Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
This started off as a build thread for my L70 LandCruiser as I began modifying it to improve it for my needs, but then developed into a complete blog of my life including me emigrating from the UK to Australia with my LandCruiser and all my worldly possessions. :icon-smile:

It details the ups and downs of starting a fresh in a new country on the other side of the world, the amazing 4wd trips, all the interesting jobs I have had, right up to where I am today.
:icon-cool:

Here we go......................................

I'm going to be doing a lot of work on my 70 over the next few months, so thought id start a build thread. :thumbup:

i guess i should start from the beginning, so below is the story of my 70 from the start, unashamedly stolen from my cruiser of the month thread. :lol:

apologies to everyone whos already read/seen all of this. :oops:

ben said:
ive owned and off roaded 4x4's for the past 5 years. previously ive had 5 suzuki vitaras, including one in Australia. i fancied a change, and chose a cruiser! id have loved an 80 if they had done a shorter wheel base, but as they didnt, i chose an LJ70. :)

after a month or 2 of searching i found one on ebay and bid and won it. after travelling down to Essex, i arrived at what was a traveller site. the chap selling it seemed genuine and honest enough, but the V5 had 3 different names on it and hadnt been sent off since the gypsy's got hold of it about 3 years previously! :shock:

i should have walked away, but i didnt and bought it. luckily a week later to my amazement the V5 came through in my name. :dance:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

a week later and the mods began! :twisted:
i used west coast for my +2" ironman lift kit and snorkel. i can honestly say there 1 of the worst 4x4 company ive ever dealt with, and ive dealt with a few. :thumbdown:

07.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

ebay bargain sunstrip made to my spec, £9.99 delivered.

11.jpg

fitted the snorkel.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

it took a bit of modification to get it to work as it was designed for a 75 + 79 series cruiser and not an LJ70, which has a different air box.

21.jpg

22.jpg

fitted a piper-cross induction kit.

23.jpg

24.jpg

got the sus lift kit on, and realised i needed bigger axle stands.

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

flexed much better.

32.jpg

34.jpg

made the winch tray next.

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

40.jpg

43.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

tested it! :)

49.jpg

next i decided to add a bumper, which consisted of 4" x 2" box section steel.

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

55.jpg

cut some 3mm steel end caps on my guillotine.

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

next i bought some 35"s off Paul in Shrewsbury, via this club. :thumbup:

61.jpg

got them fitted and did a lot of off roading!

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

gave it a good service, courtesy of milner off road!

67.jpg

decided to lift the rear number plate light and fit a square number plate, for that more modern look.

68.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

next i fitted an intercooler off a 2.8 derv frontera.

73.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

78.jpg

made a cb aerial mount.

81.jpg

built a centre console/arm rest/cb holder.

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

used it for towing.

89.jpg

intercooler pipe work arrived off ebay.

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

bought a 35" tyre for the spare off Tony-toyota. :thumbup:

93.jpg

94.jpg

off roaded it some more.

95.jpg

96.jpg

new alternator from milner's.

97.jpg

98.jpg

99.jpg

took it to the Peek district with the frontera club.

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

following a slight confrontation with an Audi on an icy road the bumper wasnt looking very straight, so i decided to build an ARB style bumper.

108.jpg

wooden template.

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

121.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

128.jpg

132.jpg

135.jpg

139.jpg

141.jpg

scaffold tube makes perfect bullbars!

142.jpg

143.jpg

152.jpg

155.jpg

loads more bumper pics, and full build, here:- viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9856

156.jpg

157.jpg

159.jpg

160.jpg

my girlfriend came to stay from OZ, and bought me some lights.

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

164.jpg

roof rack.

165.jpg

166.jpg

had the windows professionally tinted.

167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

170.jpg

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

174.jpg

wired the lights up.

175.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg

178.jpg

179.jpg

won Lincomb.

180.jpg

since then its had new boots.

DSC_0604-414.jpg

DSC_0616-426.jpg

future plans include rock sliders, rear bumper, bigger engine, new rear panels to replace the rot, and diff locks. :twisted:

just trying to get it finished before my magazine photo shoot, but work keeps getting in the way! :lol: :thumbup:

Start of my build thread then:-

yesterday i ordered a pair of rear arch repair panels from Germany.

http://www.autoblechteile.de/index.php?cPath=48_81

today i removed the bumper and winch tray ready for them to be sent off to be powder coated on monday.

P1000210.jpg

P1000211.jpg

P1000212.jpg

couldnt believe how much mud and clay was in the winch tray. i need to drill a few big holes int the tray with a hole saw before its powder coated, so that future mud can be washed out easily.

P1000213.jpg

P1000214.jpg

P1000215.jpg

P1000216.jpg

new batteries and starter went on yesterday, so my truck is now drivable again. i must still have an electrical fault some where though as ive got a lot of warning lights on the dash lit up, but these go off when the voltage charging regulator is unplugged, so i suspect this may be at fault, even though this was replaced not long ago. might have to get an auto electrician look at it.

P1000218.jpg

didnt see any point in butchering the wiring to my spot lights so ive temporarily secured them in place with cable ties and a bungee strap until the bumper goes back on.

P1000220.jpg

P1000221.jpg

i decided to re-fit the original bumper and indicators on the front to make the truck look a bit more road worthy, until the bumper and wicnh tray comes back from the powder coaters.

P1000222.jpg

im picking up the steel i need to make my rock sliders tomorrow, so work on those will begin on monday hopefully. :thumbup:

at the start of August im hoping to take my cruiser off the road for a month to 6weeks so i can strip it down and rebuild it after rust killing, painting, and waxoiling everything.

i want to remove the axles, radius/trailing arms, props, bumper, winch tray rock sliders, suspension etc. and then rebuild it all after all the paintwork is done. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Sounds good, what have you got planned? Your trucks got nearly everything done :)

this is going to be an ineresting thread :thumbup: :thumbup:

looking forward to seeing what you've got planned :cool:

Didn't see you mention gearing or a 3.0TD anyware :? :) ;)

Good to see someone getting on, Fierys just sat in my back yard looking a bit sad @ the mo :( :)

Nice work Ben :clap:
I think the bumper would look even better if you filled in the vertical bits with some plate,it would give it a bit more strength as well.

thanks lads. :thumbup:

ive got planned:-

powder coat winch tray and front bumper.

treat all rust and paint and underseal.

remove the interior, seats and carpet to check for rust on the floor pan.

underseal/waxoil the whole of the underneath, including inside chassis, sills, doors, etc.

weld in new rear arches, as the current ones are rotten.

remove axles, radius arms, props, clean up and paint them.

make and fit rock sliders and rear bumper, probably with a swing away wheel carrier. :thumbup:

i still want to fit a bigger engine at some point, but i will look into changing the ratio in the diffs. if i am re-building the diffs with new ring and pinions, may aswell stick some lockers in there at the same time. :twisted:

i picked up the steel today for the sliders. i then went to my mates and used his bender to bend the tube, and then cut and drilled the box section for the high lift jack points.

should hopefully get it welded up on monday after work. :thumbup:

still need to work out how im going to attach it on the drivers side as the exhaust runs down the length of the sill. :thumbup:

im considering body lifting it, as ive got some 2" box that would make perfect spacer blocks, would just need some longer bolts, so would only cost me about £5 all in. but id then need to modify the brackets on the front bumper, and it would obviously make the truck feel even more unstable on side slopes. :?

P1000224.jpg

P1000225.jpg

P1000226.jpg

P1000227.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sounds like you've got it worked out Ben .... :thumbup: :thumbup:

did a bit more tonight. :)

first i drilled 6 50mm holes in my winch tray. so thats all ready for powder coating now. :)

P1000228-1.jpg

i then cut 4 pieces of tube, that will form my high lift jacking points in my rock sliders.

P1000229-1.jpg

i then welded these in place in the sliders.

P1000232.jpg

P1000233.jpg

P1000234-1.jpg

next i hammered the 2 dents out of my front bumper, and then welded a piece of 25mm box along the back edge, as it had become apparant that the 3mm steel x 25mm wasnt strong enough and kept bending when being stood on.

P1000236.jpg

P1000237.jpg

next i started making the body lift spacers. :)

so i cut 8 50mm pieces of 50mm box.

P1000235.jpg

P1000238.jpg

i then marked the centres and centre punched them ready for drilling.

P1000239.jpg

i then drilled through both sides with an 8mm drill bit followed by a 12mm bit.

P1000241.jpg

P1000243-1.jpg

im going to weld a plate on one of the open sides of the box, to add a bit more strength. then i just need to buy some bolts the right length.

hoping to add some high lift jack points to the front bumper tomorrow, then it will be ready for shot blasting and powder coating with the winch tray, and body lift spacers on wednsday.

hoping to fit the body lift at the weekend, then i can finish the sliders, and then get them powder coated. :thumbup:

Good work ben! I am sat in my living room looking at how hard you are working instead of being out in my shed doing shit myself. Damn it I need some energy

spackrackman said:
Good work ben! I am sat in my living room looking at how hard you are working instead of being out in my shed doing shit myself. Damn it I need some energy

thanks Johnie. :thumbup:

im not getting things done as quickly as id like, there just doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day, or enough days in the week. started work at 6.30am today and worked till 5pm. then spent 3.5 hours working on my bumper and sliders. at 8.30 i decided to come home for a shower, dinner and beer. :)

Looks Grand so far Ben ... can't wait to see the finished vehicle :thumbup: :thumbup:

so tonight i cut the ends of the 2 pieces of bent tube to the correct andgle and welded them to the sliders.

laid the slider over the tube to mark the angle.

P1000243-2.jpg

cut and ready to weld.

P1000245.jpg

P1000247.jpg

both welded.

P1000250.jpg

P1000252.jpg

that was it on the sliders for tonight.

need to get the bumper finished ready for powder coating, so i cracked on with that next.

first i drilled 2 37mm holes in the front of the bumper, where i want my high lift jacking points to be.

P1000253.jpg

P1000254.jpg

i then cut and welded some tube in place.

P1000258.jpg

testing how well my high lift jack adapter fits.

P1000257.jpg

i also starter cutting and adjusting the mounting brackets for the bumper, as obviously after the 2" body lift goes on the bumper will need to be 2" higher.

my body repair panels arrived from Germany today.

P1000261.jpg

P1000262.jpg

P1000263.jpg

P1000264.jpg

P1000265.jpg

P1000266.jpg

P1000267.jpg

P1000268.jpg

the quality of the panels seems ok, but there are a few areas that i think will need filler.

more tomorrow. :thumbup:

Red Oktober said:
Looks Grand so far Ben ... can't wait to see the finished vehicle :thumbup: :thumbup:

thanks mate. :thumbup:

you coming to Lincomb? should be some where near finished by then. :dance:

ben said:
Red Oktober said:

thanks mate. :thumbup:

you coming to Lincomb? should be some where near finished by then. :dance:

Hopefully .... :thumbup: :thumbup:

will be a bit nervous though ... first club meet and all that :oops:

i get anxious to scared of being travel sick :shifty: do you know of a few bed and brakefast places over there

Annamarie said:
i get anxious to scared of being travel sick :shifty: do you know of a few bed and brakefast places over there

Stourport on Severn is a sort of mini inland holiday resort. B&B's as far as the eye can see.

Roger

Back