Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing belt light

fridayman

Garage
I changed the timing belt this weekend. The timing light hadn't come on yet, but I wasn't 100% confident in when the belt was last changed so changed it anyway. I also swapped the little screw at the back of the clocks, and now the timing belt light IS on... How do I zero the counter?

This should not stop you from coming to Lincomb :naughty:

Sorry don't know have to solve the issue apart from trying to reset the light again, however that is done on a 90.

:lol: OK will search the forum a little more thoroughly next time

isn't there a little pin near the face of the speedo and a little hole with a bung on it to give access? That's how it is on an 80 so it might be the same on a 90?

Put the screw back where it was, then wait for the light to come on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
andyw said:
Put the screw back where it was, then wait for the light to come on.

So if I now stick to the 60k interval, does this mean I will always be out of sink with the warning light?

Yes it will be out of sync, the other method would be to move some cogs on the back of the speedo, will look for a link to the method.

I just found out today how to do it !!!! This will take a while so get a cuppa or something and sit back & relax. First step is to pull the instrument cluster out of the dash. This involves about 8 screws and a dozen or so clips. Then unplug the 3 wiring plugs at the back of the cluster. Once you have the cluster out remove the perspex cover (at all times after this is removed be very careful as the instruments & needles are very delicate). Now remove the 2 small screws on the speedo face. Once these are removed very very carefully pry off the speedo needle (be patient....it will come off!) Next remove the facia from the speedo and the clear plastic thingy underneath. Got it so far ? Now, on the 10s of thousands number counter ( the 6 in 60000 ), you will find a small gear and spring on an axle which drives a larger gear on the left hand side which is attached to a thing with numbers on it. This thing clicks over every 10 000 kays and when it reaches the right point a small cam on this thing activates a small stainless steel arm that then activates a micro switch. That is how it makes that annoying light come on! Now how to switch it off. Go back to the small gear with the spring. Slide the gear to one side and manually turn it by hand and the larger gear with the numbers on it should turn as well. Keep turning until you hear the little switch click. I think the number should probably read zero (In my excitement I didn't really pay too much attention to where it was). Now plug the cluster back in and start your car - the light should be gone. If it is still there you may have tuned it too far. If all is well put it all back together and Bobs your uncle. My Brother (a mechanic) and I did all this today by trial and error. If all else fails just remove the bloody lightglobe!! I hope this helps.

Back