Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Arm rest - ideas wanted

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Guys,

I need some inspirational ideas for a drivers seat arm rest for the truck.

All ideas welcome regardless how bizarre, as I can get a buddy to fabricate almost anything out of metal.
should be removable when needed, or at least moveable.

Any budding designers/engineers out there??

Ta

Have a look at Ben's design on the 70 forum - probably somewhere in the 70+ pages of his build thread :lol: His was made out of wood rather than metal but there may be some inspiration for you there.

I presume you're thinking more along the lines of a custom centre cubby/arm-rest box thingy than a pure arm rest attached to the side of the seat?

Cheers,

I think Mal Eade has something in his 80 that would be the sort of thing you might want.

My 80 has seats with adjustable arm rests, so you should be able to order the parts if you want to go original.

Use the lid of one from a Soarer, they come in the same colour trim as the LC's they are always leather too & can be had for peanuts. If you have the fridge option it will fit on top with some screwing on. Looks like it came from the factory like it.

I'm sure you could use the whole console unit from one & make it fit with ease. Load are being broken for the engines so plenty out there.

uzz31interior.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Olazz, my 80 came with a drivers seat arm rest already installed when I bought it. You can clearly see that it's an aftermarket ad on, but has obviously been a quality job, as it's stood the test of time very well.

My 80 has only had a couple of owners, and the guy I bought it from told me that the original owner was quite a well known and popular band at the time. They had two things added to the 80 that I know of, one is a very expensive; at the time, sound system (still working), the other is the armrest.

The armrest is so comfortable and perfectly placed that I use it all the time, it really does help make the 80 even more of a pleasure to drive, especially on long journeys. Here's some pics.

157f7557.jpg

6e92c9e0.jpg

dbbfe221.jpg

48257111.jpg

bffa7197.jpg

48ae46b2.jpg

Hope those are of some help / inspiration for you!

Thats a nice armrest and a good fit! It looks to me that its from a Range Rover Classic front seat, I remember years ago when I had R.R. that the one I had was bolt-on, and when i bought a Disco I wanted to fit the armrests to that, but... Ididn't get a round tuit, by the time I did, the wish to do it was gone. Well, its a start for you.
Best Regards, Bill Westley

Hi

I remover the original centre console and fitted in a safe. In order to get the safe to fit I cut the back off it and welded another in it the same shape as the floor pan.
Then covered it with a plywood box and a hinged lid. Then I made the shift knob cover to match.
I got the padder arm rest, leather as well off ebay for £5 but it was cream, but with some black leather dye it was soon transferred to black.
This was mounted onto a block of wood to give the right height and screwed to the lid of the box.

Works a treat as you can select gears without moving the arm off the rest, it is like sitting in an arm chair.

DSCF2852.jpg

DSCF2850.jpg

DSCF2847.jpg

DSCF2845.jpg

DSCF2844.jpg

DSCF2842.jpg

DSCF2839.jpg

DSCF2838.jpg

DSCF2836.jpg

DSCF2835.jpg

DSCF2834.jpg

DSCF2833.jpg

DSCF2831.jpg

Mal

Thanks guys this is very helpful.....

Keep the ideas coming as I'm trying to get something fabricated that doesnt look like it came from the arc and looks hideaous!

Forgot to mention last night that the people that I got my drawers from (Sense of Adventure) are now doing a front cubby box - like you can get for Landies, with arm rests. Will said a group buy would secure discount. I don't have any details as yet and I haven't seen any product. But if it's anything like the drawers .....

Didn't look inside to see if you had solved this one Lazz.

Chris

Yep thanks Chris, got a custom piece from SA that works very well. Wasn't installed as its waiting for me in Cape town.

PS. was very impressed with "stonehenge" last night.

Ahh, more mysterious than crop circles!

Chris

In my 40 series in oz I had the bench seat removed and two celica seats put in, much more comfortable, and the new Waeco 15lt fridge put in between. It sits just right for an arm rest,and keeps the beer, chocolate etc nice and cold and saves getting out to get in the back!

Just an idea!

Cheers,

100% sure the armrest in Scott's Cruiser is from a Range Rover of a similar age.

Will be looking for a few myself!

Hi Olazz, my 80 came with a drivers seat arm rest already installed when I bought it. You can clearly see that it's an aftermarket ad on, but has obviously been a quality job, as it's stood the test of time very well.

My 80 has only had a couple of owners, and the guy I bought it from told me that the original owner was quite a well known and popular band at the time. They had two things added to the 80 that I know of, one is a very expensive; at the time, sound system (still working), the other is the armrest.

The armrest is so comfortable and perfectly placed that I use it all the time, it really does help make the 80 even more of a pleasure to drive, especially on long journeys. Here's some pics.

View attachment 72800

View attachment 72801

View attachment 72802

View attachment 72803

View attachment 72804

View attachment 72805

Hope those are of some help / inspiration for you!

Hi Scott, this is exactly what I'm looking for!
Can you tell us how the armrest is mounted to the seat? As far as I can see it is just one bolt?
You response is really appreciated,
Kindest regards, Jurgen

Hi Jurgen, I never had the need to remove the armrest so I don't know how it was mounted, it does look like one bolt passing into the seat, but what its screwed into I have no idea. There is a post earlier in the thread where Bill suspects the armrest may have originated from a Range Rover, a quick google does show armrests of the same shape fitted to later Range Rover Classics.

Brings back memories looking at those pictures, that was such a nice 80. Its now on its third forum member and still going strong.

been mulling this one over for a while now
given that your pneumatic seats can move up and down over a fair range, I think any armrest secured by a single pivot will break or bend during some more energetic driving - this may be disappointing at least or self-damaging at worst.
The single stalk type would be ok for a low-level road only vehicle where things would never get bumpy
(by the way, also check the safety belt stalks that they cannot stab you in the ribs...)
do you have enough space to fit a small cooler/fridge between the seats and reinforce / re-pad the whole lid - something that may potentially/ unintentionally get stepped upon? If possible -mount the fridge on a hydraulic /spring mount that moves in sympathy with the drivers' chair...
rgds

Back