Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Programming a new keyfob

stu-pid

My landcruiser only came with the master key, no remote fobs. I read instructions online to program a new fob by pressing the reset button on the alarm box behind the radio so ive bought a fob on ebay.
Took the radio out today and found the black box cable tied to the steel bar with tvss on the label, there is no metal plate on it to prise back and as far as i can see there is no reset button, there is a plastic guard riveted over the plug connector which i prised off but nothing underneath. I even took out the unit and opened it up, i cant see any reset button on the circuit board!
Am i missing something or do the D4D engined colorados have a different alarm?

I cant remember exactly how I reprogrammed mine, but I think it was a guide for a toyota Corolla, which uses the same key fob

I did something along the line of getting in the car. holding down my finger on one of the buttons, I think the open Button, meanwhile detach the key fob battery for about 10 seconds and then place it back with your finger still on the button. Then it should work!

Give it a go! :thumbup:

Fiery's not a D4D Collie, but to synchronize my Key-fobs to the alarm all I had to do was hold both buttons down for 2 seconds while in range of the vehicle and Voila :)

sae70 said:
Fiery's not a D4D Collie, but to synchronize my Key-fobs to the alarm all I had to do was hold both buttons down for 2 seconds while in range of the vehicle and Voila :)

In the manual it says that, but it never works.... :doh:

That just re-syncs an existing fob to the original alarm. It does not programme a completely alien fob to the alarm. If it did, all you would need to do to steal a car would be to stand next to it and press both buttons on any fob and you'd be away!! On the non D4D you have to press the reset on the ecu and then activate the fobs one at a time. The D4D must therefore be different. The answer cannot be in the fob alone. It must include the alarm unit in the vehicle.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've got an '02 Colie D4D LWB version and had to do this some time back. There is two sets of programming: 1- Programming the key buttons (lock/unlock) and 2- Programming the immobilizer

I could'nt get a key with the right shaped blade and since my only original was already bent I ordered one from MrT (£160) and programmed it myself... Wel got it working perfectly after the fith attempt...

This worked for my (KDJ95)
TO PROGRAM THE IMMOBILIZER (Do this first)
1.) All doors closed - no key in ignition
2.) Insert MASTER key
3.) Turn key from LOCK to ON five times (x5 and end on ON)
4.) Open & close the driver's door six times (x6)
5.) Remove Master key
6.) Insert New key and wait 60-70 seconds
7.) Remove New key
8.) Open & Close driver's door to End

TO PROGRAM THE LOCK/UNLOCK /PANIC BUTTONS:

1.) Turn Key off..remove key from switch and open drivers door.

2.) Insert key into ignition switch and remove (don't turn it)

3.) Lock & unlock power door locks from drivers door switch 5 times @ 1 second intervals.

4.) close & open drivers door

5.) Lock & unlock power door locks from drivers door switch 5 times @ 1 second intervals

6.) Insert Key into ignition switch and turn from lock to on twice and remove key

7.) Door Locks will cycle automatically from lock to unlock twice to confirm program mode has been entered.

8.) Take the original remote, BRIEFLY press the unlock and lock buttons simultaniously... and release...then press the lock button and release...If successful the system will cycle the locks from lock to unlock... (Repeat step 8.) for replacement key)

Important-You need to repeat step 8 for each remote you want programmed..when all your remotes are programmed moved to step 9

9.) Insert ignition key and remove to exit programming mode..

Tried all the above methods today several times and got nowhere.
I was wondering if maybe ive bought the wrong chip, are there different ones? It fits fine in the key, has two buttons and has 'valeo' moulded into the back with a label that says:
R119.3
89071-0D020
The led lights up when i push either button so i assume that means the battery is ok.
Any more ideas before i call Mr T?

stu-pid said:
Any more ideas before i call Mr T?
Go into your local locksmith and see if they can help. Toyota is your last (and most expensive) resort.

It turns out that the key i got with the car is the valet key which cannot be used to program new keys. Because i only have the valet key Toyota cannot supply me with a replacement key without replacing the alarm ecu as well at a ridiculous cost!
So my next question is can i permanently bypass the factory fitted immobiliser in some way so that i can fit an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser system that operates the central locking?

On mine

The Immobiliser works directly from the ECU using a chip in the Key

The Alarm (which works the siren/remote locking etc) works from a seperate toyota alarm unit, in conjunction with the Alarm fob on the keyring.

(This is why if you have the key you can still start the engine with the alarm blazing away)

You can indeed remove the Alarm completely (and fit an aftermarket - The higher end TOAD alarms are best in my experience) but you would still need at least one Key that is mated to the Immobiliser/ECU

If you need a new KEY - Assuming your Key starts the engine and its not the master, there are places that can scan the key in exactly the same way that the toyota ignition barrel does, read the code and place the same code on a new key (effectively copy the code on the chip as well as cut a key blank) but they would need the key (which is OK if your near someone that can do that, I wouldn't recommend posting your only key!!)

If you need a new ALARM FOB - go on ebay then as Chris says find the reset button on the Alarm ECU, and follow the previous instructions

I think on Later Vehicles Toyota have just stuck the Alarm Fob inside the Key - i.e. if your remote central locking buttons are on the handle of the Key - you have a model where the Immobiliser chip and Alarm Fob are built into the same Key mould - they are still I believe seperate units as such... But I'm only going by roughly whats inside the vehicle.

Hope that makes sense, it is early....

Dave

Not sure if i can help but my Toyota Computer has a section on pragramming keys and so long at the car is a 2000 or older model might be able to help you.

I have never had to reprogram a key so am not sure how it works but seen as it plugs into the car would assume it might be able to do the job for you.

I would be happy to give it a go only problem is that i am Maidenhead based.

warrenpfo said:
Not sure if i can help but my Toyota Computer has a section on pragramming keys and so long at the car is a 2000 or older model might be able to help you.

I have never had to reprogram a key so am not sure how it works but seen as it plugs into the car would assume it might be able to do the job for you.

I would be happy to give it a go only problem is that i am Maidenhead based.

Thanks for the offer warrenpfo your not too far away really but i think Ive sorted it, i contacted the previous owner whos details were on the logbook and they think they've still got a key for it & are going to send it to me so fingers crossed its the master key! I also contacted an auto locksmith who can program new master keys in to toyota immobilisers for £100 which is worth knowing seeing as Toyota say it cant be done!

I've got an '02 Colie D4D LWB version and had to do this some time back. There is two sets of programming: 1- Programming the key buttons (lock/unlock) and 2- Programming the immobilizer

I could'nt get a key with the right shaped blade and since my only original was already bent I ordered one from MrT (£160) and programmed it myself... Wel got it working perfectly after the fith attempt...

This worked for my (KDJ95)
TO PROGRAM THE IMMOBILIZER (Do this first)
1.) All doors closed - no key in ignition
2.) Insert MASTER key
3.) Turn key from LOCK to ON five times (x5 and end on ON)
4.) Open & close the driver's door six times (x6)
5.) Remove Master key
6.) Insert New key and wait 60-70 seconds
7.) Remove New key
8.) Open & Close driver's door to End

TO PROGRAM THE LOCK/UNLOCK /PANIC BUTTONS:

1.) Turn Key off..remove key from switch and open drivers door.

2.) Insert key into ignition switch and remove (don't turn it)

3.) Lock & unlock power door locks from drivers door switch 5 times @ 1 second intervals.

4.) close & open drivers door

5.) Lock & unlock power door locks from drivers door switch 5 times @ 1 second intervals

6.) Insert Key into ignition switch and turn from lock to on twice and remove key

7.) Door Locks will cycle automatically from lock to unlock twice to confirm program mode has been entered.

8.) Take the original remote, BRIEFLY press the unlock and lock buttons simultaniously... and release...then press the lock button and release...If successful the system will cycle the locks from lock to unlock... (Repeat step 8.) for replacement key)

Important-You need to repeat step 8 for each remote you want programmed..when all your remotes are programmed moved to step 9

9.) Insert ignition key and remove to exit programming mode..

I just did this and the remotes (2) did make the locks cycle but the remotes still do not work.
Any idea od the problem?

Back