Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

light bar

dave smith

Country Flag
england
Hi chaps I'm thinking of fitting a lightbar to the roof of my 90, I know how to wire it up but the question I need to answer is, how do I route the power cable? I don't want to drill holes in the roof thats asking for trouble in my opinion.

Hi chaps I'm thinking of fitting a lightbar to the roof of my 90, I know how to wire it up but the question I need to answer is, how do I route the power cable? I don't want to drill holes in the roof thats asking for trouble in my opinion.

On the light bar on my 80 I ran the cable up from under the bonnet following the breather pipes alongside the snorkel. :thumbup:

If you see yourself selling it eventually then I'd do what Cossack said.

If not I'd, and have already, drill the roof, touch up the bare metal surface and use a 20mm ip rated compression gland.

It's been pissing out my way for a few days now and not a drop of water has gotten through.

My 1995 80's roof is full of holes anyway having taken off the chrome (good for nothing) rack thingy Mr T fitted as standard.

So I've got plenty to choose from.

Ryan's idea's the best way to keep the cable as short as possible and the roof watertight.

To try and keep all things lightbar in one thread I thought it a good idea to post here rather than start a new topic. I have received my light bar in the mail from the USA and now want to wire it up.

It has come with a wiring harness made up of the following,

Fused Pos+ and a Neg- from the battery to a relay with an on/off switch and then the Pos+ and Neg-that runs to the light bar.

My first question is why are there three wires running to the on/off switch, it looks like a pos+ and a neg- and then one other which looks like another pos+.

Secondly I want to wire the light bar in the following way. I have a carling on/off/on switch in the cab and want to have the light bar either on all the time, off or switched on when the bright lights come on.

What is the best way to wire the bright light switch part?

Interesting thread, I just ordered a 14,000 lmn light bar (32") from China, mix of spot & flood - thought of drilling the wing next to snorky and running cable up along side that - as well as the breather tube........still thinking about that though!
Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you see yourself selling it eventually then I'd do what Cossack said.

If not I'd, and have already, drill the roof, touch up the bare metal surface and use a 20mm ip rated compression gland.

It's been pissing out my way for a few days now and not a drop of water has gotten through.
Done properly, they won't leak.
I have on in my roof, no leaks what so ever in my 5 years of ownership.
Use a 20mm hole saw, a nice sharp one, and you should be OK.

Gra.

To try and keep all things lightbar in one thread I thought it a good idea to post here rather than start a new topic. I have received my light bar in the mail from the USA and now want to wire it up.

It has come with a wiring harness made up of the following,

Fused Pos+ and a Neg- from the battery to a relay with an on/off switch and then the Pos+ and Neg-that runs to the light bar.

My first question is why are there three wires running to the on/off switch, it looks like a pos+ and a neg- and then one other which looks like another pos+.

Secondly I want to wire the light bar in the following way. I have a carling on/off/on switch in the cab and want to have the light bar either on all the time, off or switched on when the bright lights come on.

What is the best way to wire the bright light switch part?

Would the other POS+ be for switch illumination?

That is a good point it does have a little switch light. Well thought out.

And idea how to now switch the light bar on when the bright lights are on?

Hi

Call me 07785 332767

Easier to explain on the phone

regards
Garry

I just spent all day getting my new hid spotties to switch properly i.e. only come on with full beam, and dash switch on. The upgraded wiring loom and negative switching had us fooled for half a day, but we finally figured it out. The extra wire on the switch is the high beam sensing wire.

Hi steve can post a linky to your Chinese purchase

Thanks

Hi folks see here for link it arrived today, exactly a week since I paid for it! Overall Quality looks great, solidly built (brackets not quite as good but should do the job). I have a mounting bracket for spot lights to mount it on, then up on the roof it will go! Couldnt do it today as photo school this morning and finished of my hid head light conversion in the snow this afternoon.......
Steve

Another way to ensure it will only turn on with high beam is to take the positive feed for the switch off of the high beam positive wire if your switch doesn't have a terminal for high back sensing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Had some fumn with the HID conversion and getting my little spots to work - no problem before HID install, worked a treat from a pick up on the lamp holder behind the headlamp. The HID unit circuit, plugs into this and worked first time - no high beam indication and no spotties :( Took a supply from the other side of the lamp holder that the HID circuit is plugged into, and spotties work on high beam as they should. Still no high beam indicator though. I purchased a module that plugs into the now unused lamp holder on the other side of the car, but that doesnt work either. Not a train crash as when the light bar is installed, you should be able to see if you are on main beam or not!

Light bar install at the weekend if time allows.

Steve

Last edited:
Just going over what I need - it draws 16amp, so I am going to have to run 5 or 6mm cable from Battery - relay- light bar. Better run a seperate ground as well, as I might not be able to get one on the roof! That means bigger connectors to the relay. Darn, that means I have to go shopping today :(

Oh well.

Steve

Hi again -all stuff needed bought and water proof 20a plug arrived this morning so have just finished the install, in the rain......... Looking pretty good. Will post piccies when it stops raining. We will have to go out in the dark later and try it!
Steve

As promised :
IMG_0732 (1024x683).jpg
You can just see the mix of flood and spot - flood are the 8 LED's on each end.
IMG_0735 (683x1024).jpg
Another front end on, also shows the little tiny spots on front bumper
IMG_0737 (683x1024).jpg
Flexible cable gland through body and up the snorkle
IMG_0740 (1024x683).jpg
Final shot
The light support bar is sort of 'temporary' - that is, it will go when funds allow a chunky roof rack! Cant wait for it to get dark so we can test and adjust the angle of the dangle ;)

Last edited:
Back