Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting problems

mjmcgowan

Hi All

Starting problems
We recently took our 95 Series LC in to Toyota for the following as general maintenance before we head over to south America:
• Service
• Replace Condenser
• Replace Glow plugs (bosch replacements)
• Replace Injectors refurbished

On getting the car back its now having starting issues every morning.

On checking the battery meter the voltage starts at 12.8 and drops to 11.8 / 12 as soon as I turn the key to on and stays there, on turning the ley it does not start until I engage the third spare AUX battery in the back.

I have taken the car back to Toyota, they have said they have:
• Tested the batteries
• Check the Draw while the vehicle is off

They say they do not know why it’s happening and have said there not much else they can do.

Once the car has started its good for the day, however on each occasion the voltage while in the on position drops a quite a bit

My initial thoughts are something is wrong with the replacement glow pugs that’s causing a draw, however the glow plug light is going off very quickly (maybe too quickly) when turned to the on position.

Is anyone able to help us diagnose the issue or has encountered this before?

Many thanks

Martin

And it was OK and fine before the service?

Take it back, throw them the keys, tell them to fix whatever they broke, or tell them to "un-adjust" whatever they adjusted.

Simples.

Gra.

Yes it was fine before hand,

they messed up the aircon as well, it leaked all the gas out in one day, this morning they told me there was nothing wrong with it and tried to fob me off, i asked had they checked the temp of the air con, an hour later they came back admitted the new condenser was missing an o ring, and was leaking gas.....

Can't trust anyone these days...

Just remind me which Toyota garage that is, so I cam firmly cross it off my list. :thumbdown:
Seriously, the air-con is acting up also :thumbdown:
So are you going back there with it?

Gra.

We're currently in Oz so it was Toyota In Nowra, NSW.

They fixed the air con today but blank about the starting issues, going back again tomorrow to speak to the manager and see what they plan to do about it, if not i will have to find someone local to look at it and charge it back to Toyota.

they say they have done everything they can but when I spoke to the mechanic and asked how much power it was drawing in the on position he could not answer, i also asked if they have checked the glow plugs and the voltage again no answer, so there is more they can do and check.

Just hope they do and do it properly.

I replied to your post on "the other side" :whistle: .

It sounds to me as though the glowplugs aren't connected - hence the problems starting from cold. Once warm the motor starts & runs fine.

It seems to need as much cranking speed as possible to get a build-up of heat from the compression before it will fire-up.

Check that the glowplugs are wired-up and that they receive power for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had loads of trouble with starting on my previouse truck due to the glow plugs :!:

After much lazy starting I discovering that I had only one working glow plug, I fitted four brand new ones in the thought that this would fix all, but found that it still didn't seem to be as good at starting as I'd once remembered. After much mucking about I checked the new glow plugs to find that two were no longer working! Cutting a long story short it turned out to be a fault with the glow plug relay that once replaced sorted the problems.

On the other hand you speak of a service, possibly including a diesel filter?! One of my m8's had hell and all trouble with cold starting due to the diesel filter 'O' ring not sealing correctly thus letting air in overnight and diesel to flow back into the tank. Any air leak on the fuel system will cause trouble and they've had a right good play with a number of items that affect your fuel system.

hi,

just had a similar problem recently. I though it was either the glow plugs or fuel filter, but it was actually a small fuel leak underneath the fuel filter. I dont remember which hose/connection it was, but check the fuel filter visually for leaks. the mechanic said it was a really easy job to do.

This has been reported before, The fuel tank distribution and return corrodes through at the metal pipes and allows air to enter causing hard starting.
The part number is 77017?60350 for the part, its not that expensive but the fix was to just shop off the porous piece and reattach the hose.

Back