Tyresure TPMS

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Following on from Grahams thread I decided to get a Tyresure TPMS to play with. I ordered a complete unit from here and an extra sensor and valve from here . The spare sensor is for my spare wheel, seems silly to have TPMS but if you have to use the spare for any length of time not have it monitored.

So this is what came:

[attachment=4:1brse25k]IMAG0800.jpg[/attachment:1brse25k]
[attachment=0:1brse25k]IMAG0813.jpg[/attachment:1brse25k]
Even though they give measurements on the web site the main unit is much smaller than I expected, which is a good thing:

[attachment=3:1brse25k]IMAG0804.jpg[/attachment:1brse25k]
The mini usb power connection seems quite big and bulky and may limit where you can position the display unit:

[attachment=2:1brse25k]IMAG0817.jpg[/attachment:1brse25k]
Not ideal so I took it apart to see what the options might be:

[attachment=1:1brse25k]IMAG0822.jpg[/attachment:1brse25k]
The ACC and GND pads are connected to the power input socket so I'll use those to attach a power cable and have it exit through the back of the unit, once I've worked out where am putting it and can choose the exit hole position to suit. There are some other interesting looking connections on the board but for now sorting out a tidy power connection will do.

That's all for now, till I get the sensors fitted in the next week or so and then I'll post again on how well it works and start experimenting with intercepting the sensor data for the Arduino gadget to play with.

Attachments

• IMAG0800.jpg
    IMAG0800.jpg
    880.6 KB · Views: 552
  • IMAG0813.jpg
    IMAG0813.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 516
Looks good Jon.

As a word of caution I had a TPMS setup on one of my motorbikes a few years ago, and was a great bit of kit, however come tyre change time, the muppet must have damaged the band that when all the way around the wheel and held on the sensor. Got a very bad vibration when I got to about 50-60 mph. Eventually took it back to the tyre place and the band and sensor were in 1cm pieces. So make sure when getting any work done on your tyres to tell them you have pressure sensors fitted...

I don't think the tyre place I use will damage the sensors but wheel balance is something I'll be keeping an eye on in case they cause problems at high speeds (on private roads of course :whistle: ). Should be ok though, the sensors look much like the OEM ones I could have retro fitted but this is all a bit of an experiment to see if it's very useful after all and a retro fit would cost more than I'm willing to spend on an experiment!

Watching this closely... thanks for sharing Jon :thumbup:

Impressed that you have opened up the new toy already ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I took the lack of warranty void type stickers as an invitation to have a peek inside :)

AndyCook said:
Impressed that you have opened up the new toy already ;)

You mean you were genuinley surprised?

Naw,

At least he opened it at home, and not on the way home.

Gra.

I think that was posted in Grahams thread but it's still interesting.

Went to Chemix in Stourbridge this morning to get the TPMS sensors fitted and some new wheels (same just new) put on at the same time. It was all simple enough, but there are no torque values specified in the kit so I had to do it by feel and guess how tight they needed to be. Once they were all installed I plugged in the display unit and within about a minute they were all showing correct values :thumbup: I'll let you know how it goes over the next couple of weeks and if they're not giving me trouble I'll move on to the next stage of the plan.

Just for laughs I took a picture with a front wheel in the air, not bad droop for a saloon car :lol:
[attachment=0:26pr9g9e]IMAG0831.jpg[/attachment:26pr9g9e]

Attachments

• IMAG0831.jpg
    IMAG0831.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 308
Yo JW

While you're at it, why don't you inflate your tryes with Nitrogen. Awful lot cheaper than that TPMS device you've fitted and less technology to go wrong. I had all mine (including the spare) re-inflated with Nitrogen during my recent service at Herts Tyre and Exhaust:

http://www.hertfordtyres.co.uk/Nitrogen.htm

I'll be monitoring my tyre pressures and reporting back to the forum with the results but only time will tell if the theory holds true. Alas using a manual tyre pressure gauge with a broken back isn't funny. :o

John

I was thinking of Nitrogen,

Then I decided no, because the nitrogen will escape from the same nail hole that the air escapes from.

Gra.

Jon - how did these work out? I'm guessing they went with your 80 when you sold it?

Yo JW

While you're at it, why don't you inflate your tryes with Nitrogen. Awful lot cheaper than that TPMS device you've fitted and less technology to go wrong. I had all mine (including the spare) re-inflated with Nitrogen during my recent service at Herts Tyre and Exhaust:

http://www.hertfordtyres.co.uk/Nitrogen.htm

I'll be monitoring my tyre pressures and reporting back to the forum with the results but only time will tell if the theory holds true. Alas using a manual tyre pressure gauge with a broken back isn't funny. :o

John

Any benefits with the Nitrogen inflation in the last two years John?

Jon - how did these work out? I'm guessing they went with your 80 when you sold it?
They went with the A8 when I sold it to Ian. I know he had trouble with one of the sensors needing to be replaced, I don't know if it worked ok otherwise.

Just bought a 'Steelmate' one from EBay. Works with either a smart phone or, as in my case, a screen for a rear view camera. Not yet fitted it but looks pretty good. Hideous alarm tone though but that's probably just me.

Last edited:
Back