitrogas shocks.
Foam cell presumably would be better for high-speed bumpy stuff so if that's your plan, then get them by all means :thumbup: But chances are the nitrogas will do the job just fine :mrgreen:

Nitrogas are great :thumbup:

Might not use Ironman again as they do not resist corrosion very well, in fact, most the coating fell off the springs in the first week.

You're right Paul. When I swapped mine from the burned 80 to this one, I painted them. Must only have done a couple of K at the most. Not even driven in the winter as it was in dry dock. If I had any more I would paint them before I put them on!

Chris

Does anyone know which type of nitrogas shocks are available here? In Aus there's 2 different versions, one for light or no load and one for constant load.

The foam cell shocks are a bigger bore size which gives greater oil capacity, so they operate cooler when they're working hard on very rough terrain or long corrugated stretches. They're also probably more suited to constant load.

I have the foam cell shocks on my troopie and they performed well through Africa when we were loaded up with overland junk, but if you're not going to be carrying much weight then probably best to save some cash and go for the nitrogas.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What prices are they, if you have the nitro gas price and other foam cell ones???

Think I need 1 rear shock, so may as well do d lot as a preventative measure...

Hi Ronan,

Sorry for the late reply, did not have the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' tab ticked...

The standard IM setup ie nitrogas shocks and B-rated springs are roughly £450 + VAT
The Foam setup will come in closer to £700 + VAT (UK still don't have stock as much as I can gather...)

I've seen and heard of a few OME shocks leaking oil in under a year, IM's are very prone to severe rust in under a year... Still overly confused. I'm considering that I want Koni shocks (or even Bilstein), but which springs should go with them???

Does anyone know of a true suspension expert that can advise which springs to use with say the Koni shocks (not expensive Koni HT Raid versions) ???

So why not the IM, its only surface rust, have ordered a set for my 100 as the performance outweighs the looks.

Severe rust? I don't think anyone said severe. Peeling and surface corrosion, yes. Well they are made from steel. It's more disappointing than anything else.

Chris

Sorry, cant see your pics, it says page not found.

Here are mine after 2 years, the springs lower down were a bit worse but only surface corrosion.

IMG00067-20110109-1316.jpg

Hmm, just seen this thread...any of those people who ordered Ironman Foam Cell shocks got any feedback on them after extended use?

Thanks!

Hmm, just seen this thread...any of those people who ordered Ironman Foam Cell shocks got any feedback on them after extended use?

Thanks!

Can't reply on the extended use part... but I've recently installed them on my LJ79 and I love them! :icon-biggrin: They ride really good both off and on road :thumbup:

I'm going with EFS kit in the end, imported from FNB in Aus! :)

Thanks again Mike and Gary, and of course Paul and Chris and Scott and Tony and......(sorry if forgotten anyone)

Just to help with some info, the new Ironman Foamcell Pro as they are designated, are a completely different beast to the standard Ironman Foamcell shock. They are not a replacement for their normal range, but a very high end shock, fully rebuildable and technically far superior to their standard version. I can't comment on paint longevity in your conditions though. But essentially Ironman do gas, and gas over oil (Foamcell and Foamcell Pro), with a variation of valving available.
If anyone wants more info on any of them, or other shocks and their technical differences, I am happy to answer if I can. Maybe another thread so it doesn't get away from the OPs question.

and just to add - Chris is a pleasure to deal with - our 'local' suppliers still haven't answered a query of mine - and Chris has already delivered! Thanks! Highly recommended.

X2 for that. When FNB finally open their shop here in the UK they're going to be very busy....

To be honest, I would think the Ironman Foam Cell Pro shocks are probably a pretty good bit of kit, the spec certainly appears good and you would hope they would be pretty well made too. The springs concerned me a bit with reports of them sagging when loaded, but I have no proof of this myself.

However, as an overall kit for overland use the EFS stuff just inspired more confidence for me personally, I heard more good (and no bad!) things about EFS than OME, IM or any other brand. Add to that Chris' service via ANB was second to none and that was my decision made, just can't wait to get hold of the kit now!! :)

Back