Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing belt light reset

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
How do I turn off the timing belt light on the dash?

It came on this morning at 124,800km, I replaced it at 118,000km so need to reset it.

:thumbup:

There should be a little bung in the clear plastic on the front of the instrument cluster and in line with that on the face of the cluster is a pin. Remove the bung and push the pin to reset it.

My warning light came on today at just over 120,000 miles.

I had the timing belt changed at 106k so I was a bit concerned. The AA told me that the warning is linked to the odometer, rather than a sensor and that I don't need to worry.

Still, I would good to have second opinion from one of the experts here.

Odometer.

Chris

Here ya go, you can see how it works, a hidden odometer above the main one & the reset button bottom left

Various090.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
joinerman said:
Here ya go, you can see how it works, a hidden odometer above the main one & the reset button bottom left.

Hmmmmmm . . A hidden odometer with what appears to be a worm drive linked to the 10,000 mile digit.

The worm drive passes over a small black box that has electrical connections to the reset button.

So, the black box must have a cog attached to the worm drive (can't see it) and the box counts six increments of the 10,000 mile digit and then triggers the light.

The reset button tells it to stop counting and start again.

The odometer just carries on incrementing.

Is that how it works or am I barking up the wrong tree ??

Curious now :roll: .

Bob.

The black box looks more like a small solenoid wired to the reset button which when operated resets the odometer to 00000. a bit like pressing the reset button on the trip meter. JMO

frank rabbets said:
Hi Joinerman

You realise you've run out of fuel?

Frank

hmmm, reserve light is not on, he's still got some fuel there, mind you if he just filled up and reset the trip meter then perhaps his fuel gauge does not work :lol:

Hi everybody, and I think this is my first post here..

my timing belt warning light wont reset, is there any special ignition key procedure, or just pressing it power on should do it?

interesting pic of how it all works above, but if you pull it all out you cant really test out of situ can you, so I'll just be removing the bulb if I get that far lol.

its just been done anyway, and I can remember when I hit 250k to do it again.

I think it's a mechanical counter so power on or off shouldn't matter but I think I do it with the power off.

I think it's a mechanical counter so power on or off shouldn't matter but I think I do it with the power off.

ah ok thanks that's interesting, so I should probably be able to manually reset it with a bit of poking around. maybe wait until I can get the resistors and do the temp guage mod too

Back