Country Flag
scotland
Well...a rambling about stoves,

for our Spain trip we took

A meths Trangia
A MSR Whisperlite multi-fuel stove
An old Epi-gas stove

Pros and cons of all.

The Epi-gas stove was quick to setup for a brew, but we only had 2-partially used gas canisters, and could we find replacements in spain/france, tried lots of shops, and only saw one shop supplying them - on display on window, but shop was closed....
Coleman took over Epigas i believe, so coleman cylinders compatible. but rare in france/spain

MSR whisperlite, bit of faff to setup for quick brew, but compact and super-fast boiling time, faster than a jetboil i think. We even ran it off BBQ lighter fluid, and coleman fuel, also works on unleaded petrol
very hard to set it on a low burn though for simmering....
MSR great for hiking and sea kayaking though - our primary role for it

Trangia, slow on meths to boil a big pan, but reliable and easier to simmer things,

Thinking of getting one of these "kitchen" type stoves, either single or dual-burner,
like the Campingaz kitchen/chef range or the smaller Bistro single burner

dual burner more likely, as handy to have two rings when cooking up dinner
we used trangia and MSR in spain, bit of hassle

Advantage of campinggaz - is we saw the cylinders everywhere in France/Spain - the larger refillable cylinders and smaller screw on ones. However, i dont recall seeing "aerosol" style cylinders that the Bistro Stove uses?
mayble less common in Europe than UK

I also like coleman stoves, have a petrol lamp, and used petrol stove in passed. but not so keen on their gas cookers due to lack of outlets in Europe selling the refills! -

I have a coleman dual fuel stove and I can't see past it. Fuel is available anywhere as it can run off petrol or the dedicated stove fuel and ideal for weekends away. For longer camping breaks I have been borrowing a 2 ring coleman dual fuel stove. This works on the same principal but means I can cook breakfast and make a brew at the same time :D

I will be investing in the coleman 2 ring version for my next holiday and I will get the foldable oven to go on top too :thumbup:

I have the Coleman dual-fuel, double burner stove as do quite a few folk on here - excellent bit of kit if a bit bulky & being a bit gay about it, quite rattley in the back of the truck. But I liked it so much, I got the single burner version too for brewing up on the tailgate - I lurve eet :cool:

On our trip around the Pyrenees, we used Jon's Coleman twin burner fold 'n go gas stove & I must admit to wanting one of them instead now - compact & quiet out of the box... :ugeek:

With regard to the gas supply, would it run not off the big orange gas canisters that I have on the caravan with a bit of rubber tubing?? Have an on-board gas canister in the back of the truck??

The single Bistro style stove is ok for use under a kettle (slow even then) but nit much use to cook with - and the camping gaz chef thing I have is a real pain - it's too big to pack away neatly anywhere, but otherwise works well. The JetBoil is just fantastic IMO - really quick and very economical too!

Dont know what the final answer is -Ii agree Jon's stove is great but needs a proper wind shelter I think unless you can arrange to use it out the wind ...

I think i will rule out petrol dual stoves - since the mrs hates using them, and they are more faff to get going with priming and possible blockages. also hard to control the heat output.
and i have the MSR anyway when i want to make big flames! - this stove is ideal for lightweight camping

just been for a look round camping shops in Aberdeen - loads near office - Nevis sport, tiso, craigdon, millets, blacks, cotswolds - spoilt for choice

2 stoves needed really

1) quick coffee-stop/brew-ups - Jetboil looks good for this, but not sure what gas can they use yet, probably same as my old epigas
2) twin ring gas for cooking. Camping gaz more widely available than coleman gas - but maybe coleman gas stoves run off same cylinder's as campinggaz - as long as correct regulator used

these cylinders widely available in europe

MyGazBottle.jpg

and tthese smaller ones
140604430009_1_Zoom.jpg

but not these style - whioch my current gas cooker uses
140604430004_1_Zoom.jpg

About MSR. We have a xgk stove both for hiking and for 4WDing and we love it.
For hiking it packs nicely, but for 4WDing I fix it on a board so there is no issues with assembling/disassembling every time.
And it performs really well!

Pics of the 4WD MSR xgk setup.
Fits in the "kitchen box", packs/unpacks easily:
MSRxgk_00.jpg

Ready to boil water for an evening tea in a minute:
MSRxgk_01.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
now "vrecha" that is a cunning setup! - why didnt i think of that.... that would take the pain of getting sooty mitts a thing of past, no setting it up each time
still the priming palava, but much quicker setup - do you leave the bottle pressurized between brew's though

I've tried quite a few cookers and the fold & go works well, for frying the breakfast while brewing a cuppa or for a quick brew up at the side of a track and I only have to carry one type of gas, which works fine at freezing temperatures which has been a real problem with even winter mix butane canisters. The gas cans may not be available in Europe, I didn't look as they last quite well (used 2 on the pyrenees trip) but they're the same fitting as my blow torch so I'd check out the diy stores if the camping shops didn't have them :) I've cut my supply pipe and inserted a length of regular gas hose so you can use it with most regulators anyway.

Andy - that bottom gas cylinder (screw-on) is the same one the jetboil uses. We used just one of those on the whole trip, plus I'd used it in the Lakes prior to that, so pretty economical. CampingGaz also make them, so you may have confused the clip-on CG with the screw-on cylinders? Look pretty similar at first glance.

Cheers

Jon Wildsmith said:
I've cut my supply pipe and inserted a length of regular gas hose so you can use it with most regulators anyway.
tO THAT END, IT'D RUN OFF ONE OF THE BIG CARAVAN(fncj=kin caps lock!!!) /camping gas bottles Jon? Its all the same fuel non?

Gav Peter said:
[quote="Jon Wildsmith":3jntbx90]I've cut my supply pipe and inserted a length of regular gas hose so you can use it with most regulators anyway.
tO THAT END, IT'D RUN OFF ONE OF THE BIG CARAVAN(fncj=kin caps lock!!!) /camping gas bottles Jon? Its all the same fuel non?[/quote:3jntbx90]
Should do but I haven't tried it yet.

do you leave the bottle pressurized between brew's though
Yes, absolutely, even between trips, for a month or two. I know it is not advised to do so, but I do not obey all the rules. :oops:

but not these style - whioch my current gas cooker uses
140604430004_1_Zoom.jpg
I can confirm this type is widely available in Slovenia, you just have to ask at the right place (= outdoor shops, not supermarkets).

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="Gav Peter":2nwexln4][quote="Jon Wildsmith":2nwexln4]I've cut my supply pipe and inserted a length of regular gas hose so you can use it with most regulators anyway.
tO THAT END, IT'D RUN OFF ONE OF THE BIG CARAVAN(fncj=kin caps lock!!!) /camping gas bottles Jon? Its all the same fuel non?[/quote:2nwexln4]
Should do but I haven't tried it yet.[/quote:2nwexln4]Would you mind awfully doing so ASAP please?? :p

The caravan bottles are in the caravan which is in storage ;) but I've read about people doing it if that's any help.

good to have feedback!

by the way the rollup table i got from advise on here was brilliant! :clap: :D

liking the look of this stove
http://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-23609-cam ... lus-r.aspx

another option is this
http://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-22929-cam ... en174.aspx

but second one has less wind-shielding, both use big campigaz cylinders i found widely in fuel stations/campsites/shops in the Pyrenees

I did see coleman cylinders on display in a closed camp shop in Viehla...
but not in a huge Intersport in Andorra...

now for brews: the choice will be making a "vrecha" mount for the MSR vs getting a jetboil... will try making a plate first and see how that goes, since you can get petrol anywhere!

Jon Wildsmith said:
The caravan bottles are in the caravan which is in storage ;) but I've read about people doing it if that's any help.
That'll do for me!!! :cool:

Now it's possible that I may have more stoves than all of you combined. What, you aren't surprised? Humpf. I can think of 10 that I have off hand anyway. And there really isn't a perfect one for everything - back packing, a day at the races, a weekend off road, holiday. In my view anyway. There is always a compromise between dimensions, setting up, capacity etc - ooh, hang on make that 11, just thought of another, Ok, errm, whether you just want to boil water or cook for a family.

I have the Coleman double ring dual fuel and I do like it. It's been crushed, bashed smashed, incinerated, soaked and it's rusty and battle weary, but it's still smokin' my bacon. Down sides? it s technical piece of kit not suitable for clusterf***s to use. Not economical on fuel really for a long trip, unless you take more fuel but hey, they sell petrol all over the place. Not lightning quick to set up for a brew, but for a meal, it's great. Packs away well with fuel and bits and bobs inside. Nice and square to pack.

Those bistro stoves are fantastic for a day out with the truck when you want a quick something or other. Probably one of the fastest set ups available. Short trips only though I reckon. But at prices from less than a tenner now - take two! I have had a couple and they don't last for ever. Might be seals that go, not quite sure. But they can lose their whoomph after a bit. Some gas is rubbish too.

Trangia, old and venerable. Dependable, versatile, not one for a pit stop cuppa. Unless - you buy the gas burner. Strewth. OK you have to unpack it, put it together, get the kettle out etc. But I tell you what, the water will be boiled so fast that you'll be sipping your Darjeeling before anyone else. Maybe jetboil aside, as that is quicker to set up. Gas consumption low due to its 60 second boil time. It's insane, in fact it may even melt your pans on full power.

I don't have a JB but I think that for fast cuppas on the move, it's probably the king. But me? I prefer to do more than just boil water, make a brew and ferk off. I like some entertainment. So my choice - a Kelly Kettle. I keep wood inside it, lighter, paper etc. There's something magic about using it.

I haven't seen a dual ring gas burner that I especially like yet. Got to be strong, well made, well designed and efficient. Like Karl's gas BBQ really. And as you have all said, gas has to be easily available. Or take a range of fittings with you to stick on the end of the pipe.
My favourite of all time is my original Globetrotter. Still got a couple of tiny 90g pierce-able cartridges left. When they're gone it's a museum piece.

Interesting thread as I am on the look out for a new stove. :whistle:

Camperman Chris

ah - the closet stove mongers are coming out now!

11 stoves - yikes, think /i actually have 7.... so behind there,
havent got a gas trangia, but have two sizes of meths spirit burners
have got an old (30yrs) double-ring gas stove+grill, but its huge, and heavy, and takes an old blue calor cyinder - which is 30yrs old... has run out yet! not very good for on the move campoing as the cylinder is huge and 25kg..
used it for 1 month camping 15yrs ago when doing geology mapping on mull,
and we use it for powercuts at home (but now have a jenny to keep the oil rayburn going )
still tempted to get a jetboil, since they look like great gadgets

Back